SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-07-11, 05:02 PM   #2011
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Just remember to swizzle the Bump map.

I do have an application I wrote that will do the Bump maps for SH4 by the way.

I never finished adjusting it but I still have all the code and it would only take a few adjustments to the code to have it done.
Old 09-07-11, 06:00 PM   #2012
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Downloads: 123
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post
Just remember to swizzle the Bump map.

I do have an application I wrote that will do the Bump maps for SH4 by the way.

I never finished adjusting it but I still have all the code and it would only take a few adjustments to the code to have it done.
Hi mate,

What do you mean by swizzle do you mean inverting the x and y axis to get the greenish normal bump type?

Also the good thing is i have develop a very nice way to do my normal bump so they look 50 time better you can see it on the crew in video 3.

Best regards Hans

Hans Witteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-11, 06:11 PM   #2013
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Swizzle is the common term for swapping the Blue and Green channels.
Old 09-07-11, 06:27 PM   #2014
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post
Swizzle is the common term for swapping the Blue and Green channels.
Thank mate exactly what i though !

Best regards Hans

Old 09-07-11, 06:45 PM   #2015
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Hi team mates,

Where are you guy's i am waiting for your approval on recent posts?

Mak and Reaper time to phone home!

Best regards Hans

Old 09-07-11, 07:50 PM   #2016
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea

SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 2

Just a random opinion...

Obviously you guys are free to do whatever you want...

I'm not against a SH4 project per say, but after months of following this thread I think a lot of people would have liked to have seen it through to conclusion. Seems a shame to change course halfway through, particularly when so many had their hopes set on it.

Is finishing this one and then starting the SH4 mod a possibility? Or does the baby have to be tossed with the bathwater?

Fish In The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-11, 07:56 PM   #2017
reaper7
sim2reality

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 30

Hmmmm, this is a tough decision. In part because I feel that Sh3 has a more rewarding simulator type structure, I haven't played Sh4 for long so can't say how well this compares to the Hardcore simulation beneath the surface.
This is priority for me in a game - not the graphics, being an old time simmer eye candy were filled in vectors graphics (Gameplay sold a game).
Back in the days of the Commodore Vic20

If it's a case that SH4 can offer the Full Manual Targeting and AI Intelligence that I love in SH3 than coupled with the extra benefits that SH4 brings to the table - well then I'm all in.
But unless it can provide this, all the best graphics won't save it, look at sh5 .

Will be away for the next few days, so will be out of touch. Just make sure before committing to Sh4 that the spirit of Sh3 is not lost .
reaper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-11, 08:18 PM   #2018
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish In The Water View Post
Just a random opinion...

Obviously you guys are free to do whatever you want...

I'm not against a SH4 project per say, but after months of following this thread I think a lot of people would have liked to have seen it through to conclusion. Seems a shame to change course halfway through, particularly when so many had their hopes set on it.

Is finishing this one and then starting the SH4 mod a possibility? Or does the baby have to be tossed with the bathwater?
Hi mate,

No worry the baby will not be toss away i already mention that all the work done so far would be release as individual mods instead of a full package with installer.

The reason why i won't continue on both platform simultaneously is that it is a lot of work and my poor shoulder have already all the burden on them.

We won't let down folks in the contrary we will give them the best of both world .

Some points need to be clarify before starting up and Mak didn't show up and he is a SH3 lover so if he don't approve then we will stick with what we have.

But after analyzing the pros and cons i came to the conclusion that Sh4 was better suit for the quality i have in mind.

Best regards Hans

Old 09-07-11, 08:21 PM   #2019
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper7 View Post
Hmmmm, this is a tough decision. In part because I feel that Sh3 has a more rewarding simulator type structure, I haven't played Sh4 for long so can't say how well this compares to the Hardcore simulation beneath the surface.
This is priority for me in a game - not the graphics, being an old time simmer eye candy were filled in vectors graphics (Gameplay sold a game).
Back in the days of the Commodore Vic20

If it's a case that SH4 can offer the Full Manual Targeting and AI Intelligence that I love in SH3 than coupled with the extra benefits that SH4 brings to the table - well then I'm all in.
But unless it can provide this, all the best graphics won't save it, look at sh5 .

Will be away for the next few days, so will be out of touch. Just make sure before committing to Sh4 that the spirit of Sh3 is not lost .
Hi mate,

Thank for your support on this new venture and you brought up a good point there let's wait for answer to see if all that is feasible in SH4 i myself want to stay loyal to the SH3 feeling and handling.

Best regards Hans

Old 09-07-11, 09:49 PM   #2020
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea

SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Witteman View Post
But after analyzing the pros and cons i came to the conclusion that Sh4 was better suit for the quality i have in mind.
One last thing and then I'll shut my big mouth...

First off, thanks for the well reasoned response.

Second, I've always had a ton of respect for you, (and several of the teammates), so if you guys do go, I wish you all the best.

Third, (and here comes the kicker), if you do go I suspect many of us will probably not follow as we would have little reason to get emotionally invested in a future release based on this sort of track record.

In other words, why get excited about something if you're always wondering in the back of your mind if they might get half way through a SH4 project and then decide SH5 has better controllers so we're going there instead?

Credibility tends to suffer...

Please do not misunderstand. I'm just being honest. There are no sour grapes and no hurt feelings. Personally, I think you should do whatever makes you happy. But also please don't forget the community that has followed your work (and looked forward to a release) for so long.

All I ask is that you keep this in mind and weigh it out as part of the final decision.

You seem like a great guy Hans and I salute you for all you've contributed to this forum. Decisions like this are never easy, (as you can never please all of the people all of the time), but there is something to be said for the value of finishing that which you start.

Once again, I wish you all the best and I hope I can always consider you a friend!

Old 09-07-11, 10:25 PM   #2021
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Quote:
One last thing and then I'll shut my big mouth...

First off, thanks for the well reasoned response.

Second, I've always had a ton of respect for you, (and several of the teammates), so if you guys do go, I wish you all the best.

Third, (and here comes the kicker), if you do go I suspect many of us will probably not follow as we would have little reason to get emotionally invested in a future release based on this sort of track record.

In other words, why get excited about something if you're always wondering in the back of your mind if they might get half way through a SH4 project and then decide SH5 has better controllers so we're going there instead?

Credibility tends to suffer...

Please do not misunderstand. I'm just being honest. There are no sour grapes and no hurt feelings. Personally, I think you should do whatever makes you happy. But also please don't forget the community that has followed your work (and looked forward to a release) for so long.

All I ask is that you keep this in mind and weigh it out as part of the final decision.

You seem like a great guy Hans and I salute you for all you've contributed to this forum. Decisions like this are never easy, (as you can never please all of the people all of the time), but there is something to be said for the value of finishing that which you start.

Once again, I wish you all the best and I hope I can always consider you a friend!
Hi mate,

I understand your point and it is a valid one but since i begun modding Sh3 i never quit even for a long time i was all alone with nobody help.

So there is no reason i won't continue except if i get sick or die in the process.

Since the beginning i was lurking at some features included in SH4 but i was afraid to loose the SH3 magic by going to SH4 and now all the answer i received so far, say that my vision of SH3 on SH4 is now very feasible.

A good point to with SH4 is that it doesn't load the whole war on start up.

If i was to release U-BOAT_HAHD in the state it is now for SH3 it would still be a supermod but would be missing only the rest of the HAHD surfaces ships and the extra HAHD sub and this we could easily port to sh3 to satisfy both crowd but if we can emulate SH3 on SH4 engine then there is no point staying on SH3 since All the other supermods are already release and working.

SH4 was never look at enough as a serious contender but with my experience so far i can say that it was under estimated .

Let's see how much attention we get with that new venture and then we will commit ourselves a 100%.

It's not like throwing the towel and saying goodby it is more like pushing the quality standard forward.

We will just be doing what the GWX team had start prior to SH5 release and i think it is the logical next step.

I was also very reluctant at looking to other engine at the beginning but now i see my vision via SH4 rendering capability and since i am an artist at the very core, the call is like the sirens calling Ulysses!

Best regards Hans

Old 09-07-11, 11:38 PM   #2022
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

@ Fish In The Water: I have a lot of respect for you. Your posts are always honest and well thought out. The reasons you put up for considerations are good ones and important ones, and I don't fault your argument one bit. In fact I've wondered if I didn't overstate the case for SH4 in my enthusiasm.

I'm actually writing this with one purpose, and I would have thought you'd already know.

Quote:
per say
It's "per se". It's Latin, and it means "by itself".
Old 09-08-11, 12:54 AM   #2023
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea

SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
It's "per se". It's Latin, and it means "by itself".
Touche...

A momentary lapse of my grammatical function, and thanks for the kind words!

Old 09-08-11, 03:29 AM   #2024
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Witteman View Post
Hi team mates,

Where are you guy's i am waiting for your approval on recent posts?

Mak and Reaper time to phone home!

Best regards Hans
ahoy 'teacher' ,

no need to ask for ''approves'' Hans . you are always the leader of this project (my only Objection is that you didn't discuss it with the team first and 'target' changed so easily) and you can 'drive' it to wherever you may believe is better.i just offered to help you on this project for sh3 as much i could and i kept my word but i can't 'follow' you at this new 'target'.sh4 is not even an 'option' for me but my opinion doesn't really matters becuase i have almost finished my part (the gui) so one way or the other i am useless anymore for the project.

sincerely i wish all the best to your new 'course' to sh4 ,

Manos

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-11, 06:10 AM   #2025
NGT
Lieutenant

Downloads: 289
Uploads: 3
Confirmation ?

Dear Mr Witteman

I would like to be sure that I understood well, because my English is not good enough:

1. You are member in Subsim from September 2008, 3 years now.
2. You started a megamod for SH3, with a sticky thread.
3. You created a special web site for this megamod.
4. Other members joined to you in this way, for a megamod for SH3.

and

after 3 years here, and more than 2000 posts in this sticky thread, with 96.451 views, you released one torpedo (!) and you decided to change for SH4 without asking any opinion / advice, even not from your team members (Makman says).

That's it?

@Makman: Please release the GUI for the last SH3 lovers. If someone needs this GUI, for his (virtual) supermod, can always ask you for permission. Thanks.

Question for moderators: They are reasons for sticky thread here?
NGT is offline   Reply With Quote