Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Comments to SUBSIM Review
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-22-14, 06:35 AM   #1
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81
Uploads: 0
Default From the front page:

Article on sweden doing a sub hunt. Links to the WSJ, which is a subscription only service.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/swede...ies-1413800440

Could we not link to articles that can't be read? Thanks!

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-14, 07:59 AM   #2
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I can only suggest you forward the link to the post via a PM to Neal.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-14, 08:52 AM   #3
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel View Post
Article on sweden doing a sub hunt. Links to the WSJ, which is a subscription only service.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/swede...ies-1413800440

Could we not link to articles that can't be read? Thanks!

You aren't a WSJ subscriber? I thought everyone was.

Well, ok, then,

jk, there are other links to similar stories on the WNN. But I will keep your suggestion in mind, maybe add (sub needed) or something to them in the future.
Old 10-22-14, 11:48 AM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

"STOCKHOLM—Swedes awoke Monday to headlines that could have been lifted straight out of the 1980s as the Nordic country’s hunt for foreign submarines off its east coast went into a fourth day.
Late Sunday the country’s navy presented a grainy picture of what appeared to be some kind of craft moving among the islands of the Stockholm archipelago, which stretches some 80 kilometers east of the capital.
The picture, taken by a member of the public, wasn’t of good enough quality for the object to be clearly identified but it showed something elongated and white in the water with a smaller black object pointing out of its upper side.
Swedish Navy Rear Admiral Anders Grenstad told a news conference that it is likely that the picture shows what he termed “foreign underwater activity” but declined to say which country might be behind the suspected territorial violation.
Defense Minister Peter Hultqvist said the navy hadn’t yet verified the nature of the activity so couldn’t say who might be responsible.
Nevertheless, suspicions were immediately directed at Russia after a series of recent violations of Swedish airspace by Russian war planes. The accidental grounding of a Soviet military submarine remains a regular topic of conversation here even though it happened as far back as 1981.
A Russian Defense Ministry spokesman put forward an alternative theory on the origin of the possible submarine, telling local news agencies on Monday that it was most likely Dutch.
“In the interests of lowering tensions in the Baltic Sea and saving
the money of Swedish taxpayers, we would recommend they ask the commanders of the Netherlands navy for an explanation,” he said.
The Russian spokesman added that over the past week a Dutch submarine had been conducting tactical maneuvers near Stockholm and those included emergency surfacing, photos of which appeared in the Swedish press.

This amateur photo made available on Sunday by the Swedish Defence Ministry shows an object, top center in the sea near Stockholm. Sweden released the grainy photo of a mysterious vessel in Stockholm's archipelago, as the military hunted for a foreign submarine or divers in the country's biggest such mobilization since the Cold War.
The Dutch defense ministry said there was no Dutch submarine off the Swedish coast over the weekend. However, there was a Dutch submarine in Stockholm last week as part of an annual exercise in Nordic waters, but it left for Tallinn on Thursday".WSJ And so on and so forth! Nuthin' new in the ol' Baltic...Blame it on the Dutch!? EDIT: perhaps a merge with Mapuc's Swedish Archipelago sub thread is in order.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-22-14 at 01:30 PM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-14, 02:09 PM   #5
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

I do have a New England Journal of Medicine app on me phone, which I read semi-regularly, but no WSJ.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote