SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-18-09, 11:50 PM   #1
Crunch Troll
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Multiple messages about base change (GWX 3.0 Gold)

Hi!

I have just recently started using the Grey Wolves mod (3.0 Gold specifically) after playing SH III for some time.

With the addition of other starting flotillas, I decided to choose 7th/13th as I usually transfer to the 7th after it is available in regular SH III.

My second patrol in area AO98 (next to Konigsberg and containing Danzig) with 7th/13th began in the last week of August 1939 so I stayed on station in order to attack as soon as possible.

When 39 Sept 01 0000 rolled around, I started getting messages about base changes alternating Kiel and Konigsberg at a rate of about 8 per minute.

After doing some searching on the board (for keywords "base change multiple messages", the only messages I could find concerned GWX 2.1 and was supposedly fixed in GWX 3.0. From these messages, I know the error is likely caused by a data file that listed my homebase for 39 Sept as both locations.

To ensure this was not a one time occurence, I went to a save point a couple days prior and played up to this point making a couple of save points within a couple hours of Sept 01. This issue reappeared on all three save points tested.

I would rather not go through an entire month of base change messages (at 8 messages/minute or 11520 messages/day). Might miss something importart, like when I can shoot at someone. Or not shoot.

Has someone run into this issue with GWX 3.0 and more importantly, is there a fix?

Game Information
Windows XP SP3
SH III DVD - USA version (I presume that is the version Canadians get)
Patch 1.4b
GWX 3.0 Gold with following mods added (in this order):
- 16km Atmosphere
- English Nav Map and Grid Refs (I can read German but am lazy)
- Axis Mediterranean Aircraft Skins
- Enhanced Damage Effects
- Integrated Orders
- No Medals on Crew
- Lite Harbour Traffic
- Open Hatch Mod
- VIIC/41 Player Sub
- Late War Sensors Snorkel Antennas
- Alternative Flotillas

If any further information is required, just ask and I will do what I can.
Crunch Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-09, 12:27 AM   #2
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

I will keep an ear to the ground... but that is the first time that I've heard of an error with the description you gave.

I suggest disabling the Alternative flotillas mod via JGSME since you are sailing from the standard core flotilla(s).

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-09, 12:54 AM   #3
Crunch Troll
Swabbie

Disable Alternative Flotillas as you had indicated but the issue persisted. Also ran at time compression of x1 to doublecheck number of messages in 1 minute and my earlier estimate of 8/minute was correct.

Let me know if you need further data to assist with this problem.
Old 04-19-09, 09:38 PM   #4
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunch Troll View Post
Disable Alternative Flotillas as you had indicated but the issue persisted. Also ran at time compression of x1 to doublecheck number of messages in 1 minute and my earlier estimate of 8/minute was correct.

Let me know if you need further data to assist with this problem.
Hi mate,

Given that you have been the only one to report this issue, I don't believe the problem is related to the GWX mod.

I have been undable to replicate the situation you describe.

Since you have played SH3 for some time prior to engaging The Grey Wolves Expansion, I suggest that you use the game disk to completely remove all traces of your base SH3 installation... delete all GWX files from the directory manually... reboot your PC and reinstall SH3... patch to version 1.4b ... and then reinstall GWX 3.0.... to ensure that your installation is 'clean.'

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-09, 10:34 PM   #5
Crunch Troll
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt. Lehmann View Post
Hi mate,

Given that you have been the only one to report this issue, I don't believe the problem is related to the GWX mod.

I have been undable to replicate the situation you describe.

Since you have played SH3 for some time prior to engaging The Grey Wolves Expansion, I suggest that you use the game disk to completely remove all traces of your base SH3 installation... delete all GWX files from the directory manually... reboot your PC and reinstall SH3... patch to version 1.4b ... and then reinstall GWX 3.0.... to ensure that your installation is 'clean.'
Unfortunately, it is a clean installation. I read the instructions before installing and made sure I uninstalled SH3 then deleted the remaining program files and saved game files in My Documents.

I, too, thought it was odd since I could find no reference to it in GWX 3.0 and it had been fixed after 2.1. Maybe my system is haunted.
Old 04-20-09, 06:58 AM   #6
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

Hi.

Yes, this Bug was caught in GWX 2.1, however, that was for Memel/Kiel.

The cause of this were the flotilla entry\exit dates for the 2 ports in question being in conflict with each other, thus putting SH3 in a loop.

In your instance it sounds like a conflict between Konigs & Kiel however, as you are the first to report this issue with GWX Gold, I must assume a file conflict with an enabled mod, corrupt file or an unchanged line in the Alternate Flotillas mod.

Believe me, when this happened in GWX 2.1, these forums were spammed with the issue.

To correct the issue, firstly I would suggest an examination of the flottila.cfg of the base GWX version & Flotilla mod (& campaign_LND.mis - not sure about this one) version. See if any of the dates differ for the ports in question.

Secondly, a MD5 check of your GWX install files. Just to be safe.

Lastly, SH3's message system is rather odd. A 'rollback' to a previous save or disabling a MOD usually will not prevent SH3 spamming you with the same info. You get the same occurance when you receive the 'Your base has been changed to X' popup. Perhaps a test would be to create a new career near the same date and see if they re-occur.
Old 04-20-09, 08:14 AM   #7
tenakha
Bosun

Downloads: 10

In order to avoid this problem, during your first patrol, on the 4th of august 1939, you will receive a message advising players of the 7th flotilla to return to koningsberg and then transfer to either the 2nd or 1st flotilla, so your second patrol should not be from the 7th.

The fisrt time i started a carrier in GWX 3.0 I had the exact same problem you described, using the above mensionned work around is in my limited knowledge the only way, you of course have the possiblity to transfer back to the 7th flotilla before your third patrol (that's what I did).
Capital ship sunk: HMS Victorious; HMS Royal Oak
days at sea: 384, tonnage: 823138/54000

GWX 3.0 user
tenakha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 08:47 AM   #8
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenakha View Post
In order to avoid this problem, during your first patrol, on the 4th of august 1939, you will receive a message advising players of the 7th flotilla to return to koningsberg and then transfer to either the 2nd or 1st flotilla, so your second patrol should not be from the 7th.

Never made that transfer and never got any problems with that I can tell..
Old 04-20-09, 04:00 PM   #9
Crunch Troll
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenakha View Post
That is what I did to get around the issue. Since I was patrolling AO98 (in the arch to the west of Konigsberg, containing Danzig), I had to kill a couple of days (patrol started Aug 01 and took less than 6 hours to reach my patrol area). Once the message came, I returned to port and did the transfer.

Quote:
The fisrt time i started a carrier in GWX 3.0 I had the exact same problem you described, using the above mensionned work around is in my limited knowledge the only way, you of course have the possiblity to transfer back to the 7th flotilla before your third patrol (that's what I did).
I will be transferring back to the 7th soon as I like St. Nazaire compared to the other French ports. But likely not before the Type IXs are available to 2nd.
Old 04-20-09, 04:10 PM   #10
Crunch Troll
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlisa View Post
Hi.

Yes, this Bug was caught in GWX 2.1, however, that was for Memel/Kiel.

The cause of this were the flotilla entry\exit dates for the 2 ports in question being in conflict with each other, thus putting SH3 in a loop.
That is what I figured based on the threads I read from GWX 2.1 and since I could find no threads for GWX 3.0.

Quote:
In your instance it sounds like a conflict between Konigs & Kiel however, as you are the first to report this issue with GWX Gold, I must assume a file conflict with an enabled mod, corrupt file or an unchanged line in the Alternate Flotillas mod.
Again, that is what I figured.

Quote:
Believe me, when this happened in GWX 2.1, these forums were spammed with the issue.
Knowing gamers, I think that is a bit of an understatement of what happened.

Quote:
To correct the issue, firstly I would suggest an examination of the flottila.cfg of the base GWX version & Flotilla mod (& campaign_LND.mis - not sure about this one) version. See if any of the dates differ for the ports in question.
I do not write code for anything (even though I do computer technical support) but in my limited knowledge I should be able to view the code using something as simple as Notepad.

Quote:
Secondly, a MD5 check of your GWX install files. Just to be safe.
Did that when I downloaded the files but used the md5 text file included. Heck I even read the installation instructions before I downloaded the expansion. But I should check using the md5 values on the GWX page.

Quote:
Lastly, SH3's message system is rather odd. A 'rollback' to a previous save or disabling a MOD usually will not prevent SH3 spamming you with the same info. You get the same occurance when you receive the 'Your base has been changed to X' popup. Perhaps a test would be to create a new career near the same date and see if they re-occur.
That is a thought. I have another career going (started in the 2nd where I transferred to for my primary career. Go figure.) But do have a generic, unused 'Player' setup (for another SH3 issue) I could use as a test.
Old 04-21-09, 02:09 AM   #11
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunch Troll View Post
I do not write code for anything (even though I do computer technical support) but in my limited knowledge I should be able to view the code using something as simple as Notepad.
Yep, the Flotilla.cfg & Campaign_LND.mis are advanced text files, so Notepad/Wordpad will open them.

To make the task a little easier, there are comparison programs available which will highlight/list the differences between two files. An example of this is Beyond Compare, there are also freeware versions around.
Old 03-21-13, 05:07 PM   #12
DeadlyWolf
Sailor man

Downloads: 11

Sorry for the thread necromancy but the problem is still there.
I tried to eliminate the alternative flottillas, I tried to start in September..the same results as above, an infinite spam of messages.
You are forced to dock and lose almost all the first month of the war.

Here's my mod list.
DeadlyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-13, 03:05 PM   #13
DeadlyWolf
Sailor man

Downloads: 11

Update: It doesn't even work when you transfer to Kiel. You still get the infinite messages of the home base being switched :|
I guess this is an unresolved bug of GWX. The only way to play the 7th is to trasfer to another flottilla and then transfer back afet the 1st of September.
DeadlyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-13, 08:50 AM   #14
ATLeow
Swabbie

Downloads: 26

I've had this issue with other aspects of the GWX campaign. My solution for you would be to transfer away from the 7th/13th like the campaign tells you to do.
ATLeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-13, 06:30 AM   #15
machiavelli
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

The people experiencing this issue. Could you enable your mods then look in the flotilla.cfg file in Cfg folder in data folder? Look for the 7th flotilla and ensure there is no overlapping of the dates for the bases.