SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-15-09, 08:03 AM   #1951
looney
Commodore

Downloads: 43
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamazovnew View Post
The ones in OM are too good. The magnetic impactors are almost flawless. But the power of the eels is a bit small. I don't know how the damage works but I usually use 2 eels for any ship bigger than 3000k (most of them). Only one eel is not enough. I forgot to count how many ships I've hit with one eel, they continued to sail happily and then got sunk at my FIRST deck gun hit.

Hmm I'm using impact pistols only and I also fire 2 at a ship. At perfect 80-100° impact I get roughly 20-30% dud (early war, b4 Norway is taken). How is depth keeping?

P.s. I just got a knights Cross while not being the owner of the Iron Cross 1 and 2. How come?

Last edited by looney; 12-15-09 at 09:05 AM.
looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-09, 12:38 PM   #1952
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker_hlb3 View Post
Set "MinSurface" to = 0 for AirB_Visual sensor
Oh now I get it... Air S means Surface and Air B means Below. But won't that completely remove underwater detection? Waves and haze and sensibility already are ok. I'd like to have the planes see me at periscope depth if they're closer than 4000 m but only see me below 30 meters at less than 1000 m radius. What If I work with elevation? Are multiple sensors for each depth but with different radius and elevation? I've never worked with sensors before so please forgive my ignorance
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-09, 12:42 PM   #1953
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by looney View Post
Hmm I'm using impact pistols only and I also fire 2 at a ship. At perfect 80-100° impact I get roughly 20-30% dud (early war, b4 Norway is taken). How is depth keeping?

P.s. I just got a knights Cross while not being the owner of the Iron Cross 1 and 2. How come?
Depth keeping is too good for early war. But since the drafts are wrong you get the same result .

I believe that the medals are an indicative of how well your mission went. Since UBM is written on top of SH4 and the americans didn't award medals for total tonnage, you can expect a lot more Knight's crosses but then see a puny 2'd class Iron Cross in 44 after coming in with a meager 10k patrol, even if you have sunk 1 million tons until then.
Old 12-15-09, 12:53 PM   #1954
looney
Commodore

Quote:
Depth keeping is too good for early war. But since the drafts are wrong you get the same result .

I believe that the medals are an indicative of how well your mission went. Since UBM is written on top of SH4 and the americans didn't award medals for total tonnage, you can expect a lot more Knight's crosses but then see a puny 2'd class Iron Cross in 44 after coming in with a meager 10k patrol, even if you have sunk 1 million tons until then.
Hmm k.. all hardcoded (torps and depth) not?

Medals I don't care to much about..

AAAARGHH fired 6 torps at a light cruiser all duds , then 4 misses (the rear front simultanious attack is beyond me atm).. out of 14 fired torps only 4 worked (10k GRT down the drain but still )

Last edited by looney; 12-15-09 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-15-09, 02:37 PM   #1955
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Lurker, I know you've been bugged about planes before, but this isn't about preference or even style of play. I've built a mission with just me (Type 2 uboat) and an Elite Hurricane in 1940 that passes 1000 meters in front of me, coming from my 90 degrees. He's at 1000 meters altitude and the wind speed is 11 m/s (at 15 m/s the plane crashes).

Result? He spots me at, are you ready?, 120 meters below! I didn't even test it further below as it was already silly.

I've even put MinSurface = 0 and he detected me at more than 160 meters below. So the problem must lie somewhere else.

I also have a uestion about the hydrophone. I guess it's in the AI_sensors_GE.dat but which one is it? The max range i've seen there is less than 8000 meters which is so low that it might explain why my idiotic sonar guy can't hear a ship 1000m away from me.

Last edited by karamazovnew; 12-15-09 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-15-09, 03:35 PM   #1956
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12
Quote:
Lurker, I know you've been bugged about planes before, but this isn't about preference or even style of play. I've built a mission with just me (Type 2 uboat) and an Elite Hurricane in 1940 that passes 1000 meters in front of me, coming from my 90 degrees. He's at 1000 meters altitude and the wind speed is 11 m/s (at 15 m/s the plane crashes).

Result? He spots me at, are you ready?, 120 meters below! I didn't even test it further below as it was already silly.

I've even put MinSurface = 0 and he detected me at more than 160 meters below. So the problem must lie somewhere else.

I also have a uestion about the hydrophone. I guess it's in the AI_sensors_GE.dat but which one is it? The max range i've seen there is less than 8000 meters which is so low that it might explain why my idiotic sonar guy can't hear a ship 1000m away from me.
1.AirS_Visual = Single Engine Aircraft or Short Range Twin Engine Aircraft

2.AirB_Visual = Bombers or Patrol Aircraft

3.If you failed to change the MinSurface = 0 on BOTH sensor nodes your going to get spotted.

4.This concept was developed for TMO a very long time ago.

Also If you dont like the way torpedoes work then go to Torpedo.sim and change it to suit your taste
lurker_hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-09, 03:46 PM   #1957
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker_hlb3 View Post
1.AirS_Visual = Single Engine Aircraft or Short Range Twin Engine Aircraft

2.AirB_Visual = Bombers or Patrol Aircraft

3.If you failed to change the MinSurface = 0 on BOTH sensor nodes your going to get spotted.

4.This concept was developed for TMO a very long time ago.

Also If you dont like the way torpedoes work then go to Torpedo.sim and change it to suit your taste
Oh... . Thanks, will do. I've already increased the eels by 20%, seems a good choice. Any tip for the hydrophone?

Last edited by karamazovnew; 12-15-09 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-15-09, 05:43 PM   #1958
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Aircraft: Problem solved. The bug was from another mod. It made the aircraft even see through the moon when my sub was moving.
Hydrophone: I guess I'll need to forget my GWX tactics and actually dive below 30 meters and circle around to hear properly. Historically correct
Old 12-16-09, 11:04 AM   #1959
looney
Commodore

So how can i cope with the depth of the torps and the draft of the merchants?
Old 12-16-09, 11:16 AM   #1960
pepsi828
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 44

Sorry for a noob question, I've try to search some answer about plotting pattern for cross a canal, such as the kiel canal. but no luck

Is that any way of doing that like the auto-plot search pattern to cross the canal like the old SH3 GWX does? like stop at a canal dock and plot search pattern kind of thing, or do i have to plot through it as the normal way? thx
pepsi828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-09, 11:20 AM   #1961
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

Quote:
It will come with experience. I look at it as fog of war really. I forget which model torpedo but in OM, early war it does underrun. So you get some misses, but generally it really adds to game play and gives you that historical background to the frustrations of having a great setup go down the crapper due to faulty weapons.

We tend to have a whole lot more information on the targets than was available in WWII. Then there is the challenge of ID'ing the target and getting a sense of its length and height. This was prone to great error depending on weather, sea state and experience.

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-09, 11:36 AM   #1962
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Quote:
Set the depth to the exact value in the manual. Nothing fancy there. So far in SH I've never seen any good reason to explode a torpedo under a ship unless the impact angle was ugly. I think that bug holes in the hull are more effective at sinking a ship. I just set them to 2-3 meters deep and fire away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsi828 View Post
Sorry for a noob question, I've try to search some answer about plotting pattern for cross a canal, such as the kiel canal. but no luck
You'll have to plot it manually. You can do that as you're getting close to the Fatherland. Only takes a minute or so. I also suggest you open up the \Documents\SH4\data\cfg\main.cfg file and raise up the LandProximity value so you can buzz right through it. Otherwise it will take you quite some time to go through. I use LandProximity=1024 but I need to be careful about running submerged in shallow water or I might hit the bottom at high TC. After I transfer to France bases I turn it back to LandProximity=4.
Old 12-16-09, 01:07 PM   #1963
looney
Commodore

I usually set torp depths to 1 or 2 but after yesterday 6x dud against a light cruiser (C class I believe). I'm kinda pissed.
Old 12-16-09, 01:10 PM   #1964
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Quote:
I usually set torp depths to 1 or 2 but after yesterday 6x dud against a light cruiser (C class I believe). I'm kinda pissed.
Warships have very low draft. So magnetic set to 0.5 m deeper than the keel should be fine.
Old 12-16-09, 03:36 PM   #1965
looney
Commodore

just nailed a similar C-class at 1m impact.. and boom (blew rudder and props complete off, must have gotten speed to low I reccon)