SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-07-16, 02:14 PM   #1
Sinscarcity
Nub

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default SH4 Steam version mod issue

Hello everyone,

I'm new to SUBSIM. I have the Steam version of SH4 on my Windows 10 PC. I just installed the Los Angeles Class Improved mod v 4.2 and followed the extraction process perfectly. But when I went to see if the mod was available in the game, I did not find it listed. Please help if anyone knows what the solution is, thanks in advance!
Sinscarcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-16, 02:19 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Sinscarcity!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-16, 06:59 PM   #3
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Welcome to our little insane asylum, Sinscarcity. happy to have your aboard.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-16, 07:14 PM   #4
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Downloads: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinscarcity View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm new to SUBSIM. I have the Steam version of SH4 on my Windows 10 PC. I just installed the Los Angeles Class Improved mod v 4.2 and followed the extraction process perfectly. But when I went to see if the mod was available in the game, I did not find it listed. Please help if anyone knows what the solution is, thanks in advance!
You state that the extraction process went perfectly BUT what did you do after that? (There's more to installing a MOD then just a "perfect" extraction).
Gray Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-16, 05:39 AM   #5
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Check for a Steam folder and hopefully the extracted file should be in that.

Welcome to SubSim

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-16, 07:20 AM   #6
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Also, hopefully, said Steam game folder is not part of your \Program Files or \Program Files (x86) protected system directories ("directories" is what we call them on real computers, not "folders")

Set up Steam to put new games in a different directory. Then you'll have to reinstall SH4 (you DO have the U-Boat Missions version, don't you?) in a root directory. Mine is C:\Steam games.

Should be end of problem unless the mod isn't installed correctly. Keep us posted and we'll get you running!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-16, 08:56 AM   #7
slipf18
Sailor man

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Also, hopefully, said Steam game folder is not part of your \Program Files or \Program Files (x86) protected system directories ("directories" is what we call them on real computers, not "folders":
I googled that. Not sure I am buying it. Mostly what I read is that a directory is more correct in a DOS environment but folder is more correct in a graphical interface like Windows. I was around pre-Windows and don't ever remember the word folder being used. Also I found some references to the folder system arriving with the Apple Lisa. So maybe some credence to that?

I will say that all versions of Windows (including 10) refer to it as a folder. Right click on the desktop and hit "new". You will see folder as an option but not directory.

Most people use those two words interchangeably.

USS Growler (SS 215)
February 7, 1943
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-16, 10:52 AM   #8
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

It's just old farts like RRobbins and me that occasionally call folders directories. Once we die off, everyone will call them folders..... lmao : )
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-16, 01:41 PM   #9
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

A folder is the analogous representation of a directory. Directories live on disks, folders live in graphical representations of what is on the disk. Windows is a shell, a fictitious representation of what is really happening at the hardware level.

As a matter of fact, before "gui" was coined all these graphical representations were called shells. Now, Windows and Mac people all think that the shell is reality. Windows even tried with their "library" concept to divorce the concept of folders being on certain disks. A library can be spread all over creation, including cloud storage. Yuk!

At least in the Linux world the terminal window is still the holy of holies that the DOS window and before that DOS itself was. Now the command window is a crippled relic about as useful as your appendix. In Linux the terminal is the place where wondrous stuff happens and where understanding comes from. And Linux is a place where that bastardized creation of Satan (that would be Bill Gates), the backslash, needs not exist!

It's so bad that on TV commercials we have news readers (used to be reporters but they evolved to the point where they forgot how to report) give net addresses as "HTTP, colon, forward slash forward slash..." THERE IS NO FORWARD SLASH!!! There is a slash and there is the cursed backslash. I feel much better now.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-16, 02:22 PM   #10
slipf18
Sailor man

Downloads: 10

Hahaha that's funny. But you are right Windows is a shell.

The first computer I purchased with my own money in 87 was a Sanyo with twin floppy drives. The "new" 5.25 floppies which were still floppy. I bought the upgrade to 640k Ram and the 8088-2 processor. The dash 2 meant it had a Turbo button. When the heck would you not use the Turbo button?

It was like $2800. An enormous amount. I bought a brand new Plymouth Horizon next year for $5500.

That was the computer I ran Wolfpack? on. I remember the graphics being incredible at the time.

Talk about having trouble getting games to run. It was no fun in a DOS environment. The shell has made things a bit easier.

USS Growler (SS 215)
February 7, 1943

Last edited by slipf18; 05-18-16 at 02:31 PM.
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-16, 02:58 PM   #11
lukterran
Loader

Downloads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Also, hopefully, said Steam game folder is not part of your \Program Files or \Program Files (x86) protected system directories ("directories" is what we call them on real computers, not "folders")

Set up Steam to put new games in a different directory. Then you'll have to reinstall SH4 (you DO have the U-Boat Missions version, don't you?) in a root directory. Mine is C:\Steam games.

Should be end of problem unless the mod isn't installed correctly. Keep us posted and we'll get you running!
How do you do that? Ever time I try and tell Steam to move the files into another directory it only wants to give me to move it into the D: drive and leaves no other options other than the default.
lukterran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-16, 04:20 PM   #12
dodougla
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 5

In Steam, Under Settings - > Downloads, there's a folder called Steam Library Folders and you can manage them there.
dodougla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-16, 08:37 PM   #13
Sinscarcity
Nub

Downloads: 3

I downloaded the files from SUBSIM, and then extracted the folders with all the files to the MODS folder. I then opened the mod enabler and activated the mods. I then proceeded to open the game and noticed that the subs were not listed under the options available. I have Los Angeles and Ohio Class mods that are currently facing this issue.
Sinscarcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-16, 09:53 PM   #14
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

dodougla!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-16, 05:29 AM   #15
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim dodougla

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote

Tags
#sh4 #modissues