SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-19-17, 04:24 PM   #1
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489
Uploads: 0

Default Comprehensive Approach and Attack Tutorial Using Historically-Researched Methods

Hi All,

I have created a comprehensive tutorial which attempts to follow historical procedures as I understand them from studying various sources. I have linked this tutorial to my signature.

This tutorial builds upon the methods I outlined in my previous post:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=222377

There is no need to read the above thread in order to use the tutorial! Please try and provide feedback.

The tutorial focuses on, among many other things, the use of the Auswanderungsverfahren method not as a “shooting” method per se, as originally outlined in my thread, but rather as a data collection method, specifically a method to derive actual target speed. The more time I spent using this method as a shooting method alone, the more I realized how quickly the “solution” degrades as the target’s AOB changes. The disadvantage that arises here is two-fold: your solution may lose significant accuracy unless you shoot immediately after the “1-minute” timing exercise, and, due to the fact that the solution is based on “artificial”, substituted data, your shot is only valid for the specific target you timed/analyzed. The real disadvantage here of course is apparent when you are attacking a convoy and want to attack multiple targets. The German TDC was designed so that the AOB is coupled to scope/UZO bearing, allowing for quick shift of fire in attacking a subsequent target in a convoy. This advantage is rendered useless unless you are working with true target AOB and speed.

My motivation for my original thread - indeed the selling point - was to be able to obtain a gyro angle setting that will impact the target without the need for exact AOB or speed of the target. The reason for this motivation was to allow players to hit their targets without relying on data collection methods, the accuracy of which in many cases is historically inaccurate (plotting with exact WO range, fixed-wire method speed calcs while knowing perfect length-of-target, stadimeter use while knowing perfect target height). Thus the procedures outlined in this tutorial use only that information which was available with any measurable accuracy to a U-boat skipper: target bearing, own speed, and a 0° target AOB.

Please enjoy, and feedback is certainly welcome!

P.S. Can someone please confirm the link is in my sig? I can't even see my sig, can others? In the meantime, here is the link to the tutorial:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwI...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by derstosstrupp; 02-19-17 at 04:37 PM.
derstosstrupp is online   Reply With Quote