SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-11-11, 02:44 PM   #241
Egan
Admiral

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0

It's ok, I figured it out all on my own. Had to find the guy at the start after the stuff happened.

Glowing insects? Fish jumping up the river? Wow, it sure is beautiful. Getting the hotkeys set up was a little bit frustrating but I'm getting used to the system now, I think.
Egan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11, 02:49 PM   #242
Spike88
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReFaN View Post
Grab some of them, and munch away, always fun.

I did. Ate a bee, the honecomb, and the nest to see what they did.

Edit: Noticed if you get unto the wall in Whiterun and jump, the surrounding landscape is low res, and the river is just a dried basin. Not really a big deal when you considered how much there is going on. I love the game none the less.
Old 11-11-11, 03:55 PM   #243
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Sometimes I feel like i should have more of a social life.

This is not one of those times.

Leave me alone!

Really, I'm not that interesting, why do people even want to visit?

"Hai"
"Hai..."
"How's things?"
"Hnnngh... SSSKYRIM!!1! Take yer bloody coffee and go!"

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11, 04:13 PM   #244
Drewcifer
Commodore

Downloads: 38

The game is simply great, I've been playing all day... the only part that sucks about is is exactly what Arc mentioned... damn people keep interupting my time in skyrim to attempt to bother me with concerns from the 'real' world.... damnit.
Drewcifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11, 04:16 PM   #245
Lord_magerius
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 96

It's been the opposite for me.
"Hi"
"Hi"
"you got Skyrim yet?"
"No, go and die in a fire! I swear to god if anyone else asks me I will eat their firstborn!"

It's just not fair.
Old 11-11-11, 05:45 PM   #246
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Fish! Fish jumping in a river! It's the little things...

This game is absolutely outstanding so far.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11, 06:26 PM   #247
Egan
Admiral

It is without doubt the most beautiful RPG I think I've played. I've got it running on high settings and it looks fantastic. on ultra-high it it astounding but becomes a bit of a slide show.
Old 11-11-11, 07:38 PM   #248
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

The music is outstanding. I'm liking how they used some of the Morrowind soundtrack, which is one of my favorites of all time.

And how to steal, done the right way, in Skyrim:

!

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.

Last edited by mookiemookie; 11-11-11 at 08:31 PM.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11, 10:14 PM   #249
jwilliams
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 124

Just got my 1st CTD.

I had turned up the setting to ultra and was getting a steady 30fps. Walking to Whiterun from Riverwood. Got to the farms outside Whiterun and a storm started rolling in....

Desktop.

Possibly my own fault for pushing my hardware. Will put back to the recommended (high) settings and test again.

Clocked up 11hrs playtime so far. And loved every minute, until it crashed.
Old 11-11-11, 10:43 PM   #250
Spike88
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 36

Just had to back out of a dungeon due to the enemies being too strong.
Old 11-11-11, 11:59 PM   #251
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Played a bit today, but primarily focused on finishing my big 'final' playthrough of the now-complete New Vegas. Some initial observations:
  • The game, as many have said, looks fantastic. However, what I really dig is the new 'gritty' look. Gone is the ultra-sanitized look of previous elder scrolls games. People look like they live in houses that don't have running water. Lower-class homes look like lower-class dwellings.
  • Game optimization is fantastic. My machine is hardly state-of-the-art, but running at high, I get excellent frame rates. Had a CTD earlier, but that was after some extended running through the landscape, resulting in multiple grid loads. I get the same kind of errors in Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, so it really isn't a big deal to me. I like to move slow through these games anyway and almost never fast travel. You see a lot more if you take the time to walk through the landscape.
  • Details are everything. Bethesda loves it's flagship series and it shows. Having come into the inn at night, I rented a room, after which the innkeep came out from behind the counter and showed me upstairs to the room. No more friendly, yet vague directions about which room is your's. NPCs act a whole lot more like real people now, which is a real immersion booster.
  • Bethesda took my favorite things about their incarnations of the Fallout series and put them in the game. We've got perks, crafting and even a status message telling my that I was well-rested after waking up in the inn.
  • Melee combat seems clunky and slow. Maybe I am not used to the feel of the game yet, but I have found swinging my sword to be clumsy at best. Have been relying on my archery more, but this game could really stand to have a type of VATS interface.
I haven't even tried magic yet, and I am pretty tired right now, but I will probably start a fresh game tomorrow and give it a whirl then. Skyrim is clearly the 2011 game of the year, and looks like it will be an obsession of mine for some time.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-11, 05:52 AM   #252
Egan
Admiral

Combat is clunky and slow - but it's been that way in the TES games forever and a day, hasn't it. I suspect PC mouse issues are also contributing to the feel of it a bit. There do seem to be some slo-mo finishing moves a bit llike in Fallout3/NV, so that's nice.

I've also only just realised that attributes are gone: no strength, dex, agility etc. As a big D&D fan something in my head is screaming 'heretic!' but If I haven't noticed until just now I don't suppose it's really been a problem. I also have a bit of a likeing for the class-less nature of the game. It seems much more fitting for such an open world.

Having said that, I want Baldur's Gate 3 to look like this. Pleeeeeeaaaase.
Old 11-12-11, 08:51 AM   #253
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
...but this game could really stand to have a type of VATS interface.

Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-11, 08:55 AM   #254
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Clunky, yes, get used to it though. I've actually given up on blocking and just use a spell in that hand instead. Damage with magic a bit, try to dodge blows and get in a stab or slash where possible.

But yeah, generally open with an arrow (sneak attack). If that doesn't kill them, they often go into that staggered state, at which point I dash in and finish with the sword.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-11, 09:03 AM   #255
Egan
Admiral

Just leveled up and I have to say, I really don't like the way you choose perks. It seems to be really, really fiddly and it's far to0 awkward to see what choices there are. Also, the game seems to constantly unsticky the hotkey for my bow, for some reason. Doesn't do this for anything else - just the bow. It was driving me spare. Also just crashed on me for the first time. These are minor things, though, and I have yet to experience any real problems so far, other than the fact it doesn't seem to be running as smoothly as I had hoped it would. I think that's a hardware problem on my part, though, as I've had GPU issues recently.

The weather effects are lovely. Just wondering around in the rain, with the mist cloaked hills and all - most atmospheric. As was noisily passing some trees and scaring a bunch of birds into flight - what a nice touch.

When I was in town yesterday buying it every person in every game store I was in seem to be buying it. I've never seen anything like it before, not even for really big games. I wonder how long it will be before we get the first DLC.

Does anyone know when we're going to get the editor stuff?