SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-07-12, 10:51 AM   #3016
Sag75
XO

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 0

My best compliments for your amazing job! wolfpacks (and other fixes) add a lot of realism to SH3 that is still alive!!

Anyway is it possible make an "viceversa" wolfpack? I mean, when I receive a convoy position on the map, may I be instructed by BdU to reach it within an assembled wolfpack? But maybe it depends by BdU AI that is not so modelled..

Betasom - XI Gruppo Sommergibili Atlantici
http://www.betasom.it/forum/index.php
Sag75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-12, 01:23 PM   #3017
Victor Schutze
Chief

Downloads: 466
In the same vein as the preceding post, would it be possible to include Luftwaffe raids on convoys or ships?

I vaguely recall when I used to play vanilla SH3 way back then, I could call an air strike if I was short on ammo or just for the fun of it.

I remember one major shortcoming was that the plane(s) would appear above the target as I pushed the "Los" button.

I am dreaming of a possibility to have Luftwaffe raids and even surface ships raids implemented into SH3 as long as some measure of realism is introduced.

h.sie?
Victor Schutze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-12, 02:00 PM   #3018
Olamagato
Torpedoman

Downloads: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie View Post
@Olamagato: It would be a fatal beginners error to seed the pseudo-random generator with the same value every time a random number is generated, since this leads to identical series of numbers.
That's right. However, if we exclude everything impossible, all that remains is what is possible. That is why I asked about the possibility of the existence of such an error.

Quote:
Conclusio: The random number generator isn't the problem.
If you are sure that sh3.exe "API" is always used correctly, there is no problem here.

Quote:
2) Error of some users (wrong depth setting in high windspeeds)
Before I use any fashion/game/device I try to read everything that the creator wanted to give me to read.
These strange defective shots appeared to me when trying to shoot in the keel using a magnetic pistol (torpedoes depth >10m) after 1943 with calm weather.

Thanks for debug version this fix. I will try to reproduce this issue.
Olamagato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-12, 03:56 PM   #3019
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131

@Leitender: Regarding Battery Discharge Fix: If one starts with 4kn speed instead of max. speed, the Uboats submerged range fits very well the range value in the .sim file. (According to the .sim file, the submerged range is defined at a speed of 4kn).
Old 01-07-12, 07:30 PM   #3020
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olamagato View Post
Hi. 400 feet but during... "extremely violent storms like hurricanes and cyclones". Wind speed of hurricanes and cyclones are more than 200 km/h, or 55 m/s. SH3 does not simulate these storms. The biggest storms in the game, reflect only ~16 m/s. In addition, the text is based on the experience of a nuclear-powered ships, which have a much better sensor than the U-boats of World War II. In the latter case, the best sensors were their own feet. It should also be noted that the quote you provided is more focused on maintaining the perfect depth, and not feel the rocking ship. About this at all because there is no question: "during even moderate storms the submarine stays perfectly level at its submerged depth while the waves crash above".
A simple calculation of the depth of the impact of waves in the wind of 15 m/s for water movement under the water gives only 8.1 m instead of 30 m. Therefore, I think that 30 m is much too large minimum depth for reloading torpedoes. Therefore, I believe that given by you quote perfectly agrees to comments by Erich Topp. The result is 8.1 m + ~10 m (from keel to hidden periscope of U-boot) = 18.1 m = ~20 m.
Hi Olamagato,

I posted the link to point out that Topp's statement (if he really said that) is not true: Waves are sometimes felt at more than 1-2m below the water surface.

Concerning the rest of the text, it's obviously not very detailed. It does not mention the size of the submarine, it does not mention the depth at which the depth is kept constant,... so all you can conclude that there are storms in which you feel a roll of 5 to 10 degrees at 400 feet with modern subs (I guess it would be more with WW2 subs. And for less strong winds it is less than 400 feet which is still more than 1-2m ).

In 'Das Boot' a depth of 60m is mentioned for heavy storms. I agree that such storms are not modeled in SH3 and for 'SH3 storms' 20m probably is fine enough.

Cheers, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-12, 08:18 AM   #3021
Olamagato
Torpedoman

Downloads: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN1 View Post
I posted the link to point out that Topp's statement (if he really said that) is not true: Waves are sometimes felt at more than 1-2m below the water surface.
Unfortunately not quite understand my post quoting Topp. He said (If I remember correctly, this interview was available in SH2 video resources) that it is enough to go down 1-2 m below the wave base, not below the mean sea level. If the wave has a height of 10 m, the wave peak is about 5 m above this level, and the base about 5 m below this level. In this case, the expression Topp that would go down so deep to the top of the U-boat found at a depth of 7m, which would give the depth of the type VII keel at a level about 15-16m. Then the rocking ship should not be felt, which suffice to safely reload torpedoes. This does not mean that there would be no problem with maintaining a constant depth, or that water movement would not affect the ship.

ps. SH3 full HD resolution (and even HD4K) is possible...

Have a nice day.

Last edited by Olamagato; 01-08-12 at 08:38 AM.
Olamagato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-12, 09:47 AM   #3022
h.sie
Admiral

@Sag75, Victor_S:

The wolfpack viceversa is already modelled in parts (some fantasy required) in sh3: If there is a convoy, you sometimes get a contact report on your map. This can be interpreted as a BDU order to attack if possible. Additionally, one can script Sergbutos AI-Subs into some convoys of the RND campaign files, so that they attack the convoy as soon as the convoy comes in your visible range. I did so in my private NYWX hybrid supermod. Not perfect but sufficient for me. Thus, ATM no development planned.

I did not replace the original sh3 code that sometimes causes an aircraft attack if you send a contact report. Thus, both is possible: wolfpack and aircraft attack.
Old 01-08-12, 11:38 AM   #3023
Obltn Strand
Commodore

Downloads: 135

Quote:
For those who have problems with the Torpedo Failures Fix V1.1:
If statistics intrests.

I have fired 15 torps with Torpedo Failures Fix V1.1 under good conditions meaning windspeeds between 0 to 9 m/s, between oct and dec -40 and used impact detonator. 10 hits, 4 duds and 1 dud or miss.
Old 01-08-12, 01:13 PM   #3024
Sag75
XO

Thanks H.Sie! I've just an extra thought. I installed your mod about zero batteries is zero charge. it works fine. Is the main pump also disabled when batteries are at zero level? Is it possible in your opinion link pump performance to battery level? it could have an impact on flooding recover for instance..

Old 01-09-12, 02:30 AM   #3025
Leitender
Planesman

Downloads: 50

Quote:
@Leitender: Regarding Battery Discharge Fix:
Hi h.sie
thanks a lot for effort & reply. Will also do some tests regarding range and nasa battery fix and report asap. Less time atm.
greetings.
Leitender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-12, 09:27 AM   #3026
Victor Schutze
Chief

Downloads: 466
Quote:
@Victor_S:
I did not replace the original sh3 code that sometimes causes an aircraft attack if you send a contact report. Thus, both is possible: wolfpack and aircraft attack.
I did not see any aircraft attack since moving from vanilla SH3 to GWX3 years ago.
I'll make extensive tests on this.

Thanks, hsie.
Victor Schutze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-12, 11:02 AM   #3027
h.sie
Admiral

@Obltn. Strand: Thanks. Good result that fits the programmed failure rates. As expected. My own test results are similar.

@Sag75: Put on the todo-list. But I fear this won't be easy to fix.

@Victor_S: I've also never seen aircraft, but this could be caused by the fact that I never played seriously. I wanted to express that I only added code but did not replace code. That means: If aircraft attacks are possible without V16A3, they will also be possible with V16A3.

@ALL: Some people complained about (alleged) flawed behaviour of the Torpedo Failures Mod. In order to locate the failure, I programmed a special DEBUG version. 12 downloads. Any new findings with that version?

Last edited by h.sie; 01-10-12 at 06:26 PM.
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-12, 12:48 PM   #3028
jaxa
The Old Man

Downloads: 413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Schutze View Post
I did not see any aircraft attack since moving from vanilla SH3 to GWX3 years ago.

Thanks, hsie.
Did you try to lower time scale max to 256x, especially near coast?
jaxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-12, 01:46 PM   #3029
Sag75
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Schutze View Post

Thanks, hsie.

I was able to have some aircraft attack in GWX3. They are pretty rare when you send the contact report. Normally to be within 700-800km radius from Brest is a good range to probably have some help. But there are so many factors affecting this as visibilty, year, aircraft availability, minimum of three ships spotted, distance from the closer base.

Old 01-09-12, 05:23 PM   #3030
h.sie
Admiral

In some tests, I saw the following behaviour: Situation:

- submerged
- battery = empty
- compressed air = empty

If you now order to surface the quick-diving tank is emptied and the Uboat surfaces. Is this correct behaviour??

Question: How were the diving-tanks emptied?
- By pump (->battery supply) or
- by pressure air (->compressed air supply)
- or both of them