SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-07-08, 11:42 PM   #256
Albrecht Von Hesse
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

If we're ever going to play serious careers/campaigns, something should be done about the (seeming) hull invulnerability of ships.

I had a pretty decent third patrol, considering I returned with a torpedo.

Then again, I made it back to base with my navigator reporting we were within 2 kilometers short of reaching base, based upon the remaining fuel!

By far the most interesting 'kill' was the elco boat.

It continued to circle and 'attack' long after I (somehow, danke Gott!) managed to out-duel her and destroy her offensive weaponry. But I fired over a thousand rounds of heavy flak into her hull and, trust me, at the range she was at most of those were hitting. It felt like I could have flak-gunned her hull from now to Armegeddon without any effect. It wasn't until I started walking the rounds along the very top of her superstructure that she finally exploded and went down.

Is there anything that can be done to decrease these things adamantine hulls? At least for those of us playing S-boots.
Old 02-08-08, 12:00 AM   #257
Gewehr98
Mate

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

As for the panther emblem, here it is:

Not the best reproduction, but it's a start.
Gewehr98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-08, 12:01 AM   #258
gimpy117
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 108

i bet it can be done... yay panther!!! good size too...
gimpy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-08, 12:20 AM   #259
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albrecht Von Hesse
If we're ever going to play serious careers/campaigns, something should be done about the (seeming) hull invulnerability of ships.

I had a pretty decent third patrol, considering I returned with a torpedo.

Then again, I made it back to base with my navigator reporting we were within 2 kilometers short of reaching base, based upon the remaining fuel!

By far the most interesting 'kill' was the elco boat.

It continued to circle and 'attack' long after I (somehow, danke Gott!) managed to out-duel her and destroy her offensive weaponry. But I fired over a thousand rounds of heavy flak into her hull and, trust me, at the range she was at most of those were hitting. It felt like I could have flak-gunned her hull from now to Armegeddon without any effect. It wasn't until I started walking the rounds along the very top of her superstructure that she finally exploded and went down.

Is there anything that can be done to decrease these things adamantine hulls? At least for those of us playing S-boots.
I think the quickest way of doing this would simply be increasing the effectiveness of the 37mm round! I'll test that now...

Meanwhile, bastards did this to my poor S-boot

I was parked near Crete, waiting to time my raid to Alexandria with night-time of the following day, when I got careless and let an Anson slip past. I'm sure glad I survived! (lost 5 men KIA though )

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-08, 12:31 AM   #260
gimpy117
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 108

lol how are you still afloat??

ps.what damage more are you using??
gimpy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-08, 01:33 AM   #261
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhayl
I PMed JS to know what exactly doesn't work, if the mod progresses enough to really allow "realistic" campaign games this will be fixed in a way or an other
The IIA's .zon file contents have changed, meaning that SH3Cmdr is no longer writing the randomised crush depth value to the right spot (yeah, irrelevant here, but SH3Cmdr doesn't know that...yet).

Solution: open SH3Cmdr's "Sh3 options.cfg" file, scroll down to the "[CRUSH DEPTH]" block and delete the line "IIA=NSS_Uboat2A|x2688|175".

Let me know if this does not solve the problem

If it works, it will only be a temporary fix because, yes, as first announced here right now, I am working on an update to SH3Cmdr which, amongst it things, will see it handle file contents much more dynamically.

BTW: read your PM, I'll work on something over the weekend.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-08, 01:48 AM   #262
Ivan Putski
Captain

Downloads: 21

LOL CCIP you know you always wanted a convertable

Last edited by Ivan Putski; 02-08-08 at 01:50 PM.
Ivan Putski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-08, 04:26 AM   #263
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

I also see you've also included two versions of Cameras.dat, which are different sizes. As such there's every likelihood that at least one of them will break SH3Cmdr's randomised events feature.

Basically, if the size of any of the following game files change, then SH3Cmdr's randomised events.cfg file will need reviewing to ensure the offsets don't need changing.

data\Library\AI_Sensors.dat
data\Library\GUNS_SUB.sim
data\Library\Cameras.dat
data\Library\Sensors.sim
data\Library\Sensors.dat
data\Submarine\NSS_Uboat7b\NSS_Uboat7b.sim
data\Submarine\NSS_Uboat7c\NSS_Uboat7c.sim
data\Submarine\NSS_Uboat9b\NSS_Uboat9b.sim
data\Submarine\NSS_Uboat9c\NSS_Uboat9c.sim
data\Submarine\NSS_Uboat9d2\NSS_Uboat9d2.sim
data\Submarine\NSS_Uboat21\NSS_Uboat21.sim
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-08, 09:17 AM   #264
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

Downloads: 21

I didn't read all 17 pages stem to stern, and I apologize if this has been addressed already. Is it possible to change it so that the game will show S-Boot instead of IIA in the damage control screen and boat selection menus? This depends on if the first part if doable, but if it is could the numbers be changed from say U-5 to S-5 or something (or whatever numbers S-Boots used)?

I just want to reiterate that this mod is looking more fantastic everytime I check this thread!
Syxx_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-08, 10:29 AM   #265
bertle
Watch

Downloads: 20

Do you actually sink when damaged?

I ask because in Sh3 stock or modded your sub, at surface, will never actually sink even with all compartments nearly flooded. As soon as you submerge you of course sink like a stone. Now this boat doesn't have huge air filled tanks keeping it afloat so does it sink or is it a hardcoded problem?
bertle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-08, 10:51 AM   #266
Albrecht Von Hesse
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I know you'll eventually sink because I've seen us sink in multiplayer games. I don't know, though, if you can loose your boat to sinking instead of accumulated damage, which seems to be what usually takes us out.

Also (and this is, of course, very long range planning) the awards and qualifications may want to be looked at. It's a little weird having my crew being awarded U-boat badges! --grins--
Old 02-08-08, 11:04 AM   #267
-SWCowboy.
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

For those of us who like to sling paint, is it possible to upload the image TGAs for this? I've got no clue how to extract things from DAT files...I think it was either DD or Privateer that tried to teach me but you can't teach this old dog new tricks
Old 02-08-08, 11:48 AM   #268
Albrecht Von Hesse
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albrecht Von Hesse
I know you'll eventually sink because I've seen us sink in multiplayer games. I don't know, though, if you can loose your boat to sinking instead of accumulated damage, which seems to be what usually takes us out.

Also (and this is, of course, very long range planning) the awards and qualifications may want to be looked at. It's a little weird having my crew being awarded U-boat badges! --grins--
You know what, actually I already stored copies of all these .tga's in a second "menu folder" to take care of them, but at the moment it's so far away on that never ending todo list that I can't even read it :rotfl:
This is a massive undertaking Mikhayl. If you're going to do it properly --as I've no doubt you are and will-- there is a ton of things to do. Don't worry, we won't be pestering you for a full release for, oh, another week at least.

(If anyone wants be to host MP games just PM or message me; otherwise I'm trying to play with creating a playable DD)
Old 02-08-08, 12:14 PM   #269
-SWCowboy.
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -SWCowboy.
For those of us who like to sling paint, is it possible to upload the image TGAs for this? I've got no clue how to extract things from DAT files...I think it was either DD or Privateer that tried to teach me but you can't teach this old dog new tricks
here you go
http://rapidshare.com/files/90174182...t_tex.zip.html

However I think I've read somewhere on subsim that the textures for the type II have to be included the .dat, the game won't read them if they're in the texture folder, not sure about this though :hmm:
Oh damn...that would explain why Koon only made 2 skins for that Type II class... Thanks for those files! I'll see if I can learn how to handle that DAT file but my fear is if I do add skins to it like that, eventually you'll update it and those skins will be useless...
Old 02-08-08, 12:25 PM   #270
yamato9
Lieutenant

Downloads: 118

Quote:
I've just tested the flooding stuff
The boat sinks more and more as the flooding increase, but you can't totally sink because the death screen pops up once a single compartment is fully flooded :
If you go in Mission editor and open some single mission and then mark this mission like "multiplayer" then total sinking is viewable(end mission screen pops up but game don´t pause) like in multiplayer game. OK campaign is something totally different so this is not possible to enable there.

Or maybe some moders know how to create "single" campaign to be treated like MP campaign?:hmm:
yamato9 is offline   Reply With Quote