Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-06-08, 02:01 PM   #1
Sea Demon
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0
Default Any word from Sonalysts???

Neal (or any other who might know),

Has anybody heard any words at all from the people at Sonalysts? It seems as though they have totally disappeared. Completely. Even at their own website forum. I have asked questions directly there and the silence is deafening. As I've enjoyed every sim SCS has created, and was initially drawn to Subsim by playing their naval games, I was hoping that SCS might produce something more in the future. Any plans? Any news? Any contact with them at all?
Sea Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-08, 10:27 AM   #2
Konovalov
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

I loved Sub Command. It would be a shame for the naval sim community if they never produce anything again.
"In a Christian context, sexuality is traditionally seen as a consequence of the Fall, but for Muslims, it is an anticipation of paradise. So I can say, I think, that I was validly converted to Islam by a teenage French Jewish nudist." Sheikh Abdul-Hakim Murad (Timothy Winter)
Konovalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-08, 12:02 AM   #3
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

No news, they are focusing on their military contracts. The PC segment has not been large enough to compel new game development.
Old 08-10-08, 01:25 PM   #4
GrayOwl
Soundman

Downloads: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens
No news, they are focusing on their military contracts. The PC segment has not been large enough to compel new game development.
688HK/Jane -----> SubCommand ------> Dangerous Waters -------->

Old 08-11-08, 12:13 PM   #5
Linton
Sea Lord

Frying Tiger,a sonalyst employee still drops in from time to time though his recent posts all seem to be in the SH4 forum!!!
He has not made a post regarding sonalysts since last year!
Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-08, 01:39 PM   #6
GrayOwl
Soundman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linton
Frying Tiger,a sonalyst employee still drops in from time to time though his recent posts all seem to be in the SH4 forum!!!
Commons: SA For Games - Dead... This Is True.
Old 08-13-08, 01:56 PM   #7
GrayOwl
Soundman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linton

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Old 08-18-08, 12:09 AM   #8
Sea Demon
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 33

Thanks Neal and all others who responded. This is rather depressing really. With this is mind, just who out there is going to develop modern naval sims for us to enjoy on the commercial market? I don't see anybody else filling this role. Do you?UBIsoft? EA in conjunction with some gaming studio? Can we talk to those who make some of these modern flight sims into looking at modern naval sims as a potential development line? Should we start a petition to Sonalysts themselves to reconsider?

Sorry to the WW2 subsimmers, but without modern naval simming, things could get pretty dry in the naval sims sector. I think a good mix of WW2 style subsims and modern naval stuff is what keeps naval simming so intriguing. I happen to play and enjoy both. I'm still playing and enjoying DW but we're about a little less than a half year away from 2009. Oh well..........................
Sea Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-08, 06:09 PM   #9
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

Downloads: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Demon
Thanks Neal and all others who responded. This is rather depressing really. With this is mind, just who out there is going to develop modern naval sims for us to enjoy on the commercial market? I don't see anybody else filling this role. Do you?UBIsoft? EA in conjunction with some gaming studio? Can we talk to those who make some of these modern flight sims into looking at modern naval sims as a potential development line? Should we start a petition to Sonalysts themselves to reconsider?

Sorry to the WW2 subsimmers, but without modern naval simming, things could get pretty dry in the naval sims sector. I think a good mix of WW2 style subsims and modern naval stuff is what keeps naval simming so intriguing. I happen to play and enjoy both. I'm still playing and enjoying DW but we're about a little less than a half year away from 2009. Oh well..........................
I know what you mean! Even though we have no modern conflicts to really model a dynamic campaign after, a realistic "what-if" scenario would be good (eg Red Storm Rising). I'm DYING for a truly dynamic campaign with a moden nuclear sub. I'd love to go hunting in my Los Angeles or an Akula class subs! I'd love to be tracking a possible sub contact only to get a message to proceed to a different area to wait for an enemy fleet or something!
Syxx_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-08, 02:19 AM   #10
Hawk66
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Demon
Neal (or any other who might know),

Has anybody heard any words at all from the people at Sonalysts? It seems as though they have totally disappeared. Completely. Even at their own website forum. I have asked questions directly there and the silence is deafening. As I've enjoyed every sim SCS has created, and was initially drawn to Subsim by playing their naval games, I was hoping that SCS might produce something more in the future. Any plans? Any news? Any contact with them at all?
I've recently got the info, that they still 'wait and see'. But I assume, as long as they get enough contracts from the navy/DoD they are not eager to return to the PC market. From the company's perspective I can fully understand this (benefit).

Probably it would work if the codeline between the commercial and the government version is nearly the same (only add ons etc. like in Harpoon and Steel Panthers).

And I do not think that other vendors will produce a naval sim in the foreseeable future. You just have to compare the number of threads between DW and Silent Hunter....

I think an open source naval/subsim is the only alternative...
Hawk66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-08, 02:32 PM   #11
Linton
Sea Lord

I believe that any future sim will come from a gaming company.Only a hardcore of players will buy a sim because they like the sim engine and the realism.The majority of purchasers want eye candy and that means really good graphics.This DW did not have and by suppressing any mods of the visual models this will never be achieved.
The promised expansion packs and campaigns never appeared.I wonder if they were ever made or were they just some pipe dream at Sonalysts.for versatility I believe that SC will never be bettered,and that is because we made it what it is!
Old 08-22-08, 04:18 PM   #12
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Well, that is just it: Hardcore simulation is a niche market. To echo what Neal has said, Sonalysts is a company, and like any company, it exists to serve a bottom line. The government contracts were far more lucrative than the PC market, so Sonalysts moved to where the money is. I agree that it is a shame for us. Looks like I'll be taking extra special care of those DW disks so that the sim may serve me for many years to come.

Of course, if the interest was strong enough, and I mean really strong enough, the community could make it's own. If it could happen anywhere, it would be SubSim.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 03:11 PM   #13
Linton
Sea Lord

It would have been nice for Frying Tiger to have actually have posted a comment about this as he is a Sonalyst employee.I am trying to remember who the forum member was that used to post a lot on here but then left Sonalysts about the time DW appeared.Does he still visit?
Old 08-26-08, 08:27 AM   #14
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Well if this abandoning the PC gaming market would at least open the doors from the modding community with Sonalyst's agreement, that would be great. I wish they could have some talented guys sign an NDA and hand them the code over to improve the game and let people add controllable platforms.

Or at least, give officially permission to add new playable units :hmm:

The game is nowadays old enough (Visually speaking) to make it be no competition for any future product they could develop. Just look at SH2 now....would someone say that ANY mod of it could detract sales from SH3/4 or a future SH5? Obviously not.....
Old 08-26-08, 11:55 AM   #15
Hawk66
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
Well if this abandoning the PC gaming market would at least open the doors from the modding community with Sonalyst's agreement, that would be great. I wish they could have some talented guys sign an NDA and hand them the code over to improve the game and let people add controllable platforms.

Or at least, give officially permission to add new playable units :hmm:

The game is nowadays old enough (Visually speaking) to make it be no competition for any future product they could develop. Just look at SH2 now....would someone say that ANY mod of it could detract sales from SH3/4 or a future SH5? Obviously not.....
You have to keep in mind that they use the core (naval sim engine) in their government projects also (at least to my knowlege)...so they cannot release the source code etc.
Hawk66 is offline   Reply With Quote