SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-12-12, 08:09 PM   #3826
Wetton
Bosun

Downloads: 475
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by darqen27 View Post
Can we please keep this forum in english... I wouldnt speak dutch in front of you to someone else while you were standing there... thats just rude
Darqen27,please excuse me!It's not very common to find a compatriot here!And i wouldn't have any problem with you speaking Dutch in front of me,I recently visited your beautiful country.
Wetton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-12, 08:59 PM   #3827
DrBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetton View Post
I am using Optical Targeting Correction!That's why this problem was so...curious.I knew i was taking correct measurements!
Are you playing with Map Contacts on? If yes, check your PK's estimated course vs the ship's actual course in the Attack Map. It's true that enemy ships have an uncanny ability to accelerate/decelerate, but at this close range you should be hitting them, nevertheless. Also make sure you point your Stadimeter to wherever your Recognition Manual defines as the particular ship's reference point - it's not always the top of the mast, sometimes it's the top of the funnel.

Let the Beast inside you free!
DrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-12, 01:54 AM   #3828
darqen27
Seaman

Downloads: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBeast View Post
Using the stadimeter to estimate speed is really hit or miss, for a variety of reasons. The easiest way to get your target's speed is to measure the distance it travels in 3 minutes (or 3 minutes 15 seconds if you're using metric): the distance traveled in yards (or meters) divided by 100 is its speed in knots.

If you want to use a properly working stadimeter, I highly recommend using the Optical Targeting Correction (or OTC) mod. There's a TMO-compatible version for it available here.

darqen27, you'll have to excuse my fellow Greeks. It's not every day we stumble upon each other in an SH4-related forum
darqen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-12, 02:45 AM   #3829
Wetton
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBeast View Post
Are you playing with Map Contacts on? If yes, check your PK's estimated course vs the ship's actual course in the Attack Map. It's true that enemy ships have an uncanny ability to accelerate/decelerate, but at this close range you should be hitting them, nevertheless. Also make sure you point your Stadimeter to wherever your Recognition Manual defines as the particular ship's reference point - it's not always the top of the mast, sometimes it's the top of the funnel.
I play with map contacts off but i've tried this exact thing in the training missions.My range measurements are about 95% correct there.
Could what Diopos says about turning the PK on before inputing the data,make such a difference?
Old 04-13-12, 06:28 AM   #3830
DrBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 36

Quote:
I play with map contacts off but i've tried this exact thing in the training missions.My range measurements are about 95% correct there.
Could what Diopos says about turning the PK on before inputing the data,make such a difference?
Worth a try

Kalo Pasxa (Happy Easter, if it's all Greek to you)!

Let the Beast inside you free!
DrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-12, 10:47 AM   #3831
Wetton
Bosun

Well i just tried once more....same result!
Torpedo misses the ship by a fraction.Do the ships in TMO accelerate big time?
Old 04-13-12, 03:56 PM   #3832
darqen27
Seaman

Downloads: 101

Quote:
Well i just tried once more....same result!
Torpedo misses the ship by a fraction.Do the ships in TMO accelerate big time?
I've gotten in the habit of saving my games before I shoot a torp, its kinda like cheating but the game itself is a cheat sometimes
darqen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-12, 06:04 PM   #3833
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 74

Quote:
If your range measurements (or any other inputs) are only 95% correct, I can almost guarantee a miss (unless you are shooting at something really big). Accuracy is paramount.

I've been using 'Nisgeis' 3D TDC and Radar Range Unit'. Its pretty complex, and there are alot of movements between screens to enter your figures, but very useful nonetheless. I made for myself a step-by-step instruction sheet (3 pages) to keep track of everything. My instruction sheet (last page) specifically says, after entering speed, course, range and AOB, "Turn Position Keeper (KP) ON. The PK will continuously update the TDC. If target changes course or speed, data must be re-entered. Firing Solution is now running." I can't see where the PK would be useful UNTIL all the figures have been input to the TDC.

You didn't mention if you are using the TDC and RADAR, but the MOD (3D TDC) comes with TMO 2.0+. If you would like a copy of my 'instruction sheet' (WORD format), leave me a 'private' message with your email address, and I'll be happy to send you a copy.
Old 04-13-12, 07:12 PM   #3834
Wetton
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dodger View Post
If your range measurements (or any other inputs) are only 95% correct, I can almost guarantee a miss (unless you are shooting at something really big). Accuracy is paramount.

I've been using 'Nisgeis' 3D TDC and Radar Range Unit'. Its pretty complex, and there are alot of movements between screens to enter your figures, but very useful nonetheless. I made for myself a step-by-step instruction sheet (3 pages) to keep track of everything. My instruction sheet (last page) specifically says, after entering speed, course, range and AOB, "Turn Position Keeper (KP) ON. The PK will continuously update the TDC. If target changes course or speed, data must be re-entered. Firing Solution is now running." I can't see where the PK would be useful UNTIL all the figures have been input to the TDC.

You didn't mention if you are using the TDC and RADAR, but the MOD (3D TDC) comes with TMO 2.0+. If you would like a copy of my 'instruction sheet' (WORD format), leave me a 'private' message with your email address, and I'll be happy to send you a copy.
Roger Dodger i try to send you a message but something's going wrong.Have you received it?
Old 04-13-12, 08:56 PM   #3835
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Roger Dodger i try to send you a message but something's going wrong.Have you received it?
Yes, Thrice (that's one more than twice)

Did you get the file through the email I sent to you?

I've been reading Nisgeis thread (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...isgeis&page=19) and haven't found any mention of CptScurvey's MOD causing any problems with 3D TDC. Has anyone else had conflicts between these two?

Last edited by Roger Dodger; 04-13-12 at 09:00 PM. Reason: additional info
Roger Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-12, 05:19 AM   #3836
bybyx
Ensign

Downloads: 942

A quick question:
Will it be better to play TMO2.5 with or without RSRD. What are the differences?
bybyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-12, 09:14 AM   #3837
Dignan
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by bybyx View Post
A quick question:
Will it be better to play TMO2.5 with or without RSRD. What are the differences?
TMO has its own customized campaign layer which is better than stock. Most people will still say that TMO's campaign has too frequent ship traffic. RSRDC is the most realistic and has even modeled many historical naval engagements accurately. HHowever, you may find yourself sailing around for days or even weeks looking for ships in RSRDC if you don't know where the traffic historically was.
Old 04-14-12, 09:21 AM   #3838
bybyx
Ensign

Downloads: 942

I see......
Well
bybyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-12, 02:41 PM   #3839
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bybyx View Post
A quick question:
TMO is mostly environmental in nature and adds LOTS of realism to SH4 - some call it eye candy, others call it immersion. Either way, its what SH4 SHOULD HAVE looked like. As noted above, it also includes its own custom campaign layer. There are also 'certain' changes to the AI Japanese units, and some say the Destroyers are ALL Bungo Petes.

RSRDC overwrites TMO's campaign and adds HISTORICAL ship movements, making SH4 even more realistic. You'll soon find out why so many sub skippers came back from a 60 day patrol without sighting a single target (Just finished one in S-27). TMO adds in a very 'general' sea lanes map with the Radio, so you can plan your patrol to get into a viable position. Later in your campaign you get RADAR, and that is a BIG help in finding targets. RSRDC also has a data/sea folder and seems to adjust the IJN DDs to more reasonable capabilities - still tough, but not impossible. Be sure to install the RSRDC + TMO edition of this mod.

TMO also adds in Nisgeis' 3D TDC and Radar Range Unit. You must have RADAR capability and it only fully works with the Gato/Balao class subs due to matching up the interiors. I don't think you can adjust the GamePlay Options to take off the Map Contacts and switch from Auto to Manual Targeting while in a campaign. Sure adds realism to SH4.

TMO + RSRDC - Don't leave home without them!

Good Hunting

Last edited by Roger Dodger; 04-14-12 at 02:43 PM. Reason: additional info
Roger Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-12, 06:17 PM   #3840
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dodger View Post
TMO is mostly environmental in nature and adds LOTS of realism to SH4 - some call it eye candy, others call it immersion. Either way, its what SH4 SHOULD HAVE looked like. As noted above, it also includes its own custom campaign layer. There are also 'certain' changes to the AI Japanese units, and some say the Destroyers are ALL Bungo Petes.

RSRDC overwrites TMO's campaign and adds HISTORICAL ship movements, making SH4 even more realistic. You'll soon find out why so many sub skippers came back from a 60 day patrol without sighting a single target (Just finished one in S-27). TMO adds in a very 'general' sea lanes map with the Radio, so you can plan your patrol to get into a viable position. Later in your campaign you get RADAR, and that is a BIG help in finding targets. RSRDC also has a data/sea folder and seems to adjust the IJN DDs to more reasonable capabilities - still tough, but not impossible. Be sure to install the RSRDC + TMO edition of this mod.

TMO also adds in Nisgeis' 3D TDC and Radar Range Unit. You must have RADAR capability and it only fully works with the Gato/Balao class subs due to matching up the interiors. I don't think you can adjust the GamePlay Options to take off the Map Contacts and switch from Auto to Manual Targeting while in a campaign. Sure adds realism to SH4.

TMO + RSRDC - Don't leave home without them!

Good Hunting
RSRDC also adds to TMO 25 new ships, the real thing in battles of the Pacific War (within the limitations of SH4, of course), and a realistic campaign (with very difficult localization of enemy ships). If you use the OTC mod of C. Scurvy, you lose the Nisgeis 3D unit, but the additions of OTC - for me - are a must have!

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote