Old 02-16-18, 01:53 AM   #11
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Every time I hear or read about these things in America I ask myself

When, when will the ordinary American say enough ?
We've all had enough of it. We just disagree on the solution.

Quote:
Secondly I know USA have this 2nd amendment, I don't know it in detail.
The Second Amendment states (in modern, plain English) that:

"Because it is necessary for ordinary people to form a well trained fighting force in order to protect their freedom, no law can be made which infringes on the people's right to keep and use guns."

Quote:
Would it be seen as altering it, if the government or the President put some restriction into it.

Such as
Every American has the right the bear arms but only up to a certain caliber
and/or
Each American has the right to bear arm but only one per citizens

I'm only a foreigner who's wondering.
The short answer is: "Yes."

Technically, the only way to restrict American gun ownership is to make another amendment to the Constitution. (And that is very difficult.) It could even be argued that some laws which already exist are unconstitutional. The 2nd Amendment simply says "the right of the people to keep and bear arms". It doesn't say what kind or how many or what magazine capacity or any of that. It simply says that the people have a right to keep and use guns ... full stop.

Now, having said that ... I think the overwhelming majority of Americans would object to there being no restrictions whatsoever on gun ownership. I know many people who own and shoot guns, and not one of them minds the background checks. I carry a gun all the time and am very pro-gun ... but even I think that guns should be kept out of the hands of mentally unstable people and criminals. I mean, you'd have to be crazy not to think that.

But, there is a very fine line between protecting the public and taking away individual rights. And it's very difficult to find a way to implement such measures while keeping everyone happy and respecting the foundation of this country: personal liberty. However, we obviously need to do something. I have my own ideas, but that's another subject.

Quote:
It is a domestic problems and it is the Americans and their politicians who have to solve this, not the entire world.
Indeed!
Sean C is offline   Reply With Quote