SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: Poll closed
option 0 0%
option 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-10, 06:15 PM   #241
Major Johnson
Frogman

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0

Well, a final report on the game using GFO. These findings may or may not be GFO related but they are definite fixes that need to be addressed at some point, if possible.

Still way too many planes where they shouldn't be, meaning too far from land and no aircraft carriers in the area. There appears to be a zone, just west of the Bonin Is. In my patrol zones the planes were practically non-existent, then when I was trying to get home, that's where some major problems popped up, which one of was too many planes spawning from one direction, then like an hour (game time) from the other direction. That's just plain ridiculous. I just ignored them as they never saw me anyway, but the constant radar reporting on the same contact and dropping me out of tc just totally took me out of the game.

Another thing was way too many sub hunting task forces, especially along the same route going back to PH. Just west of the Bonin Is. If it wasn't planes, it was a task force. And once again, the constant radar reports on the same targets. I tried turning the radar off from the radar station and the menu bar, but it kept turning itself on! Who's in charge here anyway??

And the same thing when I got in friendly waters, constant air and ship contacts, taking me out of tc every few seconds!! That's a real deal killer for me. Do we really need constant radar contacts of friendly forces?? I don't think so. You want to tell me once, ok, but once is enough. It was a nightmare just trying to get close enough to the base so the icon would show up for me to end the patrol.

And my previous findings of the hydrophones not working manually in the Tambor and Gato. That really should be looked into as well.

Time for some shore leave!

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
AMD FX8350 8 Core 4.0 Ghz CPU
GeForce GTX 560 Ti PCIx Video Card
8 GB Corsair Vengence RAM
Rosewill 850W Power Supply
Major Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-10, 07:09 PM   #242
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Johnson View Post
Well, a final report on the game using GFO. These findings may or may not be GFO related but they are definite fixes that need to be addressed at some point, if possible.

Still way too many planes where they shouldn't be, meaning too far from land and no aircraft carriers in the area. There appears to be a zone, just west of the Bonin Is. In my patrol zones the planes were practically non-existent, then when I was trying to get home, that's where some major problems popped up, which one of was too many planes spawning from one direction, then like an hour (game time) from the other direction. That's just plain ridiculous. I just ignored them as they never saw me anyway, but the constant radar reporting on the same contact and dropping me out of tc just totally took me out of the game.

Another thing was way too many sub hunting task forces, especially along the same route going back to PH. Just west of the Bonin Is. If it wasn't planes, it was a task force. And once again, the constant radar reports on the same targets. I tried turning the radar off from the radar station and the menu bar, but it kept turning itself on! Who's in charge here anyway??

And the same thing when I got in friendly waters, constant air and ship contacts, taking me out of tc every few seconds!! That's a real deal killer for me. Do we really need constant radar contacts of friendly forces?? I don't think so. You want to tell me once, ok, but once is enough. It was a nightmare just trying to get close enough to the base so the icon would show up for me to end the patrol.

And my previous findings of the hydrophones not working manually in the Tambor and Gato. That really should be looked into as well.

Time for some shore leave!
You may feel there are too many planes as a lot of people do. But your 'facts' are incorrect. The area you mention is within range of long range bombers. And if the planes were from a carrier, it would probably be too far away for you to even realize it was there. A carrier could come within 30 miles of you and you wouldn't even know it, and the planes definitely have a longer range than that.

So there may be too many planes but not for the reasons you give. And another thing you need to take into consideration is TC. If you are using TC then the planes could be coming one every 5 hours and it would seem to you that there were a million of them.

And I also agree in 'stock' there were a LOT of 2 and 3 ship DDs patrolling the area. I don't know if Game fixes address that since it is not a 'bug', it was written that way. I know it started out fixing mistakes and has evolved into more than that, but that was the original intent.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-10, 11:42 PM   #243
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

Any intersection with reality by the stock campaign is accident as far as I can tell.
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-10, 09:15 AM   #244
Major Johnson
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody View Post
And another thing you need to take into consideration is TC. If you are using TC then the planes could be coming one every 5 hours and it would seem to you that there were a million of them.Peabody
That's my point, I don't have a chance to get to a high time compression because the planes come in that often that I can't get past 64x compression which is approx one minute every second.

And ok, maybe my reasoning may be incorrect, I guess there could have been one carrier out there sending out patrols every few minutes. That still doesn't change it the fact there's too many planes in certain areas.

Old 07-31-10, 09:26 AM   #245
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

The stock campaign has a few broken parts.

The trouble is "scripted" missions in the campaign--ie: MIdway, etc.

When "random" ships are used (they can still be exact ships and times---RSRDC does this) there is no problem. In "scripted" missions, any CV airgroups exist EVEN IF THE CV IS NOT ON THE MAP.

Ie: Midway battle is not for 2 months, but guess what, all the air groups ARE there, in the middle of the ocean with no CVs.

All the stock scripted missions in the campaign do this. All of them.

Use RSRDC.
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-10, 10:40 AM   #246
Major Johnson
Frogman

Right now I'm testing out FOTRS. There are some visual aspects I'm really liking so far. But I plan on giving RSRDC a try as well. Thanks.

Old 10-29-10, 02:26 PM   #247
MaddogK
XO

Downloads: 15

Ahoy all,
I need to remove SCAF from GFO 1.1 so I can continue my RSRDC v550. Any ideas ?
My sub CTD's ONLY just west of Midway 1 jun 42, and CTD's stop when GFO is removed.

MaddogK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-10, 03:40 PM   #248
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddogK View Post
Ahoy all,
I need to remove SCAF from GFO 1.1 so I can continue my RSRDC v550. Any ideas ?
My sub CTD's ONLY just west of Midway 1 jun 42, and CTD's stop when GFO is removed.
From RSRDC thread:
Quote:
WEIRD- I'm getting the same problem, in fact I don't even have to move- I sit in same spot that I spawn into and 2 minutes later I CTD.

I have SHIV 1.5 -w- RSRDC V550, GFO 1.1.7, GFO convoy route fix, and GFO Patch for RSRDC v401. nothing else installed, and nothings changed since I starting running this config 2 weeks ago- CTD's started last night and ONLY around Midway (1Jun42).
i did not make the GFO convoy route fix so i do not know if it has any issues with other mods

i made sure that the only parts of SCAF that were used for GFO would only change the ships cfg files data such as ship lengths and heights so there should be nothing there to conflict with any other mods.

what you describe is usually the result of the game calling for a ship to spawn that isnt found in the game so it does a CTD when it cant spawn it.

try removing the convoy fix and see if that is whats causing it, if not try the mod soup fix to eliminate that as a cause.

after all this time with so many using GFO without reporting this CTD i must think there is more to it then GFO or the minor changes i added from SCAF but if you really need to remove SCAF from GFO then you must open the "Sea" folder found in GFO and open every ship folder then delete the cfg file found there, that is all there is of SCAF that is in GFO.
Old 10-29-10, 06:59 PM   #249
MaddogK
XO

I think I mis-stated the name of the mod, it was mentioned in the GFO docs, 'Tambor's stock 1.5 mission pack'
Sorry for the confusion.

As I look at the folders RSRDC overwrites about a dozen CFG's (I think RSRDC includes a few SCAF'esk fixed ships) and by eliminating the ones I'm sure arent spawing 20 miles west of Midway I'm thinking it's got to be american (a/c or DD's).

Old 10-29-10, 07:50 PM   #250
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
I think I mis-stated the name of the mod, it was mentioned in the GFO docs, 'Tambor's stock 1.5 mission pack'
Sorry for the confusion.

As I look at the folders RSRDC overwrites about a dozen CFG's (I think RSRDC includes a few SCAF'esk fixed ships) and by eliminating the ones I'm sure arent spawing 20 miles west of Midway I'm thinking it's got to be american (a/c or DD's).

ah, ok

just to clarify the issue you are having here, this is in during a campaign and not a single mission or patrol correct?
Old 10-29-10, 08:00 PM   #251
MaddogK
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
ah, ok

just to clarify the issue you are having here, this is in during a campaign and not a single mission or patrol correct?
Correct- Campaign. Been running flawlessly for last 2 weeks until I refuelled at midway and headed west to intercept Kondo's TF 1 jun 42. Campaign works fine if GFO is removed (resuming from same spot/time as previous CTD). I read about someone else having a CTD in the same spot/time that had SCAF installed and their issue was solved when they removed SCAF, I felt both our issues may be related.

Old 10-31-10, 11:03 AM   #252
MaddogK
XO

Ahoy Webster,
Been reading the 'other' thread where you were commenting about my use of an earlier version of RSRDC, so let me set you straight- I'm runnng SHIV V 1.15 (U-boat updated).
I'm new to this game and never run any version of RSRDC prior to v 550
My first D/L of any kind for SHIV was GFO 1.1
I'm running a bare minimum of installed mods, which leads me to my next question:
Should I be using the GFO patch v401 on RSRDC v550 ?
<edit> never mind- found answer in post 214.
BTW- the 'mod-soup' solution didn't fix my CTD issue at the Midway save point, I resumed career at a save point before I went into Midway, and avoided going there and all is right with the game.

My mod install order is:
GFO 1.1 (Tambors stock v1.5 mission pack integrated in)
RSRDC_SH15_v550
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
GFO Patch for RSRDC (the ver 401 patch)
Mads_dropdown_map (Capt Cox's Gramophone mod V1.3 rev A for SHIV 1.14 modified by me for SHIV 1.15)
RSRDC Map (My RSRDC convoy route chart)
USS Thresher SS-200 (Capt Cox's skin for Tambor)

Last edited by MaddogK; 10-31-10 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-31-10, 04:16 PM   #253
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Correct- Campaign. Been running flawlessly for last 2 weeks until I refuelled at midway and headed west to intercept Kondo's TF 1 jun 42. Campaign works fine if GFO is removed (resuming from same spot/time as previous CTD). I read about someone else having a CTD in the same spot/time that had SCAF installed and their issue was solved when they removed SCAF, I felt both our issues may be related.

your reasoning does sound logical but it doest make a lot of sense to me that a height or length value in a cfg file should cause CTD

EDIT: i suggest if anyone else finds this issue they should use the auto save leaving base save and see if that corrects the problem, otherwise just avoid the midway battle

Last edited by Webster; 11-04-10 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-17-11, 07:24 PM   #254
stephenf555
Watch

Downloads: 49

Hi folks,
Anyone have a link or could upload RSRDC v401? I'm currently trying the GFO (thanks webster for all your mods) with RSRD and have a problem with sonar.

I load up the submarine school torpedo tutorial and the ship chugs along fine. With GFO "alone" I can hear him fine, green light turns on at the right bearing, screws heard. Once I add RSRDC and reload the tutorial then I can't hear him any longer though he is still chugging away. If I move the sub I can hear my own props at 180 deg, but nothing on ships bearing (and have tested from far away to right up next to the target).

MODS list in each case as below, and installation order is as instructed by webster at the start of this thread.

I tried the SonarTargetFix (though I think it's in GFO already IIRC) but no change.

So I want to see if RSRD v401 works as this is what was originally specified, so if someone had a link that would be great.

Thanks, Stephenf555

Mods as below (ignore what's in the signature at the bottom)
GFO "alone" (can hear ship on sonar):
GFO v1.1
New Orders Bar Menu
#1 Real Environment Mod
GFO patch for Real Env

GFO & RSRDC (can't hear ship on sonar):
as above +
RSRDC_v550
RSRDC_v5xx_Patch1
GFO Patch for RSRDC

Last edited by stephenf555; 02-18-11 at 07:02 AM.
stephenf555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 06:11 PM   #255
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

for you or anyone else needing the older version of RSRDC v401 i uploaded it for you at my filefront/gamefront page as a resource only and take no reponsability for the use of this older outdated and unsupported version of RSRDC

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20019...C_SH15_V401_7z