SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Trains, Space & Other
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-28-08, 12:49 PM   #316
Siara
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Im afraid the 1-144 is too new, and theres not going to be much aftermarket stuff available for some time.
I did manage to find something for Your boat though:
http://www.modelimex.com/detail/edua...-boat-viid-rev

The kit is for the VIID version, but most parts are interchangeable, apart from the mine shoots.
I think You need to open`em up Yourself. I know the number of holes, and their shape are all wrong, and the only solution seems to be either make Your own set of PE / check the electrical outlets- they do have some PE starter kits / , or cut the bit of styrene to size, and start drilling in it. Once You happy with the design, just glue them on in place of revells bodge.
Fellow i know from different forum makes ALL his parts by etching the brass sheets- check it out:
http://pwm.org.pl/viewtopic.php?t=2639

Savvy never changed the holes on his kit, instead he just sanded them open, and i think it worked good.

Master Models
Siara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 01:46 PM   #317
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siara
Im afraid the 1-144 is too new, and theres not going to be much aftermarket stuff available for some time.
I did manage to find something for Your boat though:
http://www.modelimex.com/detail/edua...-boat-viid-rev

The kit is for the VIID version, but most parts are interchangeable, apart from the mine shoots.
I think You need to open`em up Yourself. I know the number of holes, and their shape are all wrong, and the only solution seems to be either make Your own set of PE / check the electrical outlets- they do have some PE starter kits / , or cut the bit of styrene to size, and start drilling in it. Once You happy with the design, just glue them on in place of revells bodge.
Fellow i know from different forum makes ALL his parts by etching the brass sheets- check it out:
http://pwm.org.pl/viewtopic.php?t=2639

Savvy never changed the holes on his kit, instead he just sanded them open, and i think it worked good.
I do have the VIID photoetch, and plan to make good use of it. For the ballast tank floods, sanding the forward floods (from the inside) worked well for me, but as you know the detailing at the stern is simply wrong.

I'll have to scratch my head over what to do with the stern holes, I can see going through a lot of styrene trying to get the holes 'just right'

Old 04-28-08, 01:53 PM   #318
Siara
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nichols
I can see going through a lot of styrene trying to get the holes 'just right'

Welcome to the club Bill. I eat, drink, and sleep styrene.

Master Models
Old 04-29-08, 06:21 AM   #319
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Photoetch kit:

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...oduct&ID=83123

Old 04-29-08, 12:44 PM   #320
Siara
Grey Wolf

Are You going for it Bill? Im curious what its like. If it is simple enough, i can see myself on the path of etching. It opens the whole new world to modeler.

The main air supply pipes extended abowe the deck. Theres real possibility the work will be visible through the holes in the CT decking if i opt for brass.

TBC...

Master Models
Old 04-29-08, 01:29 PM   #321
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Sounds pretty simple:

How the Micro-Mark Pro-Etch
Photo-Etch System Works

You create artwork in a drawing program on the computer. You then print out the artwork with an inkjet printer onto the special film we include. Next you laminate the included photoresist material to the metal you want to etch. The film you printed on is then placed over the laminated metal and exposed to the noonday sun for 15 seconds or for 10 minutes under a 100 watt light bulb. The Ultraviolet rays from the sun or bulb harden the photoresist in the areas that are clear on the film. The black areas of the artwork block the ultraviolet rays and therefore the photoresist under the black areas is not hardened. The exposed laminated metal is then placed in a developer which removes only the unhardened photoresist. Next, the metal is placed in an etching tank with Ferric Chloride etchant. Those areas with the hardened photoresist protect the metal and will not be etched. The remainder of the metal is removed by the etchant.
Old 04-29-08, 04:36 PM   #322
Siara
Grey Wolf

The vents on the sides of the CT. Theres too many holes, as the Revell kit can be modified for specific U-boat. Instead of drilling the kit, and filling some holes, i decided to make new set of holes in the sheet of styrene.

I wasnt very happy with the result, as the styrene looks thick, even though it is only 0,3mm.

So i went with tried and tested- beer can tin.

Looks much better, and has right thickness.
TBC...

Master Models
Old 04-29-08, 06:54 PM   #323
bert8for3
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 110

Who said beer isn't good for you
Old 04-30-08, 02:08 AM   #324
Siara
Grey Wolf

In moderate quantities- Yes.

TBC...

Master Models
Old 05-01-08, 01:00 PM   #325
Siara
Grey Wolf

The CT holes finished. It took me few attempts with the filla and Mr. Surfacer to get it just right.

Test fiting the top part. The work ive done on the air ducts was not in vain, as the pipes are well visible through the deck.

TBC...

Master Models
Old 05-03-08, 09:41 AM   #326
Siara
Grey Wolf

Two squere holes on the sides of CT were drilled out, stretched sprue was glued in.

The hatch on the front bulge, covering the magnetic compass. PE from Eduard. Holes drilled, and squered up, walls thinned.

TBC...

Master Models
Old 05-03-08, 09:48 AM   #327
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Sounds pretty simple:

Photo-Etch System Works

You create artwork in a drawing program on the computer. You then print out the artwork with an inkjet printer onto the special film we include. Next you laminate the included photoresist material to the metal you want to etch. The film you printed on is then placed over the laminated metal and exposed to the noonday sun for 15 seconds or for 10 minutes under a 100 watt light bulb. The Ultraviolet rays from the sun or bulb harden the photoresist in the areas that are clear on the film. The black areas of the artwork block the ultraviolet rays and therefore the photoresist under the black areas is not hardened. The exposed laminated metal is then placed in a developer which removes only the unhardened photoresist. Next, the metal is placed in an etching tank with Ferric Chloride etchant. Those areas with the hardened photoresist protect the metal and will not be etched. The remainder of the metal is removed by the etchant.
Bah, child's play. You need to etch with HF (BOE) buffered oxide etch. I also have a plasma etcher.:hmm:
Old 05-04-08, 06:17 AM   #328
Siara
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee
Quote:
Sounds pretty simple:

Photo-Etch System Works

Bah, child's play. You need to etch with HF (BOE) buffered oxide etch. I also have a plasma etcher.:hmm:
Irony, or do You realy think this is easy? :hmm: Sounds complete gibberish to me.

TBC...

Master Models
Old 05-04-08, 07:33 AM   #329
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siara
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee
Quote:
Sounds pretty simple:

Photo-Etch System Works

Irony, or do You realy think this is easy? :hmm: Sounds complete gibberish to me.

TBC...

Nice work! In all seriousness, I didn't know you could make your own photo-etched parts. All of those chemicals are pretty nasty, you'd need your own chemistry lab to work with them.
Old 05-04-08, 08:18 AM   #330
Siara
Grey Wolf

Its definitely worth exploring, as possibilities are endless.

Back to model, the ammunition hatch was replaced by PE from Eduard.

TBC...

Master Models

Tags
model, scale models