SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-13-08, 06:43 AM   #1036
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Niner
I'm currently using the TM version of RSRDC + patch 7.
To update RSRDC, all I need to do is remove patch 7 & install patch 8?
Thanks for confirmation/clarification.

That is correct
lurker_hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 09:51 AM   #1037
Suicide Charlie
Wild Night in Bangkok

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I have TMO + RSRD installed. I have to say that I'm glad that I came back to the subsim community when I did. When I left SHIV was still floundering with all of the out-of-the-box bugs and there was much doom and gloom about patches. There were many debate threads about "They've abandoned us."

I have to say that RSRD makes SHIV a whole new game and really freshens it up. Great job Lurker.
Old 06-15-08, 09:25 PM   #1038
BooBooLovesAll
Helmsman

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhealy
You aren't looking in the right places, plenty of ships out there in RSRD in traffic lanes.
Anybody ever create a map of those traffic lanes?
BooBooLovesAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 10:29 PM   #1039
Quagmire
Watch Officer

Downloads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker_hlb3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjimeneza
lurker

tried rsrd with TMO 152... got some stuttering on the water... but dont know if it was caused by a "collision", heres my mod structure:

REL_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_152
RSRDC_TMOv15_V371
RSRDC_V371_Patch8

comments are welcome...

NOTE: this is the first time I have run 152.... so I have no comparison to standard 152 vs RSRD mod 152

thanks
There is no problems I know of with TMO 152
Hey Lurker, FYI. The aircraft cfg files in the latest version of RSRD overwrite all the work Ducimus did 'up-armoring' the aircraft in TMO 152. The file "ALBS_H8K.cfg" is a good example.

The RSRD version of the file does not contain this:

[Loadout 1]
Name=16x250Kg Bombs
Type=2

[Loadout 2]
Name=8xDepth Charge
Type=5

Just thought you should know. Or am I worried about nothing here? Anyway, are there any other areas that might be a problem?
The day publishers figured out that they could sell flashy first person shooters to teenagers in numbers greater than sand on a beach was the day that quality simulations died. --Col. Tibbets UBI SHIV Forums

I guess they should have made SH4 an open boat where we run around inside and shoot each other a 1000 times. They seem to handle those games with numerous patches. --Longam UBI SHIV Forums

A sad day has dawned...
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 10:57 PM   #1040
Suicide Charlie
Wild Night in Bangkok

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooLovesAll
Quote:
You aren't looking in the right places, plenty of ships out there in RSRD in traffic lanes.
That's what I'm talking about. Whenever I get into a patrol I go to my Nav map and do the best I can to recreate whatever shipping lanes were present in the timeframe and area I'll be operating. I wonder if there's a map tool mod that adds a tool that will allow you to draw curved lines.
Old 06-16-08, 01:12 PM   #1041
JoeCorrado
Weps

Downloads: 176
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Charlie
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooLovesAll
Quote:
That's what I'm talking about. Whenever I get into a patrol I go to my Nav map and do the best I can to recreate whatever shipping lanes were present in the timeframe and area I'll be operating. I wonder if there's a map tool mod that adds a tool that will allow you to draw curved lines.
They are out there. I am running TMO 152 with RSRD 371 patch 8 and this is what can be had if you think about hwere the ships must travel and set your search pattern to take advantage of any choke points. - This is the passage between Borneo and Celebes late May 1942. They were everywhere at that time, but 2 months earlier the Japanese would not have been making the push south and the pickings would have been much slimmer although the same choke point would have existed.

As you can see, Lurker put my patrol area close enough to take advantage but with a large enough patrol radius I "could" have gone chasing off away from the most logical patrol area. Some times the obvious is not quite as obvious as this- but then again, that choice of where to patrol within the given area is all up to the captain's descretion.

Choose wisely young Skywalker. :hmm:

My Game starts with GFO - Keepin' it real as it needs to be!
JoeCorrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 01:50 PM   #1042
Suicide Charlie
Wild Night in Bangkok

I'm not looking for like a road map to success. I actually more interesting in tools that will allow me to log my own and create a map with what intellegence I've pick up over my encounters during parols in a particular boat.

Oddly enough I seem to just be missing shipping at my patrol zones with RSRD. My first patrol with the USS Tambor was a good one simply because I caught an IJN task force with two HIRYU's about 700nm WNW of Wake. I took a flat top. I lost the sound contact while I dropped back into a shadow position to recharge batteries and reload. I proceed on to my patrol area which was 130nm SE of Okinawa. The only contacts I had were aircraft. Of course I couldn't do much prowling due to fuel reserves. I was hoping to get extremely lucky and get a Maru or two moving from the East coast Japanese ports down to the Phillipines, Boreno, Formosa (Tiawan), etc to be dumped in my lap.

The patrol I'm on now sent me just on the West side of Okinawa in the East China Sea. I expected to be almost walking across a sea of steel as past experiences there have always been fruitful. Not a single thing. Now they're sending me back SSE of Okinawa.

It's March 11th, 1942 in my game.
Old 06-16-08, 03:20 PM   #1043
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
I'm not looking for like a road map to success. I actually more interesting in tools that will allow me to log my own and create a map with what intellegence I've pick up over my encounters during parols in a particular boat.

Oddly enough I seem to just be missing shipping at my patrol zones with RSRD. My first patrol with the USS Tambor was a good one simply because I caught an IJN task force with two HIRYU's about 700nm WNW of Wake. I took a flat top. I lost the sound contact while I dropped back into a shadow position to recharge batteries and reload. I proceed on to my patrol area which was 130nm SE of Okinawa. The only contacts I had were aircraft. Of course I couldn't do much prowling due to fuel reserves. I was hoping to get extremely lucky and get a Maru or two moving from the East coast Japanese ports down to the Phillipines, Boreno, Formosa (Tiawan), etc to be dumped in my lap.

The patrol I'm on now sent me just on the West side of Okinawa in the East China Sea. I expected to be almost walking across a sea of steel as past experiences there have always been fruitful. Not a single thing. Now they're sending me back SSE of Okinawa.

Look in the shallow water. I find a lot there. Sometimes a patrol will be fruitless. Since Lurkers last patch, I'm finding a lot of vessels running the slot south of Celebes.
Old 06-16-08, 04:05 PM   #1044
Suicide Charlie
Wild Night in Bangkok

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
Quote:

Look in the shallow water. I find a lot there. Sometimes a patrol will be fruitless. Since Lurkers last patch, I'm finding a lot of vessels running the slot south of Celebes.
The Sea of Celebes is usually pretty decent. Problem is I'm operating out of Pearl and Midway, so my time on station and ability to roam is limited.
Old 06-16-08, 04:05 PM   #1045
cgjimeneza
Captain

Downloads: 145
Default think like a ship driver

If I know Lurker he´s thinking like a ship driver.... moving his convoys inshore

they like shallow water, were no subs dare go in. Were you cant hide...

"Left on their own, engineers can be dangerous"
cgjimeneza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 04:59 PM   #1046
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker_hlb3
Quote:
lurker

tried rsrd with TMO 152... got some stuttering on the water... but dont know if it was caused by a "collision", heres my mod structure:

REL_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_152
RSRDC_TMOv15_V371
RSRDC_V371_Patch8

comments are welcome...

NOTE: this is the first time I have run 152.... so I have no comparison to standard 152 vs RSRD mod 152

thanks
There is no problems I know of with TMO 152
Hey Lurker, FYI. The aircraft cfg files in the latest version of RSRD overwrite all the work Ducimus did 'up-armoring' the aircraft in TMO 152. The file "ALBS_H8K.cfg" is a good example.

The RSRD version of the file does not contain this:

[Loadout 1]
Name=16x250Kg Bombs
Type=2

[Loadout 2]
Name=8xDepth Charge
Type=5

Just thought you should know. Or am I worried about nothing here? Anyway, are there any other areas that might be a problem?

Yes I'm well aware of this, however the changes in TMO 152 conflict with some setting in the campaign layer. Removely or changes to RSRDC files may cause a CTD
lurker_hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 06:06 PM   #1047
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The Sea of Celebes is usually pretty decent. Problem is I'm operating out of Pearl and Midway, so my time on station and ability to roam is limited.
Run 10 kts to the main island of Japan. When on station, cruise at 5-7 kts to conserve.
Old 06-16-08, 06:08 PM   #1048
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
If I know Lurker he´s thinking like a ship driver.... moving his convoys inshore

they like shallow water, were no subs dare go in. Were you cant hide...
In the slot south of Celebes there were two nice vessels but the shallows would have prevented me from even hitting periscope depth. They laughed at me as they cruised by and all I could do was shake my fist at them. But, when I made the choke point into the slot out of the Celebes Sea I got two fat tankers. No aviation fuel made it to Java
Old 06-16-08, 08:23 PM   #1049
Suicide Charlie
Wild Night in Bangkok

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Run 10 kts to the main island of Japan. When on station, cruise at 5-7 kts to conserve.
That's about usual for my proceedure. Cruise at Standard Bell for the best fuel effiecency and try to use 2/3rds Bell after that.

Here's a question that I acutally have been wondering about though. In order to charge your batteries you burn marine diesel. Makes sense, I'm not stranger to this, I work on 100+ ton boats and the same prinicples are applied for generators and the like.

With that in mind does switching between diesel and electric engines conserve that much or if any fuel at all? It seemed in SHIII it was definitely noticable. But, I've been in situations in SHIV where I'm trying to conserve every gallon of fuel I have in order to return to a re-fueling station so I'll switch between running on the surface and submerged, typically at 2/3rds Bell.
Old 06-16-08, 08:35 PM   #1050
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

The submarine is a surface vessel that can submerge for a time. With that in mind stay on the surface as long as possible. As you recharge batteries you burn more fuel(in game). I do not submerge until I absolutely have too. This helps greatly with reducing fuel consumption.

Now we return Lurkers thread back to RSRD