SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-29-08, 02:32 PM   #31
Frank0001
Chief

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0

Agreed with the majority. Sinking (or even shooting at) hospital ships is immoral. (not to mention how 'moralistic' the war itself is...)
For those saying it diminishes enemy morale:

It doesn't help at all. The only thing you'll end up with, is an angry enemie, who is willing to fight even harder at 'those hartless swines of the Kriegsmarine'.
Hospital ships aren't military targets, or have military value. Sinking one would be nothing more than an act of inhumanity, I doubt even Hitler would be proud of such things.
Old 05-29-08, 03:38 PM   #32
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Sh-3 was not sold as a Morals Instructor.

It was sold as a GAME.

No rights, no wrongs Just a game.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 04:22 PM   #33
Tombow
Watch

Downloads: 0

Another sidenote:

In the Battle of Tsu-Shima the position of the russian fleet was given away by an "auxillary cruiser" (apparently a hospital ship) trailing the main fleet and travelling in the dusk with lights on. Admiral Togo's forces didn't bother with engaging it, instead they just appreciated the information and set a course for crossing the russian main fleet's T. Engaging that poor "auxillary cruiser" wouldn't have helped them at all.
Tombow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-08, 06:45 AM   #34
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED
Who gives a toss. Sink the swine I say.
Second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterIXC
what a waste of beautifull nurses...
Second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn2721
yes, I have been tempted a few times. They are like the "carp" of the sea...nice and big, but nothing you wanna take home and cook.
.......................................second....
Stealth Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-08, 06:48 AM   #35
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

I've sunk many hospital ships in my career... but that's only because I wanted to.

Renown is so high that it barely affected my career status.

Here's a few screenshots of the first hospital ship I ever sent to the deep:

Ship sank in 13 minutes. Surprisingly for a hospital ship, she went down nice and clean (I usually hit a medical supplies area that causes a huge explosion or totally destroys the vessel in seconds.
Old 05-31-08, 07:34 AM   #36
Bismarck
Medic

Downloads: 0

Poor Fraulein Jessica Smith, she had a huge pair of knockers.
But they could be carrying war supplies...

hosted.filefront.com/jpanzerj
Bismarck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-08, 08:42 PM   #37
rifleman13
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Hunter
Ship sank in 13 minutes. Surprisingly for a hospital ship, she went down nice and clean (I usually hit a medical supplies area that causes a huge explosion or totally destroys the vessel in seconds.
Explosive medical supplies?:hmm:
rifleman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-08, 09:07 PM   #38
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Well, yes. It's actually very accurate.

Some of the things used in medicine are actually very dangerous when stored in high quantities (such as alcohol, compressed air tanks, etc.). If you have a torpedo slam into the storage room for these things, it's not going to be good. That compressed air is not only going to make a hell of a racket, but it's also going to send fragments flying about, and the pure oxygen in it is going to ignite very quickly. Alcohol... well... it pretty much just burns things to a cinder.
Old 05-19-14, 01:37 AM   #39
Hendrik von Trapp
Nub

Downloads: 143

I found a hospital ship and fixed my crosshairs on her. I can't convince myself to sink her. So, I just parked 900m alongside her and watched her sail by. She didn't bother directing her spotlights on me.
Hendrik von Trapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-14, 01:53 AM   #40
Rammstein0991
Engineer

Downloads: 164
SHO

I agree, avoid shooting them at all costs, look at it this way. IF you sink a hospital ship you'd best hope they sink you before the war ends, otherwise your Kaleun will be getting a first class ticket to a charming little place called Nuremburg >.>
Rammstein0991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-14, 03:18 AM   #41
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default WOOPS

Hospital ships were covered under the Hague Convention X of 1907. Article four of the Hague Convention X outlined the restrictions for a hospital ship:
  • Ship must be clearly marked and lighted as a hospital ship
  • The ship should give medical assistance to wounded personnel of all nationalities
  • The ship must not be used for any military purpose
  • The ship must not interfere with or hamper enemy combatant vessels
  • Belligerents, as designated by the Hague Convention, can search any hospital ship to investigate violations of the above restrictions
  • Belligerents will establish the location of a hospital ship
According to the San Remo Manual on International Law Applicable to Armed Conflicts at Sea, a hospital ship violating legal restrictions must be duly warned and given a reasonable time limit to comply. If a hospital ship persists in violating restrictions, a belligerent is legally entitled to capture it or take other means to enforce compliance. A non-complying hospital ship may only be fired on under the following conditions:
  • Diversion or capture is not feasible
  • No other method to exercise control is available
  • The violations are grave enough to allow the ship to be classified as a military objective
  • The damage and casualties will not be disproportionate to the military advantage.
In all other circumstances, attacking a hospital ship is a war crime.
Modern hospital ships display large Red Crosses or Red Crescents to signify their Geneva convention protection under the laws of war. Even so, marked vessels have not been completely free from attack. Notable examples of hospital ships deliberately attacked during wartime are HMHS Llandovery Castle in 1915, the Armenia in 1941 and AHS Centaur in 1943. 23 hospital ships were sunk in WWII: complete lists with photos: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hospital_ships_sunk_in_World_War_II And oddly enough...23 hospital ships were also sunk in WWI http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hospital_ships_sunk_in_World_War_I So much for the rules of war! In both wars war crimes trial were held and the Japanese commander who sank the Australian hospital ship Centaur received 8 years. Mitigating consideration was given to whether the ship was properly marked and that Japanese hospital ships had been similarly attacked. BOTTOM LINE: based on real life: SINK "EM ALL!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-14, 04:01 AM   #42
Rammstein0991
Engineer

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Hospital ships were covered under the Hague Convention X of 1907. Article four of the Hague Convention X outlined the restrictions for a hospital ship:
  • Ship must be clearly marked and lighted as a hospital ship
  • The ship should give medical assistance to wounded personnel of all nationalities
  • The ship must not be used for any military purpose
  • The ship must not interfere with or hamper enemy combatant vessels
  • Belligerents, as designated by the Hague Convention, can search any hospital ship to investigate violations of the above restrictions
  • Belligerents will establish the location of a hospital ship
According to the San Remo Manual on International Law Applicable to Armed Conflicts at Sea, a hospital ship violating legal restrictions must be duly warned and given a reasonable time limit to comply. If a hospital ship persists in violating restrictions, a belligerent is legally entitled to capture it or take other means to enforce compliance. A non-complying hospital ship may only be fired on under the following conditions:
  • Diversion or capture is not feasible
  • No other method to exercise control is available
  • The violations are grave enough to allow the ship to be classified as a military objective
  • The damage and casualties will not be disproportionate to the military advantage.
In all other circumstances, attacking a hospital ship is a war crime.
Modern hospital ships display large Red Crosses or Red Crescents to signify their Geneva convention protection under the laws of war. Even so, marked vessels have not been completely free from attack. Notable examples of hospital ships deliberately attacked during wartime are HMHS Llandovery Castle in 1915, the Armenia in 1941 and AHS Centaur in 1943. 23 hospital ships were sunk in WWII: complete lists with photos: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hospital_ships_sunk_in_World_War_II And oddly enough...23 hospital ships were also sunk in WWI http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hospital_ships_sunk_in_World_War_I So much for the rules of war! In both wars war crimes trial were held and the Japanese commander who sank the Australian hospital ship Centaur received 8 years. Mitigating consideration was given to whether the ship was properly marked and that Japanese hospital ships had been similarly attacked. BOTTOM LINE: based on real life: SINK "EM ALL!
Yep, like I said, sink a Hospital and enjoy that trip to Nuremburg
Old 05-19-14, 04:55 AM   #43
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Kudos for the necro! I had to read the thread to see if I had ever sunk one! I don't remember!

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-14, 04:59 AM   #44
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik von Trapp View Post
I found a hospital ship and fixed my crosshairs on her. I can't convince myself to sink her. So, I just parked 900m alongside her and watched her sail by. She didn't bother directing her spotlights on me.
IRL you'd have been in irons for more than the six years this thread has been dormant had you been found guilty of committing the act.

How about a compromise?

Off to the eastern front

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-14, 05:50 AM   #45
Rammstein0991
Engineer

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
IRL you'd have been in irons for more than the six years this thread has been dormant had you been found guilty of committing the act.

How about a compromise?

Off to the eastern front
Depending on the loss of life I figure hanging would also be a consideration wouldn't it?