Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-01-16, 09:05 AM   #2041
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Hitler and what happened in WWII pales in comparision to what the British Empire did in India, China, North America, Kenya, Malaya, Tasmania, North America, Australia, South Africa just to name a few.

Heck reading history books from the losing side perspective I found that under British rule from 1757-1947 1.8 billion died from slavery, starvation, execution etc etc just in India alone.
I've honestly no idea how accurate your figure is without a link to the source but what I will say is........Hitlers actions were carried out in a miniscule area compared to the list of countries you are making mention of regarding the British Empire (North America twice).

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-16, 09:07 AM   #2042
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Me too would like to see a source for or the reasoning behind this 1.8 bn number. Mind you: at the late 19th/early 20th century the global population was just two thirds of that number, something about 1+ bn.
Old 10-01-16, 09:11 AM   #2043
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

I wouldn't entirely be surprised by that high figure, although it does seem a bit high, but I mean we created Concentration camps (although they were intended for internment rather than extermination), and the Jallianwala Bagh massacre, however I can't think of instances outside of Ireland and Scotland where the British government has undertook a deliberate course of ethnic cleansing. Except perhaps in Australia/Tasmania towards the indigenous habitants. The policy in India was more towards subjecation rather than destruction.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-16, 12:10 PM   #2044
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Back to the civil war in Syria

Earlier today I saw and expert on Russia saying on Danish news that the only way to stop Russia from bombing/supporting Assad was to put action behind the words-draw a line and threaten to engage them(Russia/Syria) if they cross that line

It's the only type of language the Russians understand

Furthermore, some days ago some Danish politicians wanted to extend the Danish mandate around the engagement in Syria and Iraq. The mandate today give the Danish Air force to attack Daesh in Iraq and Syria and only Daesh.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-16, 12:33 PM   #2045
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
It's the only type of language the Russians understand

Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-16, 12:52 PM   #2046
Betonov
Navy Seal

Downloads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Back to the civil war in Syria

Earlier today I saw and expert on Russia saying on Danish news that the only way to stop Russia from bombing/supporting Assad was to put action behind the words-draw a line and threaten to engage them(Russia/Syria) if they cross that line
Do we want to stop Russia from supporting Assad ??
A lot of members of Subsim stated, me included, that Assad is the least of the 4 evils in the region and if anything, the Russians should take it up a notch.
Betonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-16, 01:55 AM   #2047
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

The whole Syria things feels a bit like this. Something that starts off small, and then grows like a metal fire on a British frigate in the Falklands.
Old 10-02-16, 05:24 AM   #2048
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Before the whole mess got out of control, it would have been a good idea to stop or remove Assad from Syria's "government". But who would have been the next dictator? The, at first, promising arabian spring revolutions have somehow come to nought everywhere.
Now Assad seems to be the lesser evil in the region, which only shows how bad all the rest has developed, in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betonov View Post
Do we want to stop Russia from supporting Assad ??
We the West sure do not win hearts with bombing hospitals and own forces, if erroneously (or not, who knows), or with not having a strategy clear to all involved.
Russia is always bad, we have learned this in the cradle, but we at least know that they support Assad.
Who do we support? Really, and over time?

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-16, 10:03 AM   #2049
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
The whole Syria things feels a bit like this. Something that starts off small, and then grows like a metal fire on a British frigate in the Falklands.
I sincerely hope you're joking. When I think of frigates in the Falklands I can't help but remember there were 86 Royal Navy personnel lost during that period.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-16, 10:13 AM   #2050
Betonov
Navy Seal

Downloads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
When WW1 broke everyone was able and itching to go.
Austria Hungary was just waiting for a reason to strike at Serbia, France just needed one spark to attack Germany. Germanies declaration of war against an ally Russia was more like an early christmas pressent. Britain was ready to cut the upstarts down to size and Belgium being violated was an excellent opportunity.
And we're talking about a full blown war, not a proxy war.

Right now it seems only the US is willing to go to war to counter Russia, and even there the population is shifting to pacifist.
Europe ?? Forget it, going into Syria is the a more effective way to loose the elections than hookers and fraud.
Betonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-16, 12:12 PM   #2051
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

I always gave credit to President Obama for being a fence sitter and that was why we didn't have boots on the ground in Syria, but now I have to change my mind and realize that it was the US Congress that kept us from sending troops to Syria: http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/01/politi...ria/index.html

Kerry said this in a leaked audio tape recently

Quote:
I lost the argument. I've argued for the use of force. I'm the guy who stood up and announced that we're going to attack Assad for the use of weapons," Kerry is heard telling the Syrian attendees, referring to internal deliberations within the administration of President Barack Obama that followed Assad's use of chemical weapons in 2013.

Kerry also faulted Congress for failing to support such a retaliatory strike, saying, "The bottom line is that Congress refused even to vote to allow that."

"We have a Congress that will not authorize our use of force," he added, explaining that a new military intervention would be difficult to bring about.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-16, 02:18 PM   #2052
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Yesterday I watched a debate between two Danish politicians one from the left and one from the right.

The person who's from Syria are member in a conservative party (right wing)and he wants as the expert I talked about earlier the west to draw a line ind sand against Russia and Syria

The person from left said several time in the debate-do you want a WWIII
´cause that is what we will end with if we threaten Russia.

All this made me think

Right now there are some hundred of thousand civilians who are in desperat need of help in Syria and there are millions on the run

If the left wing person is correct and a "draw in the sand" will end in a WWIII then it will not be these hundred of thousands in desperat need it will be billions who would be in need-and there will be no help due to breakdown in our community=hospital, social benefits etc etc.

Markus

Last edited by mapuc; 10-02-16 at 02:28 PM.
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-16, 02:21 PM   #2053
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
I always gave credit to President Obama for being a fence sitter and that was why we didn't have boots on the ground in Syria, but now I have to change my mind and realize that it was the US Congress that kept us from sending troops to Syria: http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/01/politi...ria/index.html

Kerry said this in a leaked audio tape recently
For once I'm glad we're not involved. Any other outcome but an Assad victory will lead to the same crap we've been through in Iraq and Afghanistan = power vacuum = never ending fighting between war lords and radical nut jobs.
Old 10-02-16, 05:28 PM   #2054
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
For once I'm glad we're not involved.
We are involved. Recce Tornadoes, tankers, one or two navy units.

Its just that we let others pull the triggers as an alibi that we do not get our hands dirty. We just shoot photos. But the Tornadoes could be downed and their pilots are at a certain risk every time they take off.

We should not be there. Nor any NATO, GBR, FRA, US. Of course also not the Russians, Iranians.
Old 10-03-16, 03:40 AM   #2055
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
We are involved. Recce Tornadoes, tankers, one or two navy units.

Its just that we let others pull the triggers as an alibi that we do not get our hands dirty. We just shoot photos. But the Tornadoes could be downed and their pilots are at a certain risk every time they take off.

We should not be there. Nor any NATO, GBR, FRA, US. Of course also not the Russians, Iranians.
I meant that we're not involved on the ground.

Tags
terrorism