SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-10-16, 06:20 PM   #1846
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Hursh View Post
True. I don't think it is so much the speed, well it is a little, but the fact that you can generally guess which ship can take which amount of damage before it sinks i.e. one torpedo for the little ships, three for the big ones. More realistic damage would be better.
A lot of work has been done on this, mostly using my small merchantman.

-New cargoes have been created (iron ore, for example) - sinking rate will depend on what a ship carries. A large merchant carrying ore will sink fast, and a small ship carrying wood may take 2 or more torpedoes. Most ships will sink slowly, so you will have to be patient.

-Sinking ships by deck gun is more difficult. After reviewing historical accounts, I decided that anything over about 1500 tons will take a lot of 88mm or 105mm shells. 50mm and 37mm deck guns will produce very low damage. Machine gun fire will be useless except against aircraft or small boats.

-Fires spread more gradually. And in the final version, there will be no fire unless there is a flammable cargo or flammable ship parts - IMO, ships in the SH series burn way too often.

-Torpedoing the engine room will stop a ship - no more ships limping for hours with engine damage

-You can blow off a ship's bow or stern without destroying it (just like SH5). This was easy to do - and makes for intersting sinkings.

-Ships will generally have a much higher hp value, and will sink by flooding.

-No more sinking destroyers with the deck gun. That's just plain stupid....if a ship has a deck gun (especially a warship) you will NEED to make a submerged attack most of the time.

@Halsey - broken halves floating for longer? Very easy to do - I've done it before for SH3 ships. Plus, I can have the tip of the bow and stern as destructible objects!

-Sorry I have not been in touch but I'm sick! Nothing serious; more news when I'm feeling better this weekend.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-16, 05:26 AM   #1847
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt
中国水兵

Downloads: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
No more sinking destroyers with the deck gun. That's just plain stupid....if a ship has a deck gun (especially a warship) you will NEED to make a submerged attack most of the time.
Are you sure? I know that the big submarines like U-81/U-87/U-93 and the U-Kreuzers could sink the destroyers with their big deck guns.

Rapidi Ed Invisibili-the campaign (an italian mod for SH4)
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-16, 09:39 PM   #1848
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt View Post
Are you sure? I know that the big submarines like U-81/U-87/U-93 and the U-Kreuzers could sink the destroyers with their big deck guns.
Yes but unlike a destroyer a hit or two on a sub equals deader then a lone merchant on a moonlit night.
Old 08-14-16, 03:06 PM   #1849
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
Yes but unlike a destroyer a hit or two on a sub equals deader then a lone merchant on a moonlit night.
Yes; in general a submarine should have no chance in a gun duel against a destroyer while surfaced:

-British destroyers in WWI were usually equipped with 3-5 guns ranging from 3" to 4.7". The British 4" and 4.7" would probably outrange most submarine guns

-Destroyers were steadier gun platforms than subs

-Destroyers usually had larger crews, many of whom would have small arms

-Admiralty studies showed that Destroyer sized ships were very hard to sink with 3" or 4" gunfire (roughly equivalent to German 88mm or 105mm). Note how the Grand Fleet gradually stopped using the 4" as secondary battleship armament, and started using the 6" instead.

If you attack a DD on the surface, you are to score lethal hits on a well-constructed target shooting back with multiple main guns, when you're on a small craft with a fragile pressure hull close to the water, moving around in a seaway, with only one or 2 guns and a crew of less than 40 men.

As far as I know, all U-Boat destroyer sinkings were done by taking the destroyer by surprise, with a torpedo/mine. Only exception I know if is "HMS Fairy", which was a small destroyer that sank itself ramming a U-Boat.

In other news I worked on the "Suffren" and was not impressed with the results...Some ships go smoothly; others break your heart. Over all the French ships have not gone as well as I want; I will take a break from the French Navy and will try other modeling work until I feel satisfied with my skills...
Old 08-17-16, 01:59 PM   #1850
leadtail
Mate

Downloads: 50

Quote:

In other news I worked on the "Suffren" and was not impressed with the results...Some ships go smoothly; others break your heart. Over all the French ships have not gone as well as I want; I will take a break from the French Navy and will try other modeling work until I feel satisfied with my skills...
Got ya covered. Will send you files in a few days for all ships I have in varies states.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0F...ew?usp=sharing link to Suffren .obj file. Let me know if it doesn't work

Last edited by leadtail; 08-17-16 at 08:45 PM.
leadtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-16, 05:18 AM   #1851
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadtail View Post
Got ya covered. Will send you files in a few days for all ships I have in varies states.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0F...ew?usp=sharing link to Suffren .obj file. Let me know if it doesn't work
Thanks so much!

Imported it into Wings3d with no problems; it's much better than my model! I will be working on it this evening after work.
Old 08-18-16, 09:17 AM   #1852
leadtail
Mate

Downloads: 50

Can you check these game files and see if they work for you?

https://drive.google.com/a/robertsha...ew?usp=sharing

If you go back and look at my thread http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=219098 it should be all the things listed as In Game.
leadtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-16, 02:34 PM   #1853
adrianstu98
Swabbie

Downloads: 142

Where i can download the mod?
adrianstu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-16, 08:06 PM   #1854
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
Snip
I don't mean just staying afloat longer but also being able to sink independently like in SH3. For some damn reason in SH4 no matter what if you split a ship in half with a torp the two halves will sink at the same time every single time. Yet in SH3 you could have the bow go under quickly and the stern float for a good 20 minutes more.
Old 08-22-16, 04:40 AM   #1855
中国水兵

Are there any news?

Old 08-22-16, 05:11 PM   #1856
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt View Post
Are there any news?
Well, I've been seriously ill with an infection after my trip. That was quite an experience.

While I was sick in bed I created a list of merchant ship names - I have almost 300 UK names, and they are being separated by company. White Star, Cunard, Clan Line, etc will have proper names based on funnel colors.....there is also a pool of generic British names for small companies or one-ship operators. It will only take a few more days to have all the British names I need; then I'm moving on to other countries.

Now I'm almost totally recovered, so modeling of player and non-playable units is continuing. As mentioned earlier, due to Leadtail's fine modeling I will not be modeling as many of the French ships (I was having trouble anyway). Last week I did modeling of British armored cruisers (yes, I know I modeled them already, but most were destroyed in the malware attack). I will also be testing the "Suffren" Leadtail so kindly donated.

I am working on an updated WOTK summary document for Leadtail, Halsey, Captain Oliver, Jeff G, & a few of the other guys who have contributed either models or advice to WOTK. Excuse the lack of screenshots, but this week I will be doing a lot of "grunt work" that may not be screenshot-worthy...yet.

@Leadtail - Google said I needed permission to download the other files; I have requested it. Thanks

Leadtail's Suffren is below! Show him some love! XD

Last edited by iambecomelife; 08-22-16 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-23-16, 10:24 AM   #1857
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

You know what we're going to need for the merchants? The German Giants of Albert Ballin. Largest liners of their day and the culmination of German Liner design and in a world where either WW1 never happened, was delayed long enough for the alliance system to flip or Germany won fierce rivals of the Cunard and White Star liners. Though ironically Vaterland would be a ship you'd have to sink due to it being commandeered by the US after the declaration of war.
Old 08-23-16, 11:23 AM   #1858
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
You know what we're going to need for the merchants? The German Giants of Albert Ballin. Largest liners of their day and the culmination of German Liner design and in a world where either WW1 never happened, was delayed long enough for the alliance system to flip or Germany won fierce rivals of the Cunard and White Star liners. Though ironically Vaterland would be a ship you'd have to sink due to it being commandeered by the US after the declaration of war.
Yes...I would like to see Vaterland aka Leviathan....she did great work carrying troops. Btw I recently investigated using my Lusitania as parent unit for Britannic and it's actually feasible...though a little tricky. Maybe I can morph Lucy into Leviathan too....I will see how it goes. By the way my replacement for HMS Cressy/ H o g u e and the Aboukir was worked on....happy with the results...hope to import it and Suffren soon.
Old 08-23-16, 11:47 PM   #1859
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
Yes...I would like to see Vaterland aka Leviathan....she did great work carrying troops. Btw I recently investigated using my Lusitania as parent unit for Britannic and it's actually feasible...though a little tricky. Maybe I can morph Lucy into Leviathan too....I will see how it goes. By the way my replacement for HMS Cressy/ H o g u e and the Aboukir was worked on....happy with the results...hope to import it and Suffren soon.
Eh I don't know Lucy and Britannic were close enough in outward appearance that with some modifications I could see that. Vaterland on the other hand doesn't even closely resemble Lucy and is a much bigger ship.
Old 08-29-16, 01:00 PM   #1860
中国水兵

IABL, for the med. theatre I found this italian map (made in 1918) of the mined camps and gun batteries during WW1. the mined camps in Italy were made during 1916/1917.

PS:
orange squares: camps made by german and K.u.K. force.
red squares: camps made by italian forces.
green squares: coast defended by armed trains.
black "points": gun batteries
I hope that it could be helpful and sorry if the image is too big

Last edited by Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt; 08-29-16 at 06:11 PM.