SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-29-12, 01:28 AM   #1351
KarlKoch
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomi_099 View Post
I have this Problem !!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
Error says Index is out of bounds. Must not be negative and smaller as listing.
Old 05-29-12, 01:49 AM   #1352
BIGREG
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 155
Uploads: 0

Hi

Tomi send me the file to see what happen

TDW with the version 1.1.188.1
I have all the time errors (lack Ks in the MTL) with 3dWings and 3dsMax
But one thing good that is the export in subset (element) ,yet in 3DWings the selection by element work (not more the all object selected)
other good thing the vertices/faces etc.. numbers exported are the same when i exporting with 3dsmax or 3dwings

Edit :

I just tried to understand how the AO works in wings3d, But I'm not about to have all understood
So I tried the function, it adds an object to me (a bulb:) in my list of geometry and material (editable: texture, color etc ...)
But can not assign or pair it with the mesh.
i have try to export/importing But i have the MTL error

Quick question: Why, I have this sacred "default material" in wings3d ?
Will not do this AO !?!? , Which would be already present ? , But not recognized as AO, but as a material ? other is just for the hidden faces ?

In other words, is there way to have the materials and the AO, included in one. OBJ ?

Into 3dsmax ,i have found how to add AO and the import works ,But dito as the previous version,the material change don't work ...

"Better watch where you do not go, because where were going, we will know what it is when we get there, and anyway, it will never be only water."

Proverbe Shadok

Last edited by BIGREG; 05-29-12 at 05:09 AM.
BIGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-12, 06:27 AM   #1353
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGREG View Post
TDW with the version 1.1.188.1
I have all the time errors (lack Ks in the MTL) with 3dWings and 3dsMax
But one thing good that is the export in subset (element) ,yet in 3DWings the selection by element work (not more the all object selected)
other good thing the vertices/faces etc.. numbers exported are the same when i exporting with 3dsmax or 3dwings
What exactly does the error say? I used your 3DsMax files as test files and was able to load them with no errors.

As far as your questions about Wings3D I don't know the answer. I know just enough about Wings3D to be dangerous with it and that's it

Last edited by TheDarkWraith; 05-29-12 at 06:37 AM.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-12, 06:57 AM   #1354
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKoch View Post
Error says Index is out of bounds. Must not be negative and smaller as listing.
I wonder what he did to get that error I'd like to know so I can gracefully handle it
Old 05-29-12, 07:07 AM   #1355
BIGREG
Grey Wolf

Sorry

4 hours of tutorials later ... I believe that. Obj can contain all the data
Here is a link to examples (Use as a milk cow ): http://www.download.lyndondaniels.com/ranchers/

Edit : Last version repport

3DsMax: Still this problem of Material Change, nothing to do with 3DsMax, the changes do not appear with the editor , but well under Wings3D

Wings3D : All work pretty ,But in the previous version, the selection by element which work well is no longer the case.

"Better watch where you do not go, because where were going, we will know what it is when we get there, and anyway, it will never be only water."

Proverbe Shadok

Last edited by BIGREG; 05-29-12 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-29-12, 08:15 AM   #1356
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Edit : Last version repport

3DsMax: Still this problem of Material Change, nothing to do with 3DsMax, the changes do not appear with the editor , but well under Wings3D

Wings3D : All work pretty ,But in the previous version, the selection by element which work well is no longer the case.
3DsMax: Send me all the files for this - the GR2 file and all your OBJs and MTLs. Give me a step by step procedure of what you are doing so I can duplicate it so I can see what's going on.

Wings3D: What do you mean by selection by element?

I'm sending you another version, 1.1.190.1, as I just found a Wings3D OBJ file that contains multiple objects in it so I had to write a converter to convert the multiple objects into a single object (like I did with 3DsMax)
Old 05-29-12, 08:32 AM   #1357
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

I took the last archive you sent me with the OBJs and MTL files from 3DsMax and edited one of the jpg files in Photoshop to see if the app was actually applying the new textures called for in the MTL files:

I did a loose import of the Periscope base from the files you sent me. This tells me the app is reading the MTL files correctly and is applying the new textures I'm really puzzled as to why your new material is not showing.

Was the change you made to the AO or to the diffuse? I need the GR2 file you are currently using to do a correct import and to be able to see what you are seeing.
Old 05-29-12, 08:47 AM   #1358
BIGREG
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
3DsMax: Send me all the files for this - the GR2 file and all your OBJs and MTLs. Give me a step by step procedure of what you are doing so I can duplicate it so I can see what's going on.

Wings3D: What do you mean by selection by element?

I'm sending you another version, 1.1.190.1, as I just found a Wings3D OBJ file that contains multiple objects in it so I had to write a converter to convert the multiple objects into a single object (like I did with 3DsMax)
My step

With all new editor version a make a new export with a original file
exporting the both (with AO)

3DsMax

-> import the .obj in 3dsmax ,select some faces and assign an other existing material -> export (no option checked)
->import the AO and export (to have the same vertices )
->import in editor in loose mod with AO

Wings3D

-> Same with 3DsMax

For selecting : you can select by vertices,faces,edge and element in the previous version ,not the all mesh was selected,but only the subset

Proverbe Shadok
Old 05-29-12, 08:59 AM   #1359
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
My step

With all new editor version a make a new export with a original file
exporting the both (with AO)

3DsMax

-> import the .obj in 3dsmax ,select some faces and assign an other existing material -> export (no option checked)
->import the AO and export (to have the same vertices )
->import in editor in loose mod with AO

Wings3D

-> Same with 3DsMax

For selecting : you can select by vertices,faces,edge and element in the previous version ,not the all mesh was selected,but only the subset
Now it makes sense. The file exported from Wings3D or 3DsMax with the changes is probably identical to the file exported from Wings3D or 3DsMax with no changes. Try it and see. This would explain why the app shows no changes

I believe that in order for those kinds of changes you are making to persist they have to be placed into a new subset. Think about it: you asked 3DsMax to just change the rendering material for some faces - the texture coordinates are the same. There would need to be new entries in the OBJ file denoting the material for these changed faces and the vertices, texture coordinates, and face definitions for them also. The app will currently not allow you to add/remove subsets.
Old 05-29-12, 09:22 AM   #1360
BIGREG
Grey Wolf

and why that work with wings3D

Proverbe Shadok
Old 05-29-12, 09:28 AM   #1361
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
and why that work with wings3D
Those files you sent me I loaded into Wings3D and saw no change (rendered exactly like the app showed). Maybe you didn't send me the correct files?
Old 05-29-12, 09:48 AM   #1362
BIGREG
Grey Wolf

New pm with the file from the last version

You can see the mesh from Wings3D with diffuses is not optimized ,but this one with AO is optimized ,this is the first time ,that make that with Wings

Proverbe Shadok
Old 05-29-12, 10:35 AM   #1363
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
New pm with the file from the last version

You can see the mesh from Wings3D with diffuses is not optimized ,but this one with AO is optimized ,this is the first time ,that make that with Wings
The Wings3D one will not load - the app won't allow it. This is because the number of non-AO vertices does not equal the number of AO vertices in the OBJ files. The app has to be able to map the AO texture coordinates to the non-AO vertices. The only way it can do this is if both vertice counts are equal.

The 3DsMax one throws the mtl error because you only exported 3 subsets. It was looking for every subset. This is an oversight on my part and I'll correct the code
Old 05-29-12, 04:04 PM   #1364
BIGREG
Grey Wolf

Well, I have sought and learned many things about the AO
Now I must put it into practice

During my research, I found this description of .OBJ : http://people.sc.fsu.edu/~jburkardt/txt/obj_format.txt
Maybe it can be useful (albeit with your knowledges )

Proverbe Shadok
Old 05-29-12, 09:02 PM   #1365
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

I'm currently updating the app to be compliant with the document BIGREG posted above. It''ll take me a couple of days
There is one thing that I will not be compliant with - I will force you to list the subset names (g entries) or the app will return an error. The model name (o entry) is now optional.

Since doing this I've seen an error in my code relating to how the materials were being assigned to the subsets with the new mtl reader code. This will be fixed also