Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-22-12, 01:21 PM   #61
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstriker View Post
this limit is good for as has been said IT takes money to run this site. if what Neal says is true it takes about $7800 a year to maintain this site.

i don't like the per download suggestion maybe a subscription system like X amount of dollars a month gets you Y amount of downloads a day/week.

I don't like the download limits either, and I apologize but they have to be there or the site won't stay up/will cost a lot more to run. As it is, we are using one full server and an additional backup, and yes, that does cost about $560 a month, plus tech fees.

I will look into desertstriker's idea, that may be a better system. That way at least, the people helping keep the sit up will have better access.

Neal
Old 09-22-12, 02:43 PM   #62
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 998
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Wingerter View Post
I have NO PROBLEMS with the download restriction. I am not a molder, I need the mod maker(great bunch of guys) files to play the game the way Ubisoft should had. Every file I download I save. I still have file I downloaded for SH 1 and 2(haven't played in years). It must be a nightmare for Neal to make sure he has enough money to pay the fee to keep up the board. My hat is off to Neal I will live with the restriction. I will keep donating to Neal to keep this great board going.
desertstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-12, 09:09 AM   #63
darkgiver
Nub

Downloads: 16

Would be awesome if someone who downloaded all Sober mega mod files post the pack in one file...
darkgiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-12, 11:25 AM   #64
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgiver View Post
Would be awesome if someone who downloaded all Sober mega mod files post the pack in one file...

once again anyone can do this at any time so now that you brought it up maybe someone who has all the files will do it.
Old 09-24-12, 11:52 AM   #65
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
once again anyone can do this at any time so now that you brought it up maybe someone who has all the files will do it.
I can... But something stopping me. Same as something stopping sober.

Can't say for others, for me - just feels wrong. Towards the modders, who trying hard to improve the game, towards users, who spent time to download and arrange mods, towards Neil and moderators of this site... Hard to explain. It feels like it is not my place or right to take someone elses work and the way they placed their downloads (whether via subsim or other sources - most of the mods on the sober's list are downloadable from "off-site" sources btw).

Simply said: I don't feel that it is any of my right to take someone elses work and, without doing any of work myself (creating a Mega-Mod woud be considered doing something), just putting things up for easy download.

This is just my stance on things. Even though it sounds vague and silly, but this moral part is very important to me and that is the reason why I don't put the entire sober's mod list in one big file for download.

Why do I post this? Just to show that people have reasons for doing or not doing something. Nothing against you, necesseraly. Maybe even silly reasons.

but, imo, people's opinion and reasons matter. Especially on this free forum. And if you feel there is need to have one large chunk of file where all mods are combined - go ahead and do it yourself and put it out for others to use.
But I think it's unfair and hypocritical to expect someone else to do it for YOUR benefit and forget about it as soon as you have all you need.

Hope I didn't offend anyone
Targor Avelany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-12, 12:31 PM   #66
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Quote:
If I was a lurker on this forum, I would make a new thread "Sobers Mega Mod - by Lurker1".
List all the mods and ask the owners to shout out if they did not want their mod used.
Give evryone a week or two to reply.
Then release the mod and run away and never write on the thread again.

Otherwise it would be a full time job replying to all the "this mod does not work - what am I doing wrong" posts.

Old 09-24-12, 12:34 PM   #67
flostt
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 86

.....and imagine the amount of time needed trying to keep the mega-mod up to date when a new version of a included mod is released ....

good post there, targor
Old 09-24-12, 02:54 PM   #68
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 998

Quote:
working on it
desertstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-13, 03:55 AM   #69
Berlorian
Swabbie

Downloads: 89
Default limits were a shock

After not playing the game for a long time almost a year.
(was waiting for offline mode to turn up. now it has)
So after reinstalling I noticed my old drive with mods on it was dead.
So I started downloading them again.

But sadly with the limits it took me 15 mins to install game and patches.
now will take about 6 more days of downloading mods at like 5 per day or wateva so ill be able to play the game by about 7-8th of june.
So yes the limits do hurt a little.

(As far as im concerned Ubi should pay to keep this forum up and running plus give the forum mods a little extra change.)

but unfortunately I wont have internet access after day 4 so I might be a little scre*#%.

Also as no internet at home at them moment im hoping I can copy all game files & uplay files and the registry settings from this laptop to my game machine at home and it will hopefuly run in offline mode.

I wish the uplay update was downloadable like V1.1 V1.2 patches were so I don't have to do the above mentioned work.
just install game plus manual updates + mods and play..
Berlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-13, 06:38 AM   #70
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlorian View Post

now will take about 6 more days of downloading mods at like 5 per day or wateva so ill be able to play the game by about 7-8th of june.

(As far as im concerned Ubi should pay to keep this forum up and running plus give the forum mods a little extra change.)

but unfortunately I wont have internet access after day 4 so I might be a little scre*#%.

Also as no internet at home at them moment im hoping I can copy all game files & uplay files and the registry settings from this laptop to my game machine at home and it will hopefuly run in offline mode.

I wish the uplay update was downloadable like V1.1 V1.2 patches were so I don't have to do the above mentioned work.
just install game plus manual updates + mods and play..
You could just kick in five bucks (the price of a Venti Caramel Mocha Latte at S'bux) and download 25 mods a day. Then you'd be done in 2 days. Or kick in $10 (dinner for 2 at Mickey D's) and get them all in one day. And have those download privileges for a year, along access to some other good stuff. AND help out SubSim, which you and I both know Ubi ain't gonna do any time soon.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-13, 06:59 AM   #71
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlorian View Post

If I took money from Ubi or any other developer, they would want to have a say in the running of the forum (which is fair). I prefer to remain independent and rely on the good will of the Subsim members to keep this website going.
Old 06-01-13, 09:46 AM   #72
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
If I took money from Ubi or any other developer, they would want to have a say in the running of the forum (which is fair). I prefer to remain independent and rely on the good will of the Subsim members to keep this website going.
Fair point, Neal. Russian proverb: You eat my bread, you sing my song.
Old 06-01-13, 10:10 PM   #73
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targor Avelany View Post
I can... But something stopping me. Same as something stopping sober.
if you don't try you can never do anything

no way can every modder on that list be denying permission

I myself spent 2 months getting permissions from lots of modders to use their work in a combined work, some whole and some were combined or merged with other files. it takes time and commitment to ask for permissions and wait for replies, then do it again if mods cant be used whole.

I did this because no one else felt like it could be done so no one tried. I had time on my hands so I tried and with only a small handful of about 4 or 5 mods that I wasn't allowed to use I managed to create a mod that still combined or merged something like 20+ mods together giving all the modders proper credit for their work.

the hardest thing about doing a big mod is finding the time to do it but the second hardest thing is to stop finding excuses why you cant do it and just try.

whats the worst that could happen? maybe you reduce the number of mods that have to be downloaded and installed separately to half of what it is now. isn't that still a success?

im not calling you or anyone out im just saying its easy to find reasons or excuses not to do something but all it takes is for someone to try.
Old 06-04-13, 05:50 AM   #74
Frank Ravelli
Sailor man

Downloads: 83
Uploads: 1

Well i have to say that it took a whole week to download all the mods in sober´s list, even if googling outside subsim. If it waqsn´t for the mods found somewhere else it would have probably taken about a month. That´s a pity, in my opinion. I dont think it should be necessary to force the users to donate or post in subsim in order to get the desired mods. I am also a user of skyrim mods and the skyrim nexus is a paradise of modding. And a great example of how to present and manage a mod site. Because, after all the restrictions imposed here at subsim, the system is quite bad when searching for files, posts, info, etc.
Anyway, the mods are there to be downloaded in the end, if you are patient enough. And the work of the modders here is just amazing!!
Frank Ravelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-13, 06:24 AM   #75
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

If you have any idea how the other sites you mentioned are funded, you ought to post it to Neal Stevens. SubSim depends on those donations to pay the bills. Everyone would love it if this were a completely free site and all costs could be met through indirect means - advertising, commissions, whatever. If you know a way to do that (one that will WORK), please share it!

As for the searches, perhaps you would be willing to donate some of your time to improving what we have?

Last edited by BigWalleye; 06-04-13 at 07:07 AM.