SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Comments to SUBSIM Review
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-21-17, 01:10 PM   #1
Captain Hammered
Seaman

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0
Default Captain Hammered on (well, under) the waves!

Hallo folks - I love subsims but due to circumstance don't get to play too often; to this point my fave games have been 688(i) and AoD - both of which I still play. I bought that new atrocity on steam: 'Cold Waters' and figured it was money fairly lost; I hadn't done my research prior to buying. BUT wanting a new subsim I thought I'd try SH5; learned of its problems and settled on SH4 and am having a WHALE of a good time learning it. I gushed a bit over it on the Steam forums and was advised to come over here where the rest of the subsim subhumans ( ) hang out. I've had it a couple of weeks now and have just departed on my first career-mode patrol. I'll tell you how it went for the sheer pleasure of sharing the story, rather than typing it out afresh I'll just copy it from my Steam post. Partly because I currently have a broken bone in my hand and typing is a pain, but mostly because the first post was kind good, don'tcha know

Anyhoo:
HMCS (Oops, I mean U.S.S. ) Searaven departed Manila at 7am 9 dec. '41. Following sea trials and a little practice we set our nose for the Philipine Sea with orders to attack merchant shipping; a nice easy first patrol. Or so I thought; A Japanese destroyer interdicted us right off the port mouth; barely an hour into the patrol. Following a hasty dive and a few shots that were WAY too close for comfort we got below the thermocline at 210 ft. and entered normal evasion tactics - aim for the enemy, wait for him to pass overhead, go to flank, enter a 3D turn and sweat until the charges go off. Fortunately the guy wasn't very good and we were able to creep away unscathed - a serious wake-up call.

We continued our patrol unmolested and following a nice cruise seeing nothing except a couple of Bettys arrived at our patrol station. We stooged around for a couple of days until we got the grey star then, determined not to return with fish in the belly, I set course around the coastal perimeter of the Sea; assuming Japanese civilian shipping would be close in-shore. I was right - and two days later encountered a sound contact coming the other way. We aimed for them and went to flank; within a couple of hours the sound contact resolved into two contacts; both merchants moving at a decent speed. We continued on until the ships came in view; two freighters heading southward in heavy seas and rain.
Searaven dived and I spent half a battery at flank speed recording and gathering as much information as I could: a Large European Composite leading a Medium Modern Split. Heading:186, speed between 12-14kts. I promptly ordered supper early and sent the men to their bunks; it would be a busy night. Following the initial plot I put our stern to the ships and crawled out of view, surfaced then raced hell-bent-for-leather for six hours to get way WAY ahead of the ships.
Full night; the weather had deteriorated even further: gale-force winds, blinding rain and massive seas. My original intent was a surfaced night approach; that was soon to be proven impossible. After doing a little math, placing myself directly in the ships' path and turning to 006 we flew at Flank towards the enemy - hardly spectacular given a Sargo's top speed but what the heck; I don't have to walk.
Following an hour of reflecting on Jerome's brilliant passage describing a horse moving "At a speed that would have done credit to the swiftest steam-roller ever built" the freighters hove into view again. Searaven dived again - though in this case she more or less just went straight and went under when the bloody ocean tilted 45 degrees.
My plan was to approach bows-on then turn 90 degrees away and strike with the stern-tubes; a favoured tactic in AoP. Using the Stadimeter was ridiculous; almost impossible - all I got was quick glimpses of the lead vessel between towering waves. I ordered Searaven up to 50 ft.; that helped, though my inexperience using the device in-game really slowed me down. At 4000yds I turned to 270 and slowed to 1/3; making numerous observations until I got something that looked reasonable. At 2500yds. I turned to 186 and set 2/3rds; my intent to fire at precisely 1nm: 2025 yds.
This is about the time where it all went pear-shaped. Perfect engagement to that point other than my ham-handed stadimeter use; plot looked good, solution looked good. Shooting observation at 2025 on the TDC; still looks good; I fired tubes #7 and 8. Both fish travelled about half the distance before disappearing - whu?! Recalculate - fire tube 6 with the fish set to low speed...it just disappeared.
Following a brief check to see if Rod Serling was somewhere in my crew I waited until the lead vessel chugged past me to 80deg. - fired 1 and 2....1 missed by a football field, 2 disappeared. I went to full speed, cursed, growled (whined a bit) and turned bows-in to a 45 degree approach. By this time we were down to stupid-close range; 1000yds. Fire 3&4 just as the aft torpedo room announced that #7 was reloaded...#3 scraped the target's stern so close it left paint on the rudder, #4 took the ship dead-center right under the funnel. BOOM!
Nice - too bad I wasn't watching; I was frantically taking a bearing on the smaller following freighter. The moment the torp went off he took violent action - as one would - and threw the wheel hard-a-starboard. Unfortunately for him that took him right across my stern at point-blank range.
After a couple of quick mental calculations - which is my way of saying blind guesses - I left the speed and range where they were, placed the bow angle at 90 degrees and fired #5 - at 240 yds (tops) he was a pretty wide target. I aimed for the midpoint, the fish struck smack under the foremast, and this one I DID get to watch. Lovely! Huge explosion, flying debris, flames on deck...close enough to break out the weenies and marshmallows. The second freighter reeled; heaved around to port and slowed to a crawl, drifting between me and target one. I ordered Searaven to the surface with instructions to the deck crews. Fortunately my gunner - CPO Peary - is absolutely kickarse and was able to lay the gun on with brilliant accuracy despite the wild sea. The large freighter opened fire with its machine gun mounts, but wasn't any threat even if it wasn't blocked by the smaller. A few moments of deck gun action and it was all over - in my after-action report I mentioned Chief Peary in hopes that he'll be mentioned as the first Canadian (Oops...I mean 'American' heh heh heh) sailor to sink two enemy ships in as many minutes and a dozen rounds.
Quite a wonderful, engaging (pun intended) action. Searaven stood down, reset heading for our patrol route and departed happy and successful.

Luvvery - I love the new game and am enjoying it thoroughly. ATM I'm on pure vanilla; it'll be a while before I start exploring mods, I want to enjoy the basic game first
Cheers folks!
Captain Hammered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-17, 04:22 PM   #2
fumo30
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 15

Welcome to Subsim mate.
Old 06-21-17, 04:30 PM   #3
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Welcome to SubSim Captain Hammered.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-17, 05:10 PM   #4
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Welcome Aboard!

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-17, 05:08 AM   #5
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-17, 07:31 AM   #6
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Welcome to Subsim CH. SH5 with modifications is a decent game but everyone has their preferences. Peter / TheBerbster is the one to talk with regarding SH5. You may find it as Immersive as Peter does.

Enjoy your time here and welcome aboard.
Commander Wallace is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-17, 01:22 PM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Captain Hammered!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote