SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-25-08, 02:39 PM   #106
Wreford-Brown
Sea Lord

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 26

It's already been posted that you can use the , and . keys to move between external views of ships (as long as you have external camera enabled) which allows you to easily ID them without closing to periscope distance.

I found out yesterday that this works regardless of how far away the ships are and what sensor detects them, so if you want to see what kind of ship your radar detector or sonar has picked up hit , or . twice and it will cycle to an external view of the ship or aircraft even if it's 15 or more km away.

All my mods are available at MediaFire:
SH3 Mods
Other modders SH3 mods
SH4 Mods
...you can't please all of the people all of the time...
Wreford-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 03:19 PM   #107
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

You will only see the unit if it is within the rendering range of the game

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 06:59 PM   #108
Wreford-Brown
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna
You're the expert, but I've cycled to a unit 15km away despite being on 8km atmosphere. What exactly is meant by rendering range?

SH3 Mods
Other modders SH3 mods
SH4 Mods
Old 02-26-08, 07:04 AM   #109
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreford-Brown
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna
You're the expert, but I've cycled to a unit 15km away despite being on 8km atmosphere. What exactly is meant by rendering range?
First off....I don't consider myself an 'expert', just an avid supporter of this great sim.
The rendering range is the area in your SH3 world that the computer brings to life as you pass through it
If you were to open up the campaign files in the mission editor you will see literally thousands of ships, planes, subs etc. throughout a great deal of the world map displayed before you.
I doubt there is a computer in any home that could perform all the number crunching tasks simultaneously. So, what the computer does is perform those tasks only in the areas your boat is currently situated ie: rendering range.
If you can see or hear it, that is your rendering range.

Old 02-26-08, 02:29 PM   #110
Wreford-Brown
Sea Lord

Thank you, Jimbuna, for the answer to the rendering question and apologies to AVGWarhawk for slightly hijacking the thread.

SH3 Mods
Other modders SH3 mods
SH4 Mods
Old 02-26-08, 04:37 PM   #111
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreford-Brown
Thank you, Jimbuna, for the answer to the rendering question and apologies to AVGWarhawk for slightly hijacking the thread.
Your welcome

Old 03-03-08, 10:58 AM   #112
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 8

The one thing I really think is missing from the nav station in both games is the ability to have your Nav Officer save a nav route. How many times have I plotted a course and then veered off to blast a merchie and then have to re-plot as opposed to just ordering the Nav Officer to resume our previous course.

...anyhow, my two shortcuts for nav waypoint plotting are:

1) Shift-D with the plot tool selected to delete all waypoints.

2) If I have a set of waypoints plotted, I can select any one of them and start a new plot from that point (it deletes all waypoints that came after). This can be handy if you ever try to use any of those pre-drawn search patterns and decide the AI did a crummy job of plotting it within the grid you wanted.
Old 03-08-08, 08:55 PM   #113
JoeCorrado
Weps

Downloads: 176
Uploads: 5
Default TAB Key - Magnification

I didn't notice this one mentioned:

Using the TAB key when using the attack periscope will toggle between the 6X and 1.5X magnification views.

My Game starts with GFO - Keepin' it real as it needs to be!
JoeCorrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-08, 10:23 PM   #114
Able72
Captain

Downloads: 299
Uploads: 0

Didn't see this one, I just found out tonight. Pressing the Tab key while standing on deck, activates the binoculars.
Old 03-26-08, 04:03 AM   #115
Grayson02sept1980
中国水兵

Downloads: 6

has someone done a complete list already?
I mean some sticky threat is ok... but somewhere you can actually take a look and have all the info condensated together in on file or so?

Grayson02sept1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-08, 06:15 AM   #116
-Dreadnought-
Sailor man

Downloads: 0

I wonder if someone could help me with this. I haven't played SH3 for a while now but decided to get back to the sinking-business again. Couldn't really care less about the new SH4 since the german perspective seems a lot more interesting than the american.
Anyway, I tweaked some notepad file a long time ago, I changed the max time acceleration to 2048 and modified some other time acc. values. Now I found a problem with my careless tweaking. When I accelerate time, the time doesn't slow down when encountering enemy shipping nor do I get the pop-up screen which let's me choose how to proceed with the enemy ship (it has came up once though, out of approx. 20 contacts). So what happens is when I get the time acceleration down to normal from like 512 the spotted ship is already on close range and if hostile, it's already firing or taking evasive action. And this really drives me nuts.
So could someone help me by telling me which notepad file it was that I modified and how to set the values regarding time acceleration in close proximity of hostile ships to normal.
Thanks! Feel free to ask for more specific details since my writing might have been confusing...
If this is the day we shall fall, then let us go down with honour, and be remembered as the lonely knights of the sea, the men who felt mercy but were unable to give it... Because that is what we are.
-Dreadnought- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-08, 08:51 AM   #117
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Dreadnought-
I wonder if someone could help me with this. I haven't played SH3 for a while now but decided to get back to the sinking-business again. Couldn't really care less about the new SH4 since the german perspective seems a lot more interesting than the american.
Anyway, I tweaked some notepad file a long time ago, I changed the max time acceleration to 2048 and modified some other time acc. values. Now I found a problem with my careless tweaking. When I accelerate time, the time doesn't slow down when encountering enemy shipping nor do I get the pop-up screen which let's me choose how to proceed with the enemy ship (it has came up once though, out of approx. 20 contacts). So what happens is when I get the time acceleration down to normal from like 512 the spotted ship is already on close range and if hostile, it's already firing or taking evasive action. And this really drives me nuts.
So could someone help me by telling me which notepad file it was that I modified and how to set the values regarding time acceleration in close proximity of hostile ships to normal.
Thanks! Feel free to ask for more specific details since my writing might have been confusing...
The quickest and easiest way is to d/l SH3 Commander and change the time compression options from there.

Your other alternative is to go into the games Basic CFG file

Old 03-26-08, 09:30 AM   #118
-Dreadnought-
Sailor man

I don't use the Commander mod so I guess it's the CFG file for me... Thanks for the reply!
If this is the day we shall fall, then let us go down with honour, and be remembered as the lonely knights of the sea, the men who felt mercy but were unable to give it... Because that is what we are.
Old 03-26-08, 10:43 AM   #119
-Dreadnought-
Sailor man

Ok, I got it fixed, thanks alot!

No to another thing I noticed...
Since I've been away from the whole submarine business for a while I noticed that a large amount of new mods has been introduced. I'm running the "old" Real Uboat 1.45 and was wondering if some of these new mods are better or otherwise worth checking out? For example GWX and NYGM seemed rather interesting. So I would appreciate if someone could briefly explain what these mods (or others) are all about and which ones you recommend. I checked the descriptions in the downloads section but didn' really find them very informative...
Old 03-26-08, 11:22 AM   #120
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Dreadnought-
Ok, I got it fixed, thanks alot!

No to another thing I noticed...
Since I've been away from the whole submarine business for a while I noticed that a large amount of new mods has been introduced. I'm running the "old" Real Uboat 1.45 and was wondering if some of these new mods are better or otherwise worth checking out? For example GWX and NYGM seemed rather interesting. So I would appreciate if someone could briefly explain what these mods (or others) are all about and which ones you recommend. I checked the descriptions in the downloads section but didn' really find them very informative...
Pleased to hear your sorted....as for mods, my obvious preference is GWX.

A quick search around these boards will probably be sufficient testimony to it's popularity.

You can alsp click on my sig and that will take you to the GWX website