Closed Thread

Old 01-17-17, 11:10 AM   #346
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
It could be there is a confusion about the Trump stance on Duke and the KKK. I did recall Trump did disavow Duke and the KKK, but I never gave it much attention: Trump had to disavow them or commit political suicide; there was no other choice if he wished to remain a viable candidate. What had struck me is the reference in a previous post stating Trump had repeatedly made disavowals prior to the last one. I looked it up and found this:

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/poli...e63492082.html

So, Trump, indeed, has repeatedly disavowed Duke and the KKK; but the article itself had a link to a FactCheck.org article:

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/03/tru...-duke-amnesia/

These two articles may explain the confusion: it appears the famous Trump affliction of conveniently "selective memory", seen so often in his life, is being conflated with his disavowals. People seem to have taken his claims of knowing nothing about David Duke at all with an alleged refusal to disavow Duke. Trump did and has disavowed Duke and the KKK: that is very true. Trump has claimed no previous knowledge of Duke: that is false. As FactCheck.org sometimes refers to these sorts of situations, it is a case of "True, but..."...

<O>
well no, the truth is a lot simpler. Democrats want to paint all Republicans as racist. Trump kept getting asked the question do you disavow David Duke and the KKK. The point was not whether Trump disavowed the group or not, it was just to ask the question to plant the idea in a voter's mind that the GOP and the KKK are somehow linked. It is a very underhanded trick.

Everyone in the GoP and the Trump campaign has repeatedly said they do not want the support of the KKK.

Now the one interview where Trump hesitated, he later blamed on a bad earpiece and that he had trouble understanding the question. If you read the transcript, that explanation makes the most sense.

Quote:
NBC ‘TODAY’ SHOW, Monday, Feb. 29

TRUMP: “I’m sitting in a house in Florida, with a very bad earpiece that they gave me, and you could hardly hear what he was saying. What I heard was ‘various groups.’ And I don’t mind disavowing anybody, and I disavowed David Duke.”

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/poli...#storylink=cpy
Of course, Democrats and the partisan media only refer to that one incident as "proof" that Trump is a racist, but at this point, I expect no less from them.
Old 01-17-17, 11:50 AM   #347
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Oh give it a rest.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Old 01-17-17, 11:59 AM   #348
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Meh, poor ol' vienna he's just like those he chastises for mindlessly regurgitating biased opinions of others. he's armed with sources of information he regards as fact because thats what the source said it is. But why just blindly take the bait hook line sinker? Because imo these so called facts aren't posted to educate anyone. They simply serve to validate ones own narrow point of view which in turn keeps him coming back to their website for more of their facts.

we all do it

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Old 01-17-17, 12:25 PM   #349
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
Oh give it a rest.
Give us a quote man ... I just woke up

I think the opinion polls are out of wack again just like they were before the election. Notice they never tell us how many people or who the people were or where they asked the poll questions.

Perhaps it was wall-mart or was it May company or a coffee cafe or people they trust to think what they think or heck perhaps they even just adjust the polls to anything they want them to be.

This man Trump is fixing to be in charge of the biggest most powerful nation in the world in just (72) hours.

I wish we could break that tweeter off and stick up his left arm, but we can't so lets put up with him and give him a chance (at least here on subsim)
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Old 01-17-17, 02:07 PM   #350
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
[...] I wish we could break that tweeter off and stick up his left arm, but we can't so lets put up with him and give him a chance (at least here on subsim)

It is hard, but i agree with you .. i just hope he does not push the button

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 01-17-17, 04:14 PM   #351
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Meh, poor ol' vienna...

we all do it
Whether we all do it or not, if you have an objection to one member's take on things, please provide your own evidence to the contrary rather than just say he's doing this or that. Otherwise it's just words.

Also remember that openly insulting other members is not allowed at SubSim.
Old 01-17-17, 04:34 PM   #352
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Little ol'meeee? Lol.. There is nothing wrong with sharing information from various points of view. Most can be seen for what is. But I wasn't the one who felt the need to chastise others and mock their level of education because their source of facts didnt agree with his. I was just simply pointing out that he's just like us and his poop stinks just like everyone elses.

I will heed your advice.

I blame Oberon he put me up to this you know.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 01-17-17 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-17-17, 05:28 PM   #353
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
But I wasn't the one who felt the need to chastise others and mock their level of education because their source of facts didnt agree with his.
Where exactly did he do that?
Old 01-17-17, 05:50 PM   #354
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Icon12 The true nature of 'blind trust'-meets 'Minnesota Nice'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
well no, the truth is a lot simpler. Democrats want to paint all Republicans as racist. Trump kept getting asked the question do you disavow David Duke and the KKK. The point was not whether Trump disavowed the group or not, it was just to ask the question to plant the idea in a voter's mind that the GOP and the KKK are somehow linked. It is a very underhanded trick.

Everyone in the GoP and the Trump campaign has repeatedly said they do not want the support of the KKK.

Now the one interview where Trump hesitated, he later blamed on a bad earpiece and that he had trouble understanding the question. If you read the transcript, that explanation makes the most sense.

Of course, Democrats and the partisan media only refer to that one incident as "proof" that Trump is a racist, but at this point, I expect no less from them.
Who needs the Klan when you're (literally) bringing in a clan of your own!??? Just to be evenhanded though:
Quote:
“ While shades of nepotism remain a real worry, a handful of moderates and even liberals spoke highly of Mr. Kushner, expressing hope that the president’s closest adviser might serve as a moderating influence.I’ll tell you right off the bat, of all the names I hear of the people going in there, Jared Kushner is a more intelligent and more thoughtful person than an awful lot of them,” says Richard Painter, the former chief ethics lawyer for President George W. Bush and professor at the University of Minnesota Law School.
Now that's a little too Minnesota Nice! http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2017/0111/The-surprising-response-to-Trump-son-in-law-s-new-White-House-post

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 01-17-17, 06:52 PM   #355
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
I think the divide has only accelerated since the financial crash of 2008, and I think is fairly typical of what happens in societies in times of great uncertainty and potential conflict, people tend to see the middle ground as not working and so head out into the fringes where there be dragons (or at the very least, dictators).
I like to attribute it to the advent of the Internet. We have always had extremists in the US. But they tended to be isolated and lonely. Other than the occasional "I would like to subscribe to your newsletter", there were limited venues for finding and communicating with others of the same ilk.

The internet allows extremists to more easily find other extremists. This can quickly lead to confirmation bias as "all my friends on the Internets Tubes agree with me so I can't be all that strange". This can lead to empowering the extremists.

The extremists can limit their social exposure to only those who share their opinions. This can support the feeling of "us against them".

The advantage of the Internet is that it allows easier exchange of information.

The disadvantage of the Internet is that it allows easier exchange of information.

There may not be a solution to this problem.
Old 01-17-17, 08:47 PM   #356
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
I like to attribute it to the advent of the Internet. We have always had extremists in the US. But they tended to be isolated and lonely. Other than the occasional "I would like to subscribe to your newsletter", there were limited venues for finding and communicating with others of the same ilk.

The internet allows extremists to more easily find other extremists. This can quickly lead to confirmation bias as "all my friends on the Internets Tubes agree with me so I can't be all that strange". This can lead to empowering the extremists.

The extremists can limit their social exposure to only those who share their opinions. This can support the feeling of "us against them".

The advantage of the Internet is that it allows easier exchange of information.

The disadvantage of the Internet is that it allows easier exchange of information.

There may not be a solution to this problem.
Fully in agreement. It's very much a case of sorting the wheat from the chaff in the online world and it is very easy to get stuck in an echo chamber, because people seem to be becoming less open to differing opinions. Even I'm finding myself getting this way, and I find the world to be a harder place to understand because of it. It is definitely enhancing the feeling of 'Us vs them' be the 'them' Muslims or Democrats or Republicans or Conservatives or Russians or Chinese or Black People or White People.

I also don't see a solution to the problem, but I see it becoming a catastrophic problem for mankind, particularly when unscrupulous people tap into that divide for their own purposes and then have to feed that divide in order to stay in power.

A hard rain is gonna fall I think.
Old 01-17-17, 08:49 PM   #357
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
I blame Oberon he put me up to this you know.
You'll be posting gifs next.
Old 01-17-17, 08:51 PM   #358
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

For Trump is an honest man...

Tape shows Trump contradicting himself (again) on Putin meeting:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tape-show...213245455.html

One big problem for pathological liars: it gets harder and harder to keep your stories straight...

<O>
Old 01-17-17, 09:11 PM   #359
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Clinton Inc exposed for what it was

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/cl...rticle/2612026

Quote:
It was always obvious that the Clinton Foundation was not simply a charity. As Hillary's opponents but also neutral observers discerned, Hillary was a coin-operated policymaker and the Clinton Foundation and CGI were toll collectors for access to her State Department and a future Clinton administration.

It was always obvious to those who weren't too blind to see.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
Old 01-17-17, 09:37 PM   #360
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Pots and kettles, glass houses, first to throw stones, etc., etc. ...

Washington Post Details Possible Illegal Payments by Trump Foundation:

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...ump-foundation

Trump pays IRS a penalty for his foundation violating rules with gift to aid Florida attorney general:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...orney-general/

Donald Trump is going to appoint Pam Bondi, who got an illegal payment from the Trump Foundation, to a White House spot:

http://www.salon.com/2017/01/05/dona...-payment-from/

Trump Decries His Foundation's Closure, Overstating Its Giving:

http://www.npr.org/2016/12/27/507143...ing-its-giving

John 8:32: "...And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free ..."

Apparently, among other things, Trump is heavily into bondage...

<O>

Tags
biden, clinton, election, harris, obama, politics, trump, twitter