SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-10-14, 02:52 PM   #16
Raptor
Weps

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 0

Alas, SH3 does not allow you the option of running on just one engine like SH2 did.

In real life, you can run each engine at a different speed and each prop in a different direction simultaneous. This is often done whenever a very fast, hard turn must be made - throw the rudder hard over, reverse one engine at full speed and run the other engine full ahead.
Old 04-10-14, 03:02 PM   #17
flag4
Watch Officer

Downloads: 147

...surely, as Captain you will make the right (most realistic) decision for you and your crew. imagine what would really happen and then script that into your situation.
you'd probably be picked up - then the boat toed in under darkness. the game doesn't allow for this so you could RTB - teleport within the 25 klmts. I think that's allowable and honourable too. you can only work within the parameters of the game - after that its artistic licence/imagination. I wouldn't consider a RTB a cop-out. I would do this - an RTB, because its all that's available within the game other than abandon patrol, which isn't necessary because you have RTB within the realism of your situation: GET HOME. YOU SURVIVED!
Kurt Vonnegut
flag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-14, 02:37 AM   #18
Kaptlt.Endrass
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 96
Default The end

Well, we were almost home when group of destroyers and a cruiser showed up. I dove to periscope depth and hoped for the best, but in the end, the U-65 was sent to the depths of the briny deep with all hands by ramming. Tommy always wins somehow, doesn't he?

As much as I dislike it sometimes, I'm a tin can sailor, through and through.
Kaptlt.Endrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-14, 02:40 AM   #19
Kaptlt.Endrass
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 96

I thank all for your help and advice, and wish you all wel on your own careers. Gött segne.

As much as I dislike it sometimes, I'm a tin can sailor, through and through.
Kaptlt.Endrass is offline   Reply With Quote