SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-19-14, 09:18 PM   #46
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Or someone went fishing with TNT.
ikalugin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-14, 09:26 PM   #47
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Does Swedish sonar make a sound like 'bork' or does it 'ping'?

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-14, 10:36 PM   #48
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

It was just Putin playing with his new toy.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-14, 10:44 PM   #49
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Soviets were actually looking into transport subs:

(And many, many other paper projects)
Old 10-20-14, 02:21 AM   #50
daft
Captain

Downloads: 15

Regarding the filmed (alleged) explosions. It could be a prank, it could be a natural phenomenon such as thunder and lightning, though the guy that filmed it said it definately was not, the weather around the area was bad last night I believe. The first two explosions were louder than the one he caught on camera. It certainly is wise to remain sceptical until further info is available. If the Navy have opened fire, they will most likely let people know in due time.

No new developments during the night as far as I know.
Old 10-20-14, 02:40 AM   #51
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11

Imo Russia needs stop wasting time sending submarines to prowl foreign waters and focus on adding more content to War Thunder.

Last edited by JU_88; 10-20-14 at 03:10 AM.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-14, 02:48 AM   #52
Type941
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU_88 View Post
Imo Russia needs stop wasting time sending submarines to prowl foreign waters and focus on adding more content War Thunder.

most reasonable thing said in this thread. in fact, i want some battleships there.

Sink the Bismarck SH3 Movie
Type941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-14, 02:48 AM   #53
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU_88 View Post
Imo Russia needs stop wasting time sending submarines to prowl foreign waters and focus on adding more content War Thunder.
I would exchange WT for additional Russian (HK) nuclear subs, such a horrible person I am.
Old 10-20-14, 03:12 AM   #54
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type941 View Post
most reasonable thing said in this thread. in fact, i want some battleships there.
Yeah I can't wait for the Navy Battles! I hope they will add subs too someday. Any way sorry, going OT.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-14, 03:52 AM   #55
Type941
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 2

something russians writing about it:

Here is a kinda TLR version:
  • NS Concord is acting very strangely, took a long time to get to the middle of Baltic and had its AIS disconnected for 5 months. What it was doing in ST Pete is a big question
  • Another ship (Logachev) is converging on the area, owned by some Polar expedition group (russian too)
  • If the sub was there, it was not a nuke, so means diesel / and because of that, it will either surface soon (cant stay under too long) or have left the area. Or it will have to surface and give up.
  • Russians wont admit this and if it escaped, no need to admit
  • Usage of NS Concord is very questionable as is reputable company ownership (sovkomflot, i.e. largest russian one, well run, international)
  • thanks the ship is a connecting/communication beacon between the boat and moscow / may be

http://www.odin.tc/mbnew/read.asp?articleID=129

use google translate...
Quote:
"As we know from the reports of the Swedish, Russian and world media, the Swedish newspaper Svenska Dagbladet first raised the alarm, saying, citing sources in the Ministry of National Defense, in the evening on October 16 was intercepted by the "alarming" broadcast from the waters of the Stockholm Archipelago, presumably from a submarine. It seems that the transfer was in Russian, she walked through the channel reserved for emergency situations. Sweden threw in search of possible submarine in its waters a large number of capabilities. The flames were fanned tanker SCF NS Concord, which really behaves very strangely.

Last 5 months tanker held in St. Petersburg, according to the Swedish marine experts. It seems to be what to believe or not, this is a serious tanker serious company, check the history of AIS, and all will become clear. However, the point is that a number of websites available to me, tracking signals AIS, history of flights and ports of call NS Concord ends abruptly end of April and the release of Rotterdam. Suppose tanker left for repair in St. Petersburg, but why is not fixed at least coming to St. Petersburg? While repairs AIS could disable, but the output should have been included since. Recent data AIS just say that the tanker should be in the Danish straits, and where he came from, and when, does not say very gently say, unusual. Well, and then began a completely incomprehensible petlyaniya tanker in the middle of the Baltic Sea. He walked tacks in international waters, but the Swedish experts suspect that it serves as a repeater, that is, provides a link between the hypothetical submarine and someone on someone's shore. Perhaps, on the banks of the Moscow River.

Recent data AIS said that the tanker is still in the middle of the Baltic Sea. His movement in general is extremely curious.
Here's what the Swedes built:

But data from another site on the background, ie the movement of the tanker before the publication of parts of the country maneuvering.

They are no less interesting. I would even say more. From St. Petersburg to the areas of the country with all the maneuvers tanker nakrutki 350 miles, with its speed of 14 knots is the maximum two days, with all the narrow waters and other hazards. But judging by the website, whose services are not free and open to all (I have access, because the news is delivered on site), the tanker came from St. Petersburg ... October 3rd. That is, he did not go to a normal course, he was dragged. Why, why? I do not understand. This repeat, serious tanker night downtime costing tens of thousands of dollars. Normal commercial vessels do not behave without any serious reason. The question is - what?

At our yard Cold War. Given the huge increase in the activity of our military, wherever they are, and how far can reach, personally, I admit the possibility of some submarine action in certain waters, which in theory, they do nothing, and furthermore, their very presence there is illegal. In previous years, the Cold War is going right and left, got into our water foe, adversary from time to time are fighting not friendly visits. It is well known that our civil court when necessary, used by the military to carry out certain tasks. But to be honest, hard to imagine that for some similar problems using a commercial tanker is very large. Except that it does not pre-prepared to perform some specific tasks? I repeat - I can not understand that the tanker did 5 months in St. Petersburg, and why this fact is not recorded in its history. As well as I can not understand how you can go from St. Petersburg in the Baltic Centre for almost three weeks. Well, not, say, 10 hours to drive to the metro from Theatre to River Station, and walk even husband and will not try to explain his absence to his wife that the train was going 10 hours.

Can offer several versions, but probably is not worth it. While it is possible to track the movement of another vessel, immediately which attracted a lot of attention - it's NIS Professor Logatchev (IMO 883469, Russian flag, the owner of the FSUE Polar Marine Geological Expedition), released from Kronstadt appointment to Las Palmas, and approaching at the moment ( MSK 2000 October 19) to areas of the country zigzags sovkomflotovskogo tanker. Interestingly, the RV left Kronstadt, and that the last 5 months he spent in repairs.

Can the military and so in passing (or not passing, in accordance with some plan or project) to use for their problems civilian merchant ships, especially such serious? A year ago I would have said no, impossible. Now I have so I can not say.

Finally on the submarine itself, if it has a place to be. All is now in the hands of the Swedes. While concrete facts in favor of the version of the penetration of water in Sweden Russian submarines not. But let's not forget that we can only talk about a diesel submarine, whose stay under water without surfacing limited to a few days on end. If the boat is, and is in Swedish waters for a long time under water it would not last. Or she will leave, or will pop up and say so, at the mercy of surrender or die. If you leave or have already left, slipped, then in theory, to prove that she really was and entered the water in Sweden, will be very difficult.

If, indeed, the whole spy story is not fiction, and not fear the Swedes, I can only shrug. To drive a huge tanker one of the largest tanker companies in the world, as any auxiliary military scuzzy lift, it is something out of the ordinary, especially in such difficult times of economic hardship and sanctions. And if there is a submarine and find her, and would tie tightly to the Russian Federation, and will be followed by yet another scandal, then what can be expected SCF, our main national maritime carrier? Slapped sanctions on it, the type of very tough sanctions against the Iranian tanker company NITC, and Russia remains without its largest owner. For what?

Hopefully, the boat is still no, at least in Swedish waters. Our Ministry of Defence as it is known, has already given a categorical denial, but we know what the price according to our Defense, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and scared to tell anyone else.

Aframax tanker NS Concord, IMO 9299692, dwt 105902 tons, built 2005, flag Liberia, GFR NovoShip operator, Novorossiysk.

Mikhail Voitenko
October 19

Corrections and additions:
The tanker came to place their strange maneuvers even on October 5th. On the morning of October 20 tanker did not leave the area, and was in the drift (NIS Professor Logatchev on October 20 0000 Greenwich somewhere lost, AIS signal is absent). His maneuvering and for such a long stay in the center of the Baltic Sea can not be explained by ordinary, normal practice for operating cargo ships, the more of this type and of this size. The company Sovcomflot, for all the criticism of some aspects of e activity (powerful lobbying its interests at the highest level and guaranteed by the state cargo base that leaves competitors in the Russian market is no chance), however, is one of the few major Russian companies operating in the global level. Its fleet is operated very professionally. Actions tanker NS Concord did not fit into the normal operation of GFR, they defy logical explanation. GFR values ​​its reputation and tries to prove that it has become one of the largest tanker companies in the world for his work, and not the state of the power and support. However, there is little doubt that the company will execute the orders of their superiors, no matter how ridiculous and damaging to the reputation of the company as they may seem. Deal with the Devil, she deal with the devil is. Perhaps the actions of NS Concord has some rational, not conspirological explanation, but then guide GFR is obliged to provide it."

Sink the Bismarck SH3 Movie

Last edited by Type941; 10-20-14 at 04:03 AM.
Type941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-14, 04:44 AM   #56
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by daft View Post
Regarding the filmed (alleged) explosions. It could be a prank, it could be a natural phenomenon such as thunder and lightning, though the guy that filmed it said it definately was not, the weather around the area was bad last night I believe. The first two explosions were louder than the one he caught on camera. It certainly is wise to remain sceptical until further info is available. If the Navy have opened fire, they will most likely let people know in due time.
Either that or the age old phenomenon...a shrimp farting.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-14, 05:02 AM   #57
daft
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Either that or the age old phenomenon...a shrimp farting.

Get enough shrimp into a small area and it will be a national crisis.
Old 10-20-14, 05:25 AM   #58
Safe-Keeper
Ocean Warrior

According to Norwegian news, the Swedish navy intercepted "signals" on a frequenzy the Russians use for distress calls shortly before the first u-boat sighting was made. Which might help explain why their navy took the report so seriously.

Oh, and don't ever use RT as a credible source. It's Putin's pet propaganda channel .
Safe-Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-14, 06:22 AM   #59
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by daft View Post
Get enough shrimp into a small area and it will be a national crisis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
According to Norwegian news, the Swedish navy intercepted "signals" on a frequenzy the Russians use for distress calls shortly before the first u-boat sighting was made. Which might help explain why their navy took the report so seriously.

Oh, and don't ever use RT as a credible source. It's Putin's pet propaganda channel .
Rgr that.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-14, 06:41 AM   #60
daft
Captain

The Swedish Navy us now putting up a safety zone around the current search area. Earlier civilian vessels were allowed pretty close to the operation, but as of now the military want a 10km perimiter cleared around tje search area. No civilians allowed in.