SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-05-10, 02:26 PM   #1
Capt. Teach
Gunner

Downloads: 70
Uploads: 1
Default U-boat Sound Pack in development

Greetings!

I am currently at work on a soundpack mod for SHIV 1.5 concerning the U-boats. I plan on making it JSGME (I think that is the correct acronym) installable.

I have however run into a few small snags (which could blossom into large ones). The biggest snag is finding authentic U-boat sounds that are meant to be signals for the crew. For example the US boats have whistles and buzzers and bells and horns etc for things like General Quarters, Emergency Dive, Emergency Surface, etc. However, finding the German equivalents are really starting to become very difficult to find. So far as my research has gone ... the only info I have come across seems to indicate they only used the bell? [A historical site dedicated to extreme internal detail of U-boats stated that the bell was installed in every compartment of the U-boat so that the entire crew would hear the signal when activated. They also went on to say that in the engine compartment they "believe" that a light was also connected to the bell because of the noise of the engines.] In any event, should that be the case ... then I need to find what the authentic blast types that were used. Like long blast on the bell for Alarm, or say (and this is just an example not actual) 3 short rings for surface the boat. That sort of thing.

If anyone knows of any resources or references I can access that contains this sort of information I would be most appreciative.

P.S. My work has only just begun and for the most part I am doing research and gathering authentic sounds. I have not as yet applied for upload privs as I feel at this early in the development stage I am unsure if I will be able to locate all that I need. My plan is to make this as authentic as possible using actual sounds or "authentic reproductions" [I take no responsiblility for the actual definition of that phrase. ]

Death? I'm not afraid of death, its the last few seconds of life that scare the hell out of me.
Capt. Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10, 05:38 PM   #2
Capt. Teach
Gunner

Downloads: 70
Uploads: 1

ACH! I've done it again ... wrong forum! So sorry guys ... Ill get myself together. This should appear in ATO forums

Death? I'm not afraid of death, its the last few seconds of life that scare the hell out of me.
Capt. Teach is offline   Reply With Quote