SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-08-13, 07:29 PM   #1
jscharpf
Frogman

Downloads: 294
Uploads: 0
Default Mark-10 torpedo any hints?

Ok I know you're all probably saying "why would you bother with the Mark-10 torpedo when you have access to the better ones right from the start?".

Well, I don't have a good answer lol, other than trying to simulate a situation where I was given a sub at the beginning of my career and they had some left over Mark-10 torpedoes.

Anyway, I loaded the back end of my sub with Mark-10's and today I was hunting a lone merchant somewhere in that little pocket of water near Hiroshima early in the war (still late 1941). I scored a hit with one of my main (front) torpedoes and was just sitting around waiting for it to sink (it was dead in the water but not sinking, just listing heavily), so I thought let's try out our rear torpedoes..

So I turned my sub around to get a straight shot, fired the first one, "donk".. bounced off.. second,... "donk".. bounced off.. third, fourth.. same thing..

The only thing I'm not sure about is if I had enough distance. I was very close.. but then I surfaced and killed him with my deck gun..

So I'm just wondering, was it a strange coincidence that all 4 bounced off? I think I was aboutg 500 yards away but perhaps I misjudged, since I didn't really re-check the distance after turning..

Jeff
jscharpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-13, 07:50 PM   #2
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscharpf View Post
Ok I know you're all probably saying "why would you bother with the Mark-10 torpedo when you have access to the better ones right from the start?".

Well, I don't have a good answer lol, other than trying to simulate a situation where I was given a sub at the beginning of my career and they had some left over Mark-10 torpedoes.

Anyway, I loaded the back end of my sub with Mark-10's and today I was hunting a lone merchant somewhere in that little pocket of water near Hiroshima early in the war (still late 1941). I scored a hit with one of my main (front) torpedoes and was just sitting around waiting for it to sink (it was dead in the water but not sinking, just listing heavily), so I thought let's try out our rear torpedoes..

So I turned my sub around to get a straight shot, fired the first one, "donk".. bounced off.. second,... "donk".. bounced off.. third, fourth.. same thing..

The only thing I'm not sure about is if I had enough distance. I was very close.. but then I surfaced and killed him with my deck gun..

So I'm just wondering, was it a strange coincidence that all 4 bounced off? I think I was aboutg 500 yards away but perhaps I misjudged, since I didn't really re-check the distance after turning..

Jeff
Hmm... you probably were to close as I don't think i've ever had a mark 10 dud before. You sure you those weren't mark 14's?
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-13, 09:19 PM   #3
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

I have Mk. 10 duds, but only about 1 in 10 (this in RFB).

It sounds like you were too close.

Ideally, the game would replicate the torpedo shortage, so we would have to settle for what was on hand, even if that meant waiting until the next boat came in, going out with a load of mines, or not having a full load.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 09:26 AM   #4
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

What was your firing angle? If, being so close, you fire at to steep an angle, 0- 45 degrees, you most likely broke the detonator. Next time try to fire at a 45 - 90 degree angle.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 07:59 PM   #5
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

The angle really shouldn't matter for the Mk. 10. Of course, he didn't say what mods he was using, so maybe there is something unusual there, but I doubt it.

If you really want to know, you can use S3D to peek at the files.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-13, 08:10 PM   #6
captgeo
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 105

yes,very rare indeed to not have the torp detonate,

but I use MK10's at the start of my career's, better then the 14
Old 12-12-13, 11:28 PM   #7
JoeCorrado
Weps

Downloads: 176
Uploads: 5

Pretty certain that your range to target was simply too close. As I recall, 500 yards for arming was required.

The Mark 10 was actually a sought after weapon once the unreliability of the Mark 14 became known. There was no meaningful defect ever reported with the Mark 10 firing pin and it was considered quite reliable. Firing angle should not be a suspect in this case - especially since you indicate that you lined up for a "straight shot" on a stationary target.

It actually would have helped if you had fired at a steep angle since the distance traveled to properly orient the torpedo angle and send it to the target would have counted toward the 500 yard requirement.

just one thing for you to do when you waste half of your load out for the rear tubes... and this is it:

My Game starts with GFO - Keepin' it real as it needs to be!
JoeCorrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-13, 09:43 PM   #8
jscharpf
Frogman

Downloads: 294

Thanks everyone, I think it must have been that I was too close.
jscharpf is offline   Reply With Quote