SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-05-10, 05:31 AM   #1
vonTorpitz
Seaman

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0
[REQ] U-Boat Damage in SH5 - Needs Major Work

Where to begin. Well then, first we must look to a subsim damage model that actually worked. The u-boat damage model (ie. enemy damage to the u boat from depth charges and air sorties) in SH3 and SH4 was great and it worked to create a major element of suspense and realism. If the British depth charged your boat and the charge exploded near the front of the boat, you could expect damage to the forward torpedo room systems, and overall flooding in the forward compartments. If one exploded above your boat, you could expect conning tower damage and/or flooding and perhaps a ruined attack periscope. Nice system indeed. Very smart.
So its shocking that Ubisoft decided to make a departure from the reasonably accurate and detailed u-boat damage model they had employed in their previous releases, especially when considering its flawed replacement. Id like to list the glaring failures of the current model in light of its predecessors, but I simply don't want to get into a list that long and detailed and I'm sure anyone who has been depth charged in SH5 knows my misery on this issue. Its a show-stopper at this point. It completely removes any illusion of reality in SH5. It effectively neuters the game and, by extension, the whole genre. Ive been able to deal with most of the other bugs and inconsistencies in the design of this game as of yet, but the current damage system in my opinion, takes the cake, so to speak. I haven't seen many threads yet on this issue and its an issue that perhaps, needs the most attention. Or at least some serious discussion.

Danke und Sieg!

vonTorpitz

Last edited by vonTorpitz; 04-05-10 at 07:26 AM.
vonTorpitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage, damage assessment, flooding, mods, repair