SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-14-14, 08:26 PM   #1
vfrflyer
Swabbie

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0
SHO Need help with Steam, TMO 2.5 & JSGME.

Hi all,
Right now I don't thin my Steam version of SHIV 1.5 has the mods properly installed. I have SHIV and the U-Boat expansion installed and used JSGME to install TMO 2.5 but when I do the file comparison it shows a ton of new files added but none changed and the acual sim behavior seems to be vanilla SHIV 1.5. Nothing from TMO seems to acually be active. My plan is to do a complete uninstall, cleanup, defrag, reboot, reinstall from steam on a seperate drive, reboot, cleanup, defrag, reboot again, backup all game files in special directory and manually copy/merge TMO 2.5 folder by folder. Any thoughts, advice is welcome and thanks in advance. Last time I played, few years, the begin of the sim had a really cool TMO load screen and a ton of features I'm not seeing now.
vfrflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-14, 10:45 PM   #2
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

I would make sure your file structure is correct first. Sometimes the mods end up with an extra folder that prevents them from being enabled. This is a common problem.
So, instead of having ....\Mods\TMO 2.5\Data\....

you have ... \Mods\TMO 2.5\TMO 2.5\Data\....
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-14, 01:49 AM   #3
vfrflyer
Swabbie

Yes sir. Thank you. Shortly after I made this post, I read around the forum and found a post, checked my file structure, realigned everything and PRESTO! The glorious TMO experience I remember coupled with the RSRD campaign. 👍. I guess the next best thing I could ask is since I have been out for so long, what other mods of excellence will work in conjunction with TMO/RSRD?
Old 12-15-14, 02:02 AM   #4
Havan_IronOak
Navy Dude

Downloads: 233
Default I also recently installed my first mods Is this right?

I also recently installed my first mods...

I can find all the files in .../Steam/steamApps/common/Silent Hunters wolves of the pacific/JSMA/MODS/1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5

The wierd thing is to check that was working I started a NEW US campaign and right away I spotted that the desk picture was still the "Sailor" not the "Betty Grable" in the .../Steam/steamApps/common/Silent Hunters wolves of the pacific/JSMA/MODS/1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5/Data/Captainpicture sub directory.

That "Betty Grable" picture is in .../Steam/steamApps/common/Silent Hunters wolves of the pacific/Data/Captainpicture sub directory.
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
NVidia RTX2070 16 Gig
Havan_IronOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-14, 02:23 AM   #5
TorpX
Silent Hunter

I'm not sure about that. What is JSMA? (JSGME?)

On my machine it looks like this:

C:\Special Games\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\#MODS\1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5\Data\...

Of course, I don't use Steam, so that may change things. Note that I set mine up so I could rename the Mods folder #MODS, so the folder would always be at the top in Windows Explorer. JSGME must know what your mods folder is named. There is no JSGME folder. There is a JSGME.exe and JSGME.ini in the Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific folder.

Someone who uses Steam can provide more help if you are still having trouble.

Old 12-15-14, 02:47 AM   #6
vfrflyer
Swabbie

The correct file structure as Steam set mine up and after I fixed my little faux pa is , c:\program files(x86)\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Silent Hunter 4\Mods\mod name. JSGME and it's .ini file should be in the Silent Hunter 4 folder directly with the game .exe file. I will try and add a screen shot of my structure when I get off my pad and back on my laptop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg filestructurejsgmesteam.jpg (43.7 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by vfrflyer; 12-15-14 at 03:00 AM. Reason: file attachment of file structure for steam.
Old 12-15-14, 05:45 AM   #7
Havan_IronOak
Navy Dude

Default Thanks for that the both of you!

I've learned that given a couple of positions I can usually plot the course to where I need to be. Between the two of you I now see what I need to fix.

Thanks again.
NVidia RTX2070 16 Gig
Old 12-15-14, 04:41 PM   #8
Ivan
Swabbie

Downloads: 71
Default Same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrflyer View Post
Yes sir. Thank you. Shortly after I made this post, I read around the forum and found a post, checked my file structure, realigned everything and PRESTO! The glorious TMO experience I remember coupled with the RSRD campaign. 👍. I guess the next best thing I could ask is since I have been out for so long, what other mods of excellence will work in conjunction with TMO/RSRD?
Hey , I'm having the same issue as well , I recently bought SH4 and Uboat add on from steam , I have tried a lot of stuff to mod it but its not working , I'm sure it has something to do with "replicating the game's folder structure" , don't get what that means.. what was the post you found . how did you work around this issue? help please , im trying to get the germans speaking german. and op munson

by the way your screenshot is way to small to see the folders.

cheers.
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-14, 08:45 PM   #9
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Look in your MODS folder. You should have a folder called "<mod to install>".* Look in that folder. It should contain a folder called "Data", and possibly a folder for documentation.

So, this is what you want:
Code:
SH4                  THIS IS THE CORRECT WAY
  |
  -> jsgme.exe
  |
  ->MODS
      |
      -><mod to install>
           |
           ->Data
Depending on how you unpacked the mod, you may find that inside the "<mod to install>" folder, you have a folder called "<mod to install>". Inside this folder you will find the "Data" folder.

Like so:
Code:
SH4                  THIS IS THE WRONG WAY
  |
  ->MODS
      |
      -><mod to install>
           |
           -><mod to install>
                 |
                 ->Data
In this case, run JSGME and disable <mod to install>. Rename the first "<mod to install>" folder to "<something>".* Drag the "<mod to install>" to the "MODS" folder, delete the "<something>" folder. Run JSGME and enable <mod to install>.

Also, if you are running Vista or Windows 7:
These operating systems assume that you are a complete idiot. Unless you are running as the administrator account, you are blocked from making changes to files in the "Program Files" directory. I would suggest installing SH4 in a different directory, for example, "C:\Ubisoft\SH4". This will prevent any problems. If you don't feel like re-installing, either use the administrator account (bad idea) or run JSGME as administrator. I don't remember off the top of my head how to arrange that.**

*The value of <mod to install> may vary. The value of <something> will vary, it doesn't matter, I actually just hit random keys. You're just going to delete it anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

**Input of author included at least one large gin and tonic. Check instructions for sanity before using. Author claims no responsibility for whatever you may do to your computer.***

***Always make backups before making major changes to anything.
Old 12-15-14, 09:41 PM   #10
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havan_IronOak View Post
I've learned that given a couple of positions I can usually plot the course to where I need to be. Between the two of you I now see what I need to fix.

Thanks again.
Once you fix the file structure problem, and start the game, you should readily see a difference. TMO has unique and colorful loading screens, very different from stock.

Old 12-15-14, 10:34 PM   #11
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Welcome to SUBSIM :-)

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-14, 01:39 AM   #12
Havan_IronOak
Navy Dude

Default Thanks for the info.

I've gotten past the initial difficulties now and am sure that the modding process is working.

The splash screen are very different.
NVidia RTX2070 16 Gig
Old 12-16-14, 02:30 AM   #13
Ivan
Swabbie

Downloads: 71

Thank you gents , followed your instructions and now the crew is speaking german!... I'm trying to install the op monsun it seems this is a massive mod and one of the indications is that i MUST install it while on port , what does this mean ... I don't want to mess it up.

cheers
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-14, 06:33 AM   #14
HertogJan
Weps

Downloads: 137

It means you can't install mid campaign (while at see) you have to be docked (in the office) to be able to install OM without problems.
Probably going to have to start a new carreer too but thats me guessing on that.
HertogJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-14, 08:42 AM   #15
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

If you're going to install Operation Monsun you should make sure it's on a fresh installation of the game, because the supermods don't work well together. You can use Multi-SH4 to run separate installs if you want. If OM is all you want to run then you should get rid of all traces of whatever supermod you're currently running. If you're playing stock then you should be good to go, but heed the previous advice and install it in between patrols. OM is much better than the stock U-Boats campaign anyway.