SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-25-13, 06:56 AM   #796
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
Increase the suspense by a massive amount during game play by the player not knowing which ship is firing at you unless you can see the muzzle flash
I forgot to mention that by tweaking the TimeToStart property of the TrailParticleGenerator, we can probably simulate delayed tracers thus making attacker's position lesser obvious. However, it is to note that according to Wikipedia, delay element are more typical of "most modern tracers".
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 11:49 AM   #797
keysersoze
Ensign

Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
So do I.
In general, information reported by uboatarchive is directly derived from first hand sources; they even publish their sources, when possible.

The best first hand documents I was able to access from their website so far, are the Cumulative Edition - CB 04051(103) of British Interrogation Reports and, even better, the U-boat Information for U-boat Type VII C, directly issued by Kriegsmarine. They are respectively dated June '44 and July '40, which is also good, because they account for both early and late war specifications, thus complementing each other.
These are great documents. I've read much of the "U-boat Information for U-boat Type VII" document before, but had never seen the British interrogation reports.

Quote:
This should dispel any doubt about the size of M42's magazines

Quote:
Summing up, in our settings I would reduce M42's practical RoF to 60 rpm (maximum) by altering reload times, and I would keep the 5-round clip size. As for the SK C/30, I am tempted to use the same RoF as the 88mm deck gun: 18-20 rpm.
I think these are sensible alterations. I am also beginning to wonder about the SK C/30's rate of fire. From a subjective perspective, I think it would be hard to manually reload such a weapon fast enough to achieve anywhere near 40 rpm.

Quote:
Lastly, please note that nowhere it is said that the new 40-round magazines entered service in Ubootwaffe. 20 rounds is the figure stated by most sources relative to U-boat armaments; I start wondering if we shoudn't revise our settings accordigly though it would suck indeed
Yes, this is also troubling. In fact, many of our sources, such as Skwiot and Mehl, mention the 20 round magazine at least as often as they mention the 40 round magazine. It seems clear to me that both magazines were used at some point in the war, but it is difficult to pinpoint exactly when transitions occurred or the frequency with which different size magazines were employed. It might be that the 20 round magazine stuck around longer than we originally thought

Quote:
Unfortunately, this is the only option left, unless TDW can devise a patch for making the game to use ammo shells availability settings.
I have faith...TDW can do anything

Quote:

Despite the silly background music, quite making it to resemble an ILS-2 video capture (I usually don't disdain trance music, but in other contexts), it is actual wwii footage showing some P-47 Thunderbolt as they are shooting their tracer ammo on enemy targets
Very interesting video, and another good example of historical tracer appearance.

Quote:
I bend toward the propaganda. Right then, film recording cameras had to be a rare item, and I doubt that a "free lance" documentarist could have got so close to Nazi weaponry
That is probably true, although there were many reporters aboard U-boats, such as Lothar-Günther Buchheim in U-96. I don't think he took any videos, but there are hundreds of excellent pictures from the famous "Das Boot patrol." Of course, these guys were not really journalists—they were basically on board the U-boat for propaganda purposes, but that did not stop Buchheim from expressing some strong anti-war views. But at least the pictures or videos they took are footage of the "real" war, not contrived images from training boats in the Baltic made to look like they are on patrol.
keysersoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 01:25 PM   #798
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Unfortunately, this is the only option left, unless TDW can devise a patch for making the game to use ammo shells availability settings.
Game already has this. You just need to assign a different gun to the date in the unit's .cfg file. That gun would have the shells wanted/needed. Obviously you would have to clone the gun in the GR2 file for this to work. The GR2 Editor/Viewer is not at that point yet.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 01:36 PM   #799
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Game already has this. You just need to assign a different gun to the date in the unit's .cfg file. That gun would have the shells wanted/needed. Obviously you would have to clone the gun in the GR2 file for this to work. The GR2 Editor/Viewer is not at that point yet.
hmm... It partially is. Especially if animation/object itself will not change, that can be done, I think. I mean, that is what I'm doing with the IXb right now - that unit is purely cloned from 7B gr2
Targor Avelany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 01:37 PM   #800
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysersoze View Post
These are great documents. I've read much of the "U-boat Information for U-boat Type VII" document before, but had never seen the British interrogation reports.
yep, precious sources that will come in handy for the next phase of our project

Talking about the British interrogations, besides the cumulative edition you can also access the individual reports from link below:

http://www.uboatarchive.net/BritishI...ionReports.htm

They are great when it comes to appraise the usage of any specific equipment at various stages of the war, and how useful it was considered by U-boat crews

Quote:
I think these are sensible alterations. I am also beginning to wonder about the SK C/30's rate of fire. From a subjective perspective, I think it would be hard to manually reload such a weapon fast enough to achieve anywhere near 40 rpm.
Exactly! This is especially true if you think what an unstable and cramped gun platform U-boats had to be. In view of your approval I will implement the suggested modfications right away

Quote:
Yes, this is also troubling. In fact, many of our sources, such as Skwiot and Mehl, mention the 20 round magazine at least as often as they mention the 40 round magazine. It seems clear to me that both magazines were used at some point in the war, but it is difficult to pinpoint exactly when transitions occurred or the frequency with which different size magazines were employed. It might be that the 20 round magazine stuck around longer than we originally thought
For sure, by June '44 they had to be so rare (if used at all), that British reports don't mention them at all; I am way more convinced that we should downsize C/38 magazines, at least for single and twin mounts. What do you think?

Quote:
I have faith...TDW can do anything
Yes I trust in him too. But we must also consider that he is involved in many other SH5 projects, and that he had not much time for modding lately. Let's hope that he will read this post, at least

Quote:
Very interesting video, and another good example of historical tracer appearance.

by the way, I am still working on flares appearance. Many cool effects can be achieved by messing with SH particle generators, though discerning the effect of each of the many parameters of their controllers can be an hassle and on a side note, I have given the 20mm flak C/30 a new sound hoe you will like it

Quote:
That is probably true, although there were many reporters aboard U-boats, such as Lothar-Günther Buchheim in U-96. I don't think he took any videos, but there are hundreds of excellent pictures from the famous "Das Boot patrol." Of course, these guys were not really journalists—they were basically on board the U-boat for propaganda purposes, but that did not stop Buchheim from expressing some strong anti-war views. But at least the pictures or videos they took are footage of the "real" war, not contrived images from training boats in the Baltic made to look like they are on patrol.
Ah okay, I see what you mean now. Answering your question might be possible, but we should first indentify the nationality of the ships getting shelled/torpedoed
Old 03-26-13, 01:45 PM   #801
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
mmm... this is a workaround, but the need to "buy" another gun upgrade would "unveil" the trick. In my opinion, being automatically given different ordnance after a certain date would be much more immersing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targor Avelany View Post
hmm... It partially is. Especially if animation/object itself will not change, that can be done, I think. I mean, that is what I'm doing with the IXb right now - that unit is purely cloned from 7B gr2
yes, provided that the existing animations are not messed up by the editor, this is already possible. An example? The 105mm deck gun featured by EUF is a clone of the 88mm gun
Old 03-26-13, 01:47 PM   #802
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
mmm... this is a workaround, but the need to "buy" another gun upgrade would "unveil" the trick. In my opinion, being automatically given different ordnance after a certain date would be much more immersing ...
How would you not get the gun? If it's specified in the unit's .eqp file to be used at so-and-so date the game would use it. No intervention by player would be needed
Old 03-26-13, 02:17 PM   #803
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
How would you not get the gun? If it's specified in the unit's .eqp file to be used at so-and-so date the game would use it. No intervention by player would be needed

do you mean that armaments listed in the eqp file don't require to be selected as upgrades? IIRC I once tried to modify boat's equipment using that method, but the guns specified in the eqp file didn't show up in single mission...
Old 03-26-13, 02:35 PM   #804
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:

do you mean that armaments listed in the eqp file don't require to be selected as upgrades? IIRC I once tried to modify boat's equipment using that method, but the guns specified in the eqp file didn't show up in single mission...
IIRC you also have to specify dates for the guns in the UPC and UPCGE files
Old 03-26-13, 03:13 PM   #805
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
IIRC you also have to specify dates for the guns in the UPC and UPCGE files
I have never fully understood those files. It is about time for me to try and decipher all their settings
Old 03-26-13, 03:20 PM   #806
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 225

gap, share the info with me, as I will need it for the IX boats.
Targor Avelany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 03:27 PM   #807
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targor Avelany View Post
gap, share the info with me, as I will need it for the IX boats.
Okay, but you only need for it if you want to make the unit playable; if not, an eqp file is all you need
Old 03-31-13, 09:51 AM   #808
V13dweller
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 101
Uploads: 2

Hey Gap, I was experimenting with creating clones of ships and I decided that I would make an Emden Light cruiser with guns of same size, but in the 5.9in_SK_C36_turret_GER, but when I saw it in action, their was no muzzle flash or sound, and I am not that skilled with GR2 editors to work this one out myself, could you help?
V13dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-13, 05:33 PM   #809
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by V13dweller View Post
Hey Gap, I was experimenting with creating clones of ships and I decided that I would make an Emden Light cruiser with guns of same size, but in the 5.9in_SK_C36_turret_GER, but when I saw it in action, their was no muzzle flash or sound, and I am not that skilled with GR2 editors to work this one out myself, could you help?
HI v13, I see the problem, and fixing it is quite easy. As you probably know, lately I have focused mostly on U-boat guns. I thought to work on ship guns at a later stage, but as you are requesting it, tomorrow I will post an update of the "Armaments & equipments patch" addressing the issue pointed by you
Old 05-10-13, 07:30 AM   #810
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 374

Finally returned to testing our existing project .. I'm still trying to remember all the nuances .. three months have passed..

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
volodya61 is offline   Reply With Quote