SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-16-09, 07:51 PM   #1
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default sonar view is too low and to far away

i noticed the position of the view for the sonar is only 3 feet off the ground!

i mean look at the guy next to you and your eye level with his belly button and you should be close enough to at least read the numbers better too.

has anyone done a mod that fixes this terrible camera positioning?
Old 04-17-09, 01:35 AM   #2
vanjast
Sea Lord

Downloads: 783
Uploads: 4

I've never seen an operator 'standing' a complete watch. I'm sure the radar operator position is incorrect, as they should both be seated.
vanjast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 09:21 AM   #3
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

well when you go to radar and look over at him, the guy is shown standing with his head clearly above the center point of the dials so he is actually standing yet the camera view is like he is seated.
Old 04-17-09, 09:50 AM   #4
banjo
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 55
Uploads: 0

I'd have to be in the game to be sure, but I think the sonar guy has a vertical unit which he looks at while standing. I think the radar guy has a horizontal unit, kind of like a desk top, which he leans on to observe. Thus the view appears lower.
banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 10:17 AM   #5
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo View Post
I'd have to be in the game to be sure, but I think the sonar guy has a vertical unit which he looks at while standing. I think the radar guy has a horizontal unit, kind of like a desk top, which he leans on to observe. Thus the view appears lower.

you are correct about the equipt but the sonar has the too low view.

its like your sitting at your kitchen table and the sonar dial is a picture on the wall.

you have to look up and to the right to see it and your view is in my opinion needs to be shifted over some to get a better view if the dial. right now its closer to the range to target guage thats looked at the least.

when im trying to zero in on a sonar bearing i cant even see what the damn heading scale is.
Old 04-17-09, 06:02 PM   #6
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

The camera positions for the stations are defined as a series of dummies. For the sonar the node is called Dummy_Sonar and in the Porpoise interior for example, the node is number 357 (assuming stock). You can change the position of the dummy and the camera will change accordingly. Chnage the dummy position in the Y axis if you want to get a standing up position.

You are absolutely right. Of the three views, the sonar view is the lowest, when compared to the PPI and 'A' scope views.
Old 04-17-09, 09:00 PM   #7
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisgeis View Post
The camera positions for the stations are defined as a series of dummies. For the sonar the node is called Dummy_Sonar and in the Porpoise interior for example, the node is number 357 (assuming stock). You can change the position of the dummy and the camera will change accordingly. Chnage the dummy position in the Y axis if you want to get a standing up position.

You are absolutely right. Of the three views, the sonar view is the lowest, when compared to the PPI and 'A' scope views.

ok so its got to be checked and fixed in each subs dat and not the main particles.dat file?

i want to shift to the right as well so which axis is that?

and for the radar i wanted to move forward some so how do you shift that?
Old 04-17-09, 09:14 PM   #8
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Woah, I have to ask why particles.dat would come into play with this. That file is only for prticle effects (special effects). Anyway that doesn't matter. If you get S3D, then it will have a helper icon attached to every node that will ahve a rule of thumb attached to it. There will be a tool helper attached in the 3D model preview window that shows you which is the X axis, which is the Y axis and which is the Z axis. If all fails, you can always change one attribute and see where the node goes.

The dummy nodes are in the /data/interior folders in the structure of NSS_TYPE/NSS_TYPE_CT.dat (CT = Conning Tower). There are about three for the whole range of fleet boats. Each one has to be changed for the whole range of boats top be altered.

To move the radar forward, have a look at which axis points at the radar screen, it will be labelled with a letter and that's the axis you need to increase. You can get an idea of how the game orinetates things from looking at the default rotation of things.

If you get stuck, then just post or PM me, but it's fairly straight forward, if you look at the orientation helper in S3D.
Old 04-17-09, 11:22 PM   #9
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Woah, I have to ask why particles.dat would come into play with this.
i meant to say cameras.dat lol but either way it was wrong lol.

Quote:
The dummy nodes are in the /data/interior folders in the structure of NSS_TYPE/NSS_TYPE_CT.dat (CT = Conning Tower). There are about three for the whole range of fleet boats. Each one has to be changed for the whole range of boats top be altered.
glad you told me, i was thinking those were in the objects folder

Quote:
To move the radar forward, have a look at which axis points at the radar screen, it will be labelled with a letter and that's the axis you need to increase. You can get an idea of how the game orinetates things from looking at the default rotation of things.
so am i moving the radar or the camera position?

what im planing is to move up to look more straight down over the radars to the point you dont see the floor when you look down because you cant see your own legs anyway.

the stock view looking down shows incorrectly you have no legs and the scope tubes are within inches of the radar panel which wouldnt make it possable to stand there so that view is totally screwed up anyhow.

Quote:
If you get stuck, then just post or PM me, but it's fairly straight forward, if you look at the orientation helper in S3D.

thanks
Old 04-18-09, 04:37 AM   #10
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEBSTER View Post
so am i moving the radar or the camera position?
The way the game works, in order to make it easy for the different interiors to work, there's a bit of interplay between the two parts. In cameras.dat there's the list of the properties of all the camera, e.g. how it is constrained and how far it can rotate up and right/left, whether it is affected by sway and DCs (Mech Shocks Pendulum) and in the interiors file, there's a point in space that tells the game where to put the virtual camera. This makes it easy for a new interior to be made, as all you have to do is to put a point in space and aim it at the radar set and you don't need to worry about camera properties.

What you want to do is to move the point in space that the virtual camera 'sits on' and then the virtual camera will move with that point. Move the point closer to the radar and the camera will get closer to the radar, rotate it and the camera will start in that position.

Open the file up in S3D and take a look at that node - I'm getting a bit confused now as I thought you said sonar, but now it's the radar . The sonar camera position node is Dummy_Sonar, the PPI camera position is something like Dummy_AScope and the 'A' Scope camera node is called Dummy_PPI (They are backwards labelled). It should be fairly obvious when you open it up with S3D, as you'll be able to recognise the positions the cameras are in from the game.
Old 04-18-09, 06:53 PM   #11
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
I'm getting a bit confused now as I thought you said sonar, but now it's the radar .
well im looking to correct both positons but i figured after finding out how to adjust the sonar view i would use the same method to then adjust the PPI radar view as well. i just left the PPI out of the original question because i figured the answer to moving it would be the same as the solution for moving the sonar.