SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-14, 01:50 PM   #211
Fahnenbohn
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 155
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94 View Post
can anyone tell at which shore is raising the highest mountain in sh3's world ?
I discovered the problem when I was sailing near the Greenland coast, but I guess Norway is also a good place, or near Genoa.
Old 10-09-14, 06:33 AM   #212
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahnenbohn View Post
OK, problem solved for me. It took me only ten seconds. I've changed the width and height of the fog model : 120 % of the original (taking in account the sky's dimensions), and +20 for the height.

Before :

After :

I guess you did the same?
yes , i also redesigned the fog model but i changed only the height of the model. i will suggest you not to change the diameter of fog's model becuase doing so will break the visual settings at sensors (in case that you use my settings) or may see the clouds vanishing in front of the land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN1 View Post
Hi guys,

could you please describe in more detail what you have done so that others can also fix their files? That would be really great! Thanks!

Regards, LGN1
hi LGN1,
there will be a v4.4 as i have to slightly change the fog's colors becuase of the highest model so you will be able to access the files

Quote:
I discovered the problem when I was sailing near the Greenland coast, but I guess Norway is also a good place, or near Genoa.
at this time i have doubled the height of fog model only for testing the effect on issue . now, i want to see the minimum that we have to raise it in order all mountains to be covered thats why i am asking for the highest mountain at shore and make the final model for fog.
you said that you noticed the problem at greenland coast,can you be more specific ? (greenland is ...huge)

the best would be to find the highest mountain at shore.from game files , does anyone has any idea where to look at ?

edit: i am looking now at Hornelen and Cape Enniberg to find out if they are modeled in game

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods

Last edited by makman94; 10-09-14 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-09-14, 07:30 PM   #213
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Just wanting to see if the weird conning tower reflection has anything to do with MEP? Using the latest version.

Back in the Day

Last edited by ReallyDedPoet; 10-09-14 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-10-14, 04:28 AM   #214
Fahnenbohn
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
yes , i also redesigned the fog model but i changed only the height of the model. i will suggest you not to change the diameter of fog's model because doing so will break the visual settings at sensors (in case that you use my settings) or may see the clouds vanishing in front of the land.
I had not thought of that ...
Old 10-10-14, 05:14 AM   #215
Fahnenbohn
Ace of the Deep

I've found very high mountains near the chilean cost.

edit : For the picture above, I've used a fog's model with only its height modified, and it was enough to cover the whole mountain at Hornelen and Cape Enniberg.

Last edited by Fahnenbohn; 10-10-14 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-10-14, 05:19 AM   #216
Fahnenbohn
Ace of the Deep

Still, I wonder ... Why didn't we have this problem with the 16 km atmosphere ?
Old 10-10-14, 05:42 AM   #217
Fahnenbohn
Ace of the Deep

I still think that we must extend the fog's model. Here a comparison between GWX and your mod :

GWX :

Manos :

And the two versions :

Do you see ? There is a difference in width (between sky and fog) between GWX and your mod ...

The advantage of my solution is that you do not have to worry about the fog's model's height, and don't have to change the fog's color.
Old 10-10-14, 02:28 PM   #218
makman94
Hellas

i will reply you tomorrow with details-pics from my tests. as i allready told the 16 km 3d models(tested NYGM enviro,GWX 16km enviro ,OLC mkiid 16 km enviro and MEP v2.1 enviro) also have the discussed 'problem' (as the 20 km models as well). did you check the 16 km models and you find them ok ?

as for enlarging the fog model :
the 20 km models were born back then by just enlarging the 16km models. this is not so simple as it sounds becuase it 'created' some issues at parts that were ok at 16km. the main problems were that ,by just rescale the existing 16km models, this had the effect the models to be enlarged analogicaly to all dimensions and this changed their 'origin center' point of models. the result by just 'following' the models dimensions were that the fog was cutted at the upper level (see the pic at the OP between the v3 and v4 of mod) and also were also some issues at the sun and moon models which were not moving smoothly between the clouds and the sky models.
thats why i rescaled and moved in v4 the clouds and the fog models(so don't look for analogies in MEP's 3d models).
the models in v4 has the abillity to reach visuals at about 26250m(!) by simply enlarging the fog and clouds models. i reduced the fog to this specific diameter becuase i noticed at my tests that if ship is at greater than 20 km distance is very hard for our eyes to see it through an x7 zoom at binoculars or uzo so i made my mind back then to set the fog there. all other settings at visuals were adjusted there,and with the H.Sie Night fix vision(that i explain at readme files how to set it in MEP v4) in order to avoid the effect the crew to spot a ship which is not vissible to you and vise versa.
the problem that you noticed is caused by the height of fog and can be very easily healed by just redesigning the height of fog. the other way that you say,enlarging the diameter too will need (at least from my part) exauhsting tests and readjustments at visuals and fod distances parameters which i don't have the will to get into again.
the colors at fog is not a necessity (i will show also pics tomorrow) , i just want to readjust them just for aesthetic reasons becuase the fog is more noticable becuase of its height.

about the height of fog:
in your tests, you found out that a +20% at fog's height is enough to cover the issue ?
run this mission here(it is jsgme ready):
http://speedy.sh/RccjH/Enniberg.rar
in single missions you will find a mission called 'Enniberg'.in this mission your boat is approaching Enniberg (754m above sea) ,tell me if a +20% at the height of your fog model healed the issue.
i will check the location that you pointed and see what my results will be.

till tomorrow,
all the best

Old 10-10-14, 02:40 PM   #219
makman94
Hellas

at your pic , i see the spoken fog upper line (can you recheck it? at my tests so far , i have the impression that a 'generous' increase at fog's height is necessery):

Old 10-10-14, 02:49 PM   #220
makman94
Hellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyDedPoet View Post
Just wanting to see if the weird conning tower reflection has anything to do with MEP? Using the latest version.
No, this is not caused from MEP's files.

seems that your conning tower reflection model is displaced in its dat file

Old 10-10-14, 02:53 PM   #221
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
No, this is not caused from MEP's files.

seems that your conning tower reflection model is displaced in its dat file
Funny, I have been trying it with a few other environment mods and I have not had that type of reflection. I came across a thread by Flakmonkey last night,
basically giving you the option to disable certain reflections via various .dat files with S3D.

Thanks for the response

Back in the Day

Old 10-10-14, 04:12 PM   #222
Fahnenbohn
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
as i allready told the 16 km 3d models(tested NYGM enviro,GWX 16km enviro ,OLC mkiid 16 km enviro and MEP v2.1 enviro) also have the discussed 'problem' (as the 20 km models as well). did you check the 16 km models and you find them ok ?
Yes, I suspected that the models of GWX could cause the same problem, but since my expanded model solved the problem, I have not checked this possibility.

Quote:
the models in v4 has the abillity to reach visuals at about 26250m(!) by simply enlarging the fog and clouds models. i reduced the fog to this specific diameter becuase i noticed at my tests that if ship is at greater than 20 km distance is very hard for our eyes to see it through an x7 zoom at binoculars or uzo so i made my mind back then to set the fog there.
So, you don't need to change sensors' parameters if the fog's model is enlarged !

Quote:
in your tests, you found out that a +20% at fog's height is enough to cover the issue ?
My fog's model was not +20% but only +20 (with Wings 3D 1.5.2). In fact, with my tests, the mountain was not totally covered, but almost. Here's a picture so you can make the comparison (height is given by the Mission Editor) :

Regards
Old 10-10-14, 04:46 PM   #223
Fahnenbohn
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
at your pic , i see the spoken fog upper line (can you recheck it? at my tests so far , i have the impression that a 'generous' increase at fog's height is necessery)
Another pic at the same place :
Old 10-10-14, 05:09 PM   #224
Fahnenbohn
Ace of the Deep

As I never encountered the discussed problem before, I've checked the 16 km version with GWX 3.0. Well, near the chilean cost, I don't have such a problem with fog. The mountains disappear as with my enlarged fog model.

So, if you don't want to resize the fog's model, you have another solution : resizing the sky's model to make it closer to the fog's model !
Old 10-11-14, 01:01 PM   #225
makman94
Hellas

Quote:
Still, I wonder ... Why didn't we have this problem with the 16 km atmosphere ?
You are confusing me Fahnenbohn and it is getting hard for me to follow you. you say here that 16 km models are ok , later you say:
Quote:
Yes, I suspected that the models of GWX could cause the same problem, but since my expanded model solved the problem, I have not checked this possibility.
..so , i am understanding from the above that you haven't checked the stock gwx-16km models yet.
later you post:
Quote:
As I never encountered the discussed problem before, I've checked the 16 km version with GWX 3.0. Well, near the chilean cost, I don't have such a problem with fog. The mountains disappear as with my enlarged fog model.
now, you say that you checked gwx -16 km and find them ok. you are saying that 16 km models are ok as well as your fog model or no?

here is my results from the tests of 16 km models (you will see that they have absolutely the same behaviour and this is normal as all 16km enviro mods are sharing the same models at their files ):

the issue is more or less noticable between the mods becuase of their colors but the issue is there exactly at the same height for all enviros (which is logical if you consider that they are sharing the same 3d models). in fact , because of its colors , the gwx - 16 km has the worst behaviour for the spoken issue .
are you sure that you had enabled the gwx-16km Atmosphere mod and that the mission that you were running had excellent vissibility state at the weather ?

Closed Thread