SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-28-14, 07:19 PM   #4216
Snarf
Officer

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 10

Hmm I seem to be getting the JANAC treatment with TMO + small patch. I've not gotten credit for 2 akita marus and a nippon maru now Has anyone else encountered this?
Old 05-03-14, 06:23 PM   #4217
_alphaBeta_
Medic

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0

TMO 2.5: I don't seem to be visually detecting air units. I was cruising in 1941 and got an announcement that I had a SD radar contact. I thought this was essentially a bug due to my ignorance of SD radar at the time. Point is, I kept on going my merry way. I bumped up the time compression a bit and I'm being bombed by a plane out of nowhere (event camera confirmed). There were no announcements from my watch that I recall, and the plane didn't show on the navigation map after the attack. My watch should have seen it coming when it got close and kicked down the time compression.

I'm thinking this may be related to the removed silhouettes given that planes in clear site from the sub don't show at all during some tests I made in the submarine school (but that's rather inconclusive given the quirks of the tutorials). Still, within the submarine school artillery training (which is very interesting with TMO since everything attacks), I observed the following:
  1. Approaching air units detected via my radar show as gray as expected.
  2. Even when right on top of the sub, there's no indication of them on the navigation map, and the watch failed to report the visual contact.
  3. They showed up as moving gray units after their attacks.
  4. Reverting <\Data\Menu\gui\ContLine.dds> and <\Data\Menu\gui\DashLine.dds> resulted in red tails (and only red tails) of the active aircraft, and the watch announced their presence when in visual range. I'm assuming I'd have to revert the planes' <_shp.dds> file to have them completely show up again.
I'm all for toning down the amount of information that's available from the navigation map, but not at the expense of visually detecting the aircraft after the initial radar contact. Is any of this intentional, or am I doing something wrong?

I'll plan to restore the initial <_shp.dds> files for all sea and air units and remove the folders entirely for the new units to temporarily observe. I'll also restore <\Data\Menu\gui\ContLine.dds> and <\Data\Menu\gui\DashLine.dds> since I'd like to learn the capabilities of these various units. I've noticed that numerous parameters of these units have changed. Is the sensor information that's drawn to the screen dynamic to know the new values?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice Holder View Post
I thought it was hard coded tho into the mod
The mod instructions do make it sound like that, but it appears to me anyway that this only affects the default difficulties. You can still go in an customize whatever you like by clicking the clock in the office before going on patrol. Remember that the main menu settings are usually overwritten by whatever difficulty you select from the campaign which is a confusion of the original game.

As a side note, it also appears that the weights of the realism factors are different with some not counting one way or another such as the event camera. I suppose this is intentional, but all I know is playing with my usual custom realism settings results in a higher realism number than the stock game.
Old 05-03-14, 10:28 PM   #4218
mobucks
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 209

alphabeta:

What level of time compression were you at when you got bombed without the crew alarming you to the presence of the attacking plane?

A high TC can cause planes to sink player subs before the game has time to go back to normal TC. It's just the nature of how time compression works.
mobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-14, 09:06 AM   #4219
_alphaBeta_
Medic

Thanks for the reply. I was probably only at 32x or 64x at the time. Nothing very high that should cause this problem. I'm unfortunately familiar with time compression woes since SHIII.

I'm still playing with all the silhouettes back on to see if the problem is any better. Testing was going expeditiously until I spent two hours last night trying to shake an auxiliary submarine chaser. With the TMO sensors, it was quite an ordeal.
Old 05-25-14, 03:36 AM   #4220
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Downloads: 324
Default hi

back too sub simming

Captain_AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-14, 10:43 AM   #4221
vahadar
Nub

Downloads: 1

I'm revisiting this mod after having played it some years ago. SH4 is a great sim and TMO a great add-on, thank you again
vahadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-14, 12:08 AM   #4222
joefremont
Loader

Downloads: 47

I tried TMO for a couple campaigns and there are a lot of things I like about it but usually quit before getting to the end of the war. The last campaign I was cruising 75-100 miles off the japanese mainland, its night, I see an aircraft heading my direction. Dive down to 300 feet, speed 1/3. Wait for it to go away, then suddenly BANG! damage all over the place, massive flooding, uncontrolled decent into the depths. That happened enough times it just was not fun anymore.
joefremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-14, 10:17 AM   #4223
Marshall Ney
Loader

Downloads: 87
Default confused about this mod

I came back to subsim and this time decided to try SH IV instead of V this time. I saw a couple of Youtube videos of this mod and decide to give it a go.

Anyways, it took me a few hours to get mod loaded properly, and it it looks good; but spent 2+ hrs. on the empty sea. I downloaded Trigger 2.5.

However, I have a question or two about the mod. First, when I watched one video, the person was able to start off(in Dec or Jan,41, don't remember which) at Midway Island harbor, BUT I had no choice of that, just vanilla Pearl or Manila!!!

Also, in this area there is a reference to 1).Trigger Maru overhaul and 2). TMO optional_ mod. I haven't found a downloadable link for #2. Is there one???? Relating, this I did see a patch for TMO, going from 2.0>2.2. Is this what I need for completting Trigger overhaul??

Hope someone can help and thanks in advance,

MN
Marshall Ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-14, 08:09 AM   #4224
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Ney View Post
I came back to subsim and this time decided to try SH IV instead of V this time. I saw a couple of Youtube videos of this mod and decide to give it a go.

Anyways, it took me a few hours to get mod loaded properly, and it it looks good; but spent 2+ hrs. on the empty sea. I downloaded Trigger 2.5.

However, I have a question or two about the mod. First, when I watched one video, the person was able to start off(in Dec or Jan,41, don't remember which) at Midway Island harbor, BUT I had no choice of that, just vanilla Pearl or Manila!!!

Also, in this area there is a reference to 1).Trigger Maru overhaul and 2). TMO optional_ mod. I haven't found a downloadable link for #2. Is there one???? Relating, this I did see a patch for TMO, going from 2.0>2.2. Is this what I need for completting Trigger overhaul??

Hope someone can help and thanks in advance,

MN
Welcome! I use 1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2.5; 1_TMO_25_small_patch; RSRDC_TMO_v502; RSRDC_v5xx_Patch1; RSRDC_TMO_PrePearl Harbor Career Start; Pre-PH Mod Patch and a bunch after that (as long as they don't override the 2 patches listed above. Works for me!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-14, 11:42 AM   #4225
Marshall Ney
Loader

Default Thanks, but

Torpedobait, thanks, but my main question(s) is concerning what do I need to have the option of starting a career off at Midway or some of the other options I saw somewhere. I have loaded TriggerMaul_Overhaul 2.5 only, and now I have only the option(s) of Manila or Peral at start of war!!! So, please what do I need to get these other options???? Is that patch 2.0>2.2 something that needs the JSGME to activate???

Thanks, no offense to Torpedobait,

MN
Old 05-31-14, 12:08 PM   #4226
joefremont
Loader

Downloads: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Ney View Post
Torpedobait, thanks, but my main question(s) is concerning what do I need to have the option of starting a career off at Midway or some of the other options I saw somewhere. I have loaded TriggerMaul_Overhaul 2.5 only, and now I have only the option(s) of Manila or Peral at start of war!!! So, please what do I need to get these other options???? Is that patch 2.0>2.2 something that needs the JSGME to activate???

Thanks, no offense to Torpedobait,

MN
The experience I had was that when your based at Pearl, if you start the mission in port you start docked at Pearl, if you start outside of port, you start docked at Midway. Of course to finish the mission you still need to return to Pearl harbor.
joefremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-14, 02:45 PM   #4227
John Channing
Sea Lord

Downloads: 156
Uploads: 5

My current campaign started at Pearl. If you select "In Harbour" then you will be at dockside. If you select "Outside Harbour" you will be a few miles off shore. After a few patrols you will automatically be transferred to Midway. Same deal applies there.

JCC
John Channing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-14, 07:31 PM   #4228
_alphaBeta_
Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefremont View Post
The experience I had was that when your based at Pearl, if you start the mission in port you start docked at Pearl, if you start outside of port, you start docked at Midway. Of course to finish the mission you still need to return to Pearl harbor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Channing View Post
My current campaign started at Pearl. If you select "In Harbour" then you will be at dockside. If you select "Outside Harbour" you will be a few miles off shore. After a few patrols you will automatically be transferred to Midway. Same deal applies there.

JCC
In an effort to remove the confusion, the "TMO 25 small patch" added the behavior of starting dockside at Midway when selecting to start outside Pearl Harbor. This was not in the original TMO 2.5. Personally it bothered me, so I changed this particular behavior back. It was, AFAIK, and undocumented change of the small patch but confirmed nonetheless by diffing the files.
Old 06-01-14, 03:16 AM   #4229
Gibus
Ensign

Downloads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefremont View Post
Dive down to 300 feet, speed 1/3. Wait for it to go away, then suddenly BANG! damage all over the place, massive flooding, uncontrolled decent into the depths.
After an aerial detection, better make a crash dive and take a new direction 90 °.
That said, if you've been hit by depth charges to 300 feet, this is not normal.
Maybe you hit a mine.

"Pacific is a big ocean. You don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
Dick O'Kane
Gibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 08:11 AM   #4230
Marshall Ney
Loader

Default Wow ????

After reading all these posts I'm more confused!!!! I tried starting outside at Pearl, but that's where I was, NOT at Midway!!! I tried Dec8, 41 and Jan42, the same. Then I tried middle of '42 and guess what???, I had a choice of Midway(where I just started a new career).

At least part of MY confusion about this was thinking that a Youtube videos I watched started at one of the earliest times; BUT also if you read Trigger's manual, there's no indication of different starting times for different fleets starts. It reads, at least to me, that all positions are available from Dec '41.

Anyway, I don't know if I loaded everything correctly, if my downloads are 100%, but the game seems to be functioning well. All the bells & whisles are there & and the graphics are what I observed in YT videos. So, I'm happy.

Thanks guys, good hunting,

MN