SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-29-08, 04:58 PM   #106
icecold
Gunner

Downloads: 84
Uploads: 0

After replying back to them stating that there reply basicaly said 8800GTX is not compatable and that im going to quote them on that everywhere...

I got a more productive reply... and they want to once again check this thread to do some troubleshooting. I also got a "you miss understand" in so many words and they said how they said that due to "other copys of different games" in the past being different and being incompatable with vista. . . frankly sounds like a poor excuse to me.

However lets see what they do now, i will keep you informed of any (if any) progresss.

But i wont lie, im almost at the stage where i dont care anymore as im considering getting a refund on the universal 12 month innificiant product policy under the sales act (Pretty much the same europe wide and in the USA). In other words i send the game to UBI stating it dos not work and they have to give a complete refund within 12 months of purchase (after that i can use another policy under the sales act but the game is not that old yet).

But like i said... lets see what happens.
icecold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 08:16 PM   #107
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

It's disappointing to see Ubi people all worried about fixing blame when they should be thanking you for finding a problem, then getting their code wizards together to straighten out their problems with Vista and the 8800GT graphics card. For better or worse, just about everybody buying a new computer ends up with Vista and the 8800GT is the sweet spot in price/performance.

The name of the game is make the most sales and that is done by fixing the incompatibility no matter if it IS 100% the players' fault and if it is crystal clearly NOT on the compatible list. By making the game play well with the only current operating system and the most popular gaming graphics card they could accomplish that. Let's see if they are smart enough to operate in their own best interest.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-08, 02:57 AM   #108
Ronin1975
Sailor man

Downloads: 0

I never thought a graphics carsd could be too powerfull for a game....That should be to hard to correct?

Man, when I bought my PC last year I was thinking about the 8800GTX and Vista, but ended up with 7900GTX and XP (That advice was given by the Salesman)

I'm just happy I followed his advice

I hope this problem is getting sorted out you all of you.

Ronin1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-08, 06:51 AM   #109
Kapitan_Phillips
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 202

Man, they really said that? Jesus. A simple "We dont know yet" would've been less offensive.

By the way, I love your stick figure signature, Ronin
Old 06-11-08, 04:35 PM   #110
seawolf34
Seaman

Downloads: 5

Just to let people know, using the very latest beta driver which you can read about at http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=264100 enables me to use POE3.3 with the 1.5 Uboat addon with no crashes on torpedo hits etc on my 8800GTX

It's not quite all good news, I'm getting a few graphic glitches, the fire & oil effects are all blocky looking, now that could be down to some settings on my video card driver, I've yet to try with different options enabled or disabled etc etc.

Still I'm just happy the game isn't crashing anymore.
Gainward GTX 470
X-FI Fatality Titanium
seawolf34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-08, 01:15 AM   #111
zenki
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
Obviously their customer disservice department is looking for bonuses. Wonder if the "person" you talked to was from the Phillipines, India or Bali Bali.
I've been a long-time lurker in subsim and also looking for a fix for the 8800 problem when running u-boat missions as it's always doing CTD's. I'm just curious RR why you're wondering if the "person" was from the Philippines, India or Bali Bali? I am from the Philippines and I'm a bit upset by that remark of yours.
zenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-08, 12:41 PM   #112
Petur
Mate

Downloads: 0

I don't know what happend but, when i had been playing for some time...I was going to load but could not. I tried to start a new game and when the loading was done i got this "please wait" and it was there for ever! I looked on Windows Task Manager in Applications if it was running and it was not. I exited the game and tried again several times but nothing worked. I could fix this by re-installing the game, But has this happend to someone else?

Petur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-08, 04:33 PM   #113
icecold
Gunner

Petur i had a similar problem. Try uninstalling the graphics card driver and reinstalling making sure you got the latest official driver.

Meanwhile back to topic... the ticket is still open they state "they are looking into it". Il keep you updated, however if anyone comes up with any ideas please let me know.
Old 06-24-08, 07:33 PM   #114
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenki
Quote:
Obviously their customer disservice department is looking for bonuses. Wonder if the "person" you talked to was from the Phillipines, India or Bali Bali.
I've been a long-time lurker in subsim and also looking for a fix for the 8800 problem when running u-boat missions as it's always doing CTD's. I'm just curious RR why you're wondering if the "person" was from the Philippines, India or Bali Bali? I am from the Philippines and I'm a bit upset by that remark of yours.
Simple! Because weasely companies outsource their help and customer disservice lines, (it doesn't matter where, American phone boiler rooms do the same thing), they don't give their "representatives" enough information to help anyone, they don't give them the front-line decision making power to fix anything, and instruct them to say "no" to everything. Often they are paid bonuses based on the number of claims denied and cost of remedies not incurred.

Then people get mad at the people they are talking to: the person working for the customer service company, when the real fault is with the cynical company who purposely built a system to bilk their customers and treat them like dirt.

In their quest to screw their customers they hire the cheapest help they can find, thus the reference to India, the Philippines, or Bali Bali. This is a conscious ploy by companies with contempt for their customers, not ineptitude on the part of the customer service rep, who is only doing what they are told.

Darn right it's important where the customer disservice is coming from. It's evidence of contempt for the customers that pay their wages. These same reps would do a great job if they were permitted to. They are not, because the companies that contract with them have contempt for them too. Any questions? Was I unclear?
Old 06-24-08, 09:26 PM   #115
Monica Lewinsky
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Darn right it's important where the customer disservice is coming from. It's evidence of contempt for the customers that pay their wages. These same reps would do a great job if they were permitted to. They are not, because the companies that contract with them have contempt for them too. Any questions? Was I unclear?
Crystal clear, give them hell!

Looking forward to your next training mission video!

Sink them all!
Monica Lewinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-08, 06:24 PM   #116
icecold
Gunner

SOLUTION FOUND!!!

It appears that the later nvidia drivers have bumped up rendering... which over performs the graphics card driver NVLDDMKM.SYS as soon as there is a explosion... however some of the older drivers do not feature this function.
Newest driver not featuring "improvement software"...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_163.75.html

This will get your game running fine... but you will have to sacrifice some of the later tweaks in your newer games.

Rest assured that now UBI now know after my painstaking troubleshooting and they are colating with nvidia on making a driver/patch/fix that will counteract this problem.

Please people try this fix and get back to me. I have tested several times and it works for me.

Last edited by icecold; 06-25-08 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-25-08, 08:05 PM   #117
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Thank you, icecold, for amazing persistence in sticking with this problem until it was fixed. You ignored negativism, you ignored customer disservice, you ignored your own disappointment when several promising solutions didn't work out. This is the most important thread in the history of the SH4 forum, because it will pave the way for the owners of the 8000 series of nVidia cards to enjoy Silent Hunter 4, extending its lifetime for hundreds of people who would have quit without your work.

On behalf of my Kraken crew and myself I present you with a couple of bottles of cheap tequilla.
Old 06-25-08, 09:18 PM   #118
icecold
Gunner

CHEERS!

U583 - STALKER Sets sail... and i have even picked up some saki too...

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/9...9d8740blv8.png
Old 06-27-08, 05:27 PM   #119
icecold
Gunner

***BUMP***

Still waiting on confirmation from others. If there are still issues i will keep looking, however i believe this resolution solves it completely. It has solved mine for sure.
Old 06-28-08, 12:41 AM   #120
Doolittle81
Commodore

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecold
SOLUTION FOUND!!!

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_163.75.html

This will get your game running fine... but you will have to sacrifice some of the later tweaks in your newer games.
What specific Tweaks are you talking about? If I have to sacrifice significant Visual 'tweaks' in order to run PE3 with SH4 1.5, I probably would just as soon stay with W_Clear's EE which almost always works fine with 1.5 (with Post Processing option disabled)
Doolittle81 is offline   Reply With Quote