SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-10-09, 11:00 AM   #1
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Default Internet radio streamin what do I need?

My wife is wanting a portable internet radio to listen to russian radio streamed over the net. She is wanting something that she can take to the bedroom upstairs but it is confusing as to what I need?

If she wants something to take upstairs then it has to be wireless but at the moment I don't have any wireless unit on my PC or a wireless router. I assume I'd need to go down that road as I think it is daft if I need the PC on.

Please help me out as the prices for these things are expensive.
Old 05-10-09, 12:20 PM   #2
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 0

Buy a smart phone of some sort with built in Wifi support. A Windows Mobile PC type version will allow you to stream whatever you want over wifi with any type of player you want.

An alternative is an iPhone or iPod touch. Not sure what formats that will support though since its Apple. Probably MP3 at the minimum as well as Apples AAC. The two largest broadcasts. Ogg is almost as prevalent as AAC on the streaming networks so you might have a problem with the Apple route if you can't find an alternative player. Russians are known for liking Ogg so its quite common over there.

A pocketPC would also work.

Just some ideas.

-S
Old 05-10-09, 12:50 PM   #3
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

I'll need to get a wireless router so that I don't have to have my main PC turned on. It then is a case of choosing a decent though not too pricey radio set that can be taken anywhere in teh house. I count apple out as I just don't like apple.
Old 05-10-09, 01:16 PM   #4
Thomen
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 14

Another possibility: Try a Net Book (with WLAN adapter and as Subman mentioned) and a WLAN router. Might even be cheaper then a Smart Phone.
Thomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 01:22 PM   #5
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by XabbaRus View Post
I'll need to get a wireless router so that I don't have to have my main PC turned on. It then is a case of choosing a decent though not too pricey radio set that can be taken anywhere in teh house. I count apple out as I just don't like apple.
Wireless routers are cheap these days. Two things on them - Can an external antennae be mounted? You probably want a bigger antennae for longer range through walls.

2nd is - secure it so that the neighbors don't have a field day with your inet connection - make sure it has WPA2 capability on both devices. I can crack WEP 128 in about 2 to 8 minutes. WPA is also vulnerable with TKIP protection. AES (WPA2) is the only protection you should ever use.

The point being - you don't want strangers driving by and using your inet connection to download copywrited material and then have the RIAA show up on your doorstep saying you did it. This happens you know.

-S
Old 05-10-09, 02:38 PM   #6
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Nor would you want them to break into the router and through that flimsy MS Windows firewall, giving them acces to whatever data resides on your PC. Security is top concern with wireless networks, personally I avoid them like the plague.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 07:31 PM   #7
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26

Linksys has a Home Audio setup that looks cool.

http://www.shoplinksys.com/Home-Audi...0VVviewcat.htm
longam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 08:32 PM   #8
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Regarding wireless - I have a wireless in my home - but don't use it. Its actually disabled at the router and only is turned on when our oldest visits with her laptop.

Make sure you get one that allows you to specify the host SSID, MAC address of all devices, and password the connections. Between all three, your secure from the vast majority of those who would listen in.

Sure, its definitely not unbreakable, but its highly unlikely you have a mitnik jr. next door. More common are the script kiddies who look for easy targets to feed their ego.

You can find a wireless router like above for under a hundred bucks easy. Netgear makes some good ones, as does Linksys and D-link.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote