SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-16-19, 11:46 AM   #2446
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Funny you should say that because tonight I'm having a ham salad accompanied with chips/fries and lashings of Heinz salad cream.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-19, 04:26 PM   #2447
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
I'm currently on a mix of Paracetamol and Ibuprfen until early evening when the Nelsons blood takes over.
That teach you lifting a pint without due care and attention.

PS..Only joking, get well jim. I take it it's the back gone.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-19, 07:39 PM   #2448
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Funny you should say that because tonight I'm having a ham salad accompanied with chips/fries and lashings of Heinz salad cream.
well, I rototilled 8 fifty lb sacks of new soil and discovered a trove of unharvested carrots in one of the planter boxes;
now kicking back with a vodka gimlet watching the Giants ballgame prepartory to grilling marinated (tomato-basil)turkey breasts served with fresh carrots...I'm trying to talk the boss into making carrot cake!!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-19, 06:32 AM   #2449
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
That teach you lifting a pint without due care and attention.

PS..Only joking, get well jim. I take it it's the back gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
well, I rototilled 8 fifty lb sacks of new soil and discovered a trove of unharvested carrots in one of the planter boxes;
now kicking back with a vodka gimlet watching the Giants ballgame prepartory to grilling marinated (tomato-basil)turkey breasts served with fresh carrots...I'm trying to talk the boss into making carrot cake!!
You just couldn't make this up, Davey (the decorator) turned up earlier and announced he's been off work for the past month suffering from sciatica and was clearly hobbling as he entered the hose.

My decorating job is his first since returning to work and the moans and groans I can hear upstairs as he hangs the wallpaper are slightly concerning yet funny at the same time

Old 04-17-19, 06:40 AM   #2450
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
You just couldn't make this up, Davey (the decorator) turned up earlier and announced he's been off work for the past month suffering from sciatica and was clearly hobbling as he entered the hose.

My decorating job is his first since returning to work and the moans and groans I can hear upstairs as he hangs the wallpaper are slightly concerning yet funny at the same time
Sounds like he went back to work to soon, I suspect he's his own boss so to him time is money. Once you damage your sciatica nerve you are never the same again. I should know I suffer it and its worst that normal back pain.

I'm taking a break after five months straight at work. Not due back until next Tuesday and it looks like outside summer has landed.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 04-17-19, 06:52 AM   #2451
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Today, I'm recovering, since yesterday I had an extraordinarily beautiful and exhausting bicycle tour, amongst other highlights the so-called "Cherry-Blossoming Tour" at the small town of Hagen a.T.W. (not the bigger city of the same name in the Ruhr area). Extremely harsh climbings could not make you failing to be stunned by the beautiful sights and most idyllic places and romantic routes you stumble over time and again if you explore the area. Today, my legs are heavy and I am done, but it was worth it. Ten hours on the saddle, no longer breaks, just short stops to do some video shooting here or there, additional to the bike cam. Did I mention the steep climbs? Unfortunately, this secondary footage for the most went wrong. Too bad. Oh, the many steep climbs everywhwere. without an ebike I would feel lost, and even with engine it was very tiring because it was so long a tour. I drank like a horse, almost five litres.

Hagen is a centre of cherry seed preservation, a so-called gene ark. They have almost 300 different cherry types in the area and a storage base for the genetic material and seeds. Every second house in the town at least seems to have cherry trees. Unfortunately they all have white blossoms only - I saw not a single rose-coloured, not one. That was a bit dissapointing, I had expected some more sensation, I admit, since they acively advertise with their cherry thing. Also, most trees are very small only. So, while they are nice, the cherry trees alone are no reason to tour there, but the general sights of the area, the idyllic landscape in general is absolutely worth it. But you need to know the small, hidden routes for getting the best of it. Then it is like vacation in the deepest rural area of Bavaria. Beautiful.

A certain part of the most idyllic place already is named like it: "Himmelreich", Kingdom of Heaven.

It was my 30th or more tour into that place since last year, and although it is a relatively small area, I still am able to discover some routes and places I have not seen before although i spend hours and hours there.

150 km, climbs of over 15%. The joy came at a price.

First time ever I killed both batteries down to zero not for calibration, but in normal operation. The last 4 kilometer home I drove totally dry. Of course, the wind had changed and I had it in my face (again). On a bike weighing 33kg with all stuff loaded. I do not recommend you to repeat that.

Last edited by Skybird; 04-17-19 at 07:09 AM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-19, 07:22 AM   #2452
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Today, I'm recovering, since yesterday I had an extraordinarily beautiful and exhausting bicycle tour, amongst other highlights the so-called "Cherry-Blossoming Tour" at the small town of Hagen a.T.W. (not the bigger city of the same name in the Ruhr area). Extremely harsh climbings could not make you failing to be stunned by the beautiful sights and most idyllic places and romantic routes you stumble over time and again if you explore the area. Today, my legs are heavy and I am done, but it was worth it. Ten hours on the saddle, no longer breaks, just short stops to do some video shooting here or there, additional to the bike cam. Did I mention the steep climbs? Unfortunately, this secondary footage for the most went wrong. Too bad. Oh, the many steep climbs everywhwere. without an ebike I would feel lost, and even with engine it was very tiring because it was so long a tour. I drank like a horse, almost five litres.

Hagen is a centre of cherry seed preservation, a so-called gene ark. They have almost 300 different cherry types in the area and a storage base for the genetic material and seeds. Every second house in the town at least seems to have cherry trees. Unfortunately they all have white blossoms only - I saw not a single rose-coloured, not one. That was a bit dissapointing, I had expected some more sensation, I admit, since they acively advertise with their cherry thing. Also, most trees are very small only. So, while they are nice, the cherry trees alone are no reason to tour there, but the general sights of the area, the idyllic landscape in general is absolutely worth it. But you need to know the small, hidden routes for getting the best of it. Then it is like vacation in the deepest rural area of Bavaria. Beautiful.

A certain part of the most idyllic place already is named like it: "Himmelreich", Kingdom of Heaven.

It was my 30th or more tour into that place since last year, and although it is a relatively small area, I still am able to discover some routes and places I have not seen before although i spend hours and hours there.

150 km, climbs of over 15%. The joy came at a price.

First time ever I killed both batteries down to zero not for calibration, but in normal operation. The last 4 kilometer home I drove totally dry. Of course, the wind had changed and I had it in my face (again). On a bike weighing 33kg with all stuff loaded. I do not recommend you to repeat that.

Sounds like a great place for a slow motorcycle ride / tour. Subsim member, Shroeder has talked about riding about the German country side on his motorcycle as well. With the spring here, It seems like a great way to spend the day.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-19, 07:27 AM   #2453
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Sounds like he went back to work to soon, I suspect he's his own boss so to him time is money.
Correctamundo

Old 04-17-19, 02:04 PM   #2454
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

I've been plagued by sciatica for the past fortnight, then this afternoon I swallowed a couple of paracetamol and necked a bottle of "Old Crafty Hen".... and the pain just melted away. 4 hours since and I've still not got so much as a twinge, and it had been proper painful

This will be my treatment of choice from now on
Old 04-17-19, 02:09 PM   #2455
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
Sounds like a great place for a slow motorcycle ride / tour. Subsim member, Shroeder has talked about riding about the German country side on his motorcycle as well. With the spring here, It seems like a great way to spend the day.
Actually the Holperdorptal is part of he area I speak of, and that includes also the street between Bad Iburg and Lienen. The socalled Lienen serpentines are a motorcyclist meeting point, I see columns of bikes there quite often, also race bicycles and mountain bicycler whose drivers train there heavy breathing , but no ordinary cyclists. The serpentines cross the hills of the Teutoburger forust in North-Wetsern direction, and dping that trip on bike in southern direction equals attempted slaughter. I have an speed advanatge over motorbikes, since they drive 50-70 km/h and I just 20-25, I can enjoy the journey three times as long as they can only. The serpentines are in a forest area with little outlooks over the countryside, however.

From North to south, starting in Bad Iburg already

From south the North

And this trecking video shows some of the outlooks into the landscape. Quick-click the video for finding the sequences interesting if you do not want to watch the whole video, he ahs some good material. Its also in the area, and representative for what I talked of earlier.

The place he is walking in is on the southern rim of the area talked about. "Malepartus" that he also mentions, is an original Bavarian style restaurant whrre you get only typical Bavarian "Brotzeiten" and typical Bavarian food, nothing else. And very big and very good cream puffs with ice fillings. "Malepartus" is a Bavarian word, or name, for "fox".

Recommended time stamps: Beginning, 07:20

Last edited by Skybird; 04-17-19 at 02:24 PM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-19, 07:59 AM   #2456
STEED
Lucky Jack

Did my weekly shopping then a spot of weeding followed by giving the grass a second cut and now cooking fish for lunch. And now the weather report - Dry with a gentle breeze sunny and warm.

Old 04-18-19, 10:02 AM   #2457
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Did my weekly shopping then a spot of weeding followed by giving the grass a second cut and now cooking fish for lunch. And now the weather report - Dry with a gentle breeze sunny and warm.
How much do you pay for lemons and limes in your area?

To go with your fish ... I'm paying one dollar each for lemons and 50 cents each for small limes.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-19, 04:03 PM   #2458
Torvald Von Mansee
Sea Lord

Downloads: 3

I think the only answer I will ever be able to truthfully say is "Posting in this thread."
Old 04-20-19, 09:01 AM   #2459
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
How much do you pay for lemons and limes in your area?

To go with your fish ... I'm paying one dollar each for lemons and 50 cents each for small limes.
None, I like my fish natural not even salt or pepper.

Too hot here to bother doing a anything that can wait. Probably give my hair a trim before Tuesday.

Old 04-21-19, 06:19 AM   #2460
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Summer must be fast approaching because the wife has instructed me to dust off the gas BBQ and take the garden furniture cushions out of storage in the garage.