SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-20-10, 08:19 PM   #316
Seminole
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 0

So now..what is the general consensus on MFM and GWX?

I've begun playing GWX after relearning SHIII on my highly modded 1.4b install.

While I think MFM has been one of the greatest additions to the sim ever and it worked on 1.4b for me without a hitch.... I'm a little concerned after reading the "GWX with MFM" posts above.

There is quite a variety of ships in GWX already and they look super. I would still like to have those MFM ships on line too...but not at the risk of screwing up my install.

Is it worth the risk? Are you able to remove MFM if problems are encountered? (and get your installation back to a pre-MFM state)
Old 07-21-10, 12:39 PM   #317
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275

@Seminole

My guess is if you use JSGME to enable MFM then if you disable it using the same all should be fine. Hope this helps mate.

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner
Fubar2Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-10, 01:43 PM   #318
Seminole
Ace of the Deep

Default I

.....well...that was my guess too...however...I was hoping for a statement a little more concrete....

Some of the posts above seemed to imply that this may not be the case.
Old 07-21-10, 04:59 PM   #319
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
.....well...that was my guess too...however...I was hoping for a statement a little more concrete....

Some of the posts above seemed to imply that this may not be the case.
I could be crazy, but twice now I've used JSGME to install MFM, and after I still suffered crashes removed it. And twice I've still suffered crashes, and upon looking discovered that all the folders were still in the Sea folder. And twice I've dumped and re-installed the entire game. I don't know why that should be, as that is very unusual for JSGME.

With all the mods I use I keep a very careful list of exactly what I have installed and in what order.

Just thought you'd like to know.
Old 07-21-10, 05:15 PM   #320
Seminole
Ace of the Deep

....probably just as well that I did not see your response first ....'cause I took the plunge already.

My experience...wiped out my current career...but no big deal. ...it was mid patrol...and refused to reload from the save.

So...I started another career and played 1st Flot. out of Kiel in '39.

No problems at all. I sank one 9000 heavy freighter from GWX and a 4700 MO2X from MFM. (even after accidentily wasting one torp..) So both ship types are in play and working.

I noticed no files were overwriiten as JSGME placed them into play so I would have to say that the mod could easily be removed with no lasting changes.

For me the mod is worth the risk of a try. Not only for the ships but the fact that now many "neutrals" are up to shenanigans and need to be ferreted out. I didn't like that much with 1.4b with colored icons. But with GWX all grey icons it ads a big new demension in the game. Especially the early war. Someone mentioned that to me. They were right.

Final verdict...If my saved game reloads(and I have no reason to believe it won't) then I will be more than happy with MFM and GWX together.

Yes ...Steve...all the folders for the ships are in the SEA Folder.....and JSGME puts the current skins into the Main SHIII Folder. It did this for 1.4b and GWX versions. I thought that was the way it was supposed to work. Is it not? I never had any crashes with MFM so I just figured this was the way it worked.
Old 07-21-10, 06:26 PM   #321
caymanlee
Medic

Downloads: 32

try so many times and so many way, can't download the files, any idea?
caymanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 01:59 AM   #322
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Quote:
.it was mid patrol...and refused to reload from the save.
A rule to follow is never add or remove a mod if you are not in port. You might get away with it if it is just a graphics mod but, you sure won't if it involves other files. You will get a CTD every time.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 07:56 AM   #323
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

@ Seminole: I'm glad it's working properly for you. I wish it was for me, and I assume at this point it's my old computer. I've put so much into including names for those ships, and I may never get to see them.
Old 07-22-10, 08:06 AM   #324
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Doesn't work for me either, and it's not an old computer

Unless anyone can give a foolproof method of getting it to work?

Although I've not given up, clean 1.4b + GWX + MFM tonight and a '39 start - we'll see

Oh, and we really do appreciate the ships names, even without MFM!!!!
Old 07-22-10, 02:07 PM   #325
Seminole
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
Doesn't work for me either, and it's not an old computer

Unless anyone can give a foolproof method of getting it to work?

Although I've not given up, clean 1.4b + GWX + MFM tonight and a '39 start - we'll see

Oh, and we really do appreciate the ships names, even without MFM!!!!

I don't know about foolproof but all I have ever done was extract to JSGME's Mod folder, the ships,then the 1st skin pack, and the second skinpack. Then enabled each one. Only thing I had to pay attention too was making certain each part of the mod had enough time to extract and be enabled. They are huge files and take a few moments to complete.

Only downside I have encountered so far is an immensley increased load time for saves.

Another thing I did was to install the 4mb SH3.exe to allow the sim to deal with all this extra baggage.
Old 07-22-10, 02:12 PM   #326
Seminole
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW3 View Post
A rule to follow is never add or remove a mod if you are not in port. You might get away with it if it is just a graphics mod but, you sure won't if it involves other files. You will get a CTD every time.

...I'm never one to follow rules just for the sake of following rules. As I said or at least meant to imply...was that I expected this to happen.

I wanted to start a new career anyway and this was as good an excuse as any. I was only on my 4th patrol in that career. No big loss.

But you are right. If you want to protect your career wait until you dock.
Old 07-23-10, 07:25 PM   #327
Seminole
Ace of the Deep

The enhanced explosion effects are not as spectacular on the MFM ships as they are on the "stock" GWX ships.

Is there any chance that a file (or files) from the stock ships could be imported into each of the MFM ships so they will display the enhanced effects?

You Know... something not to difficult we could do ourselves...sort of a DYI job for we who are moddingly challenged.

After all..I'm seeing more MFM ships than stock ships at a rate of about 3:1.
Old 07-23-10, 10:37 PM   #328
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
Yes ...Steve...all the folders for the ships are in the SEA Folder.....and JSGME puts the current skins into the Main SHIII Folder. It did this for 1.4b and GWX versions. I thought that was the way it was supposed to work. Is it not? I never had any crashes with MFM so I just figured this was the way it worked.
I'm sorry I missed this earlier. What was unusual was not that the files were in the Sea folder (that is where they belong), but that when I disabled the mod in JSGME the files were not removed. They stayed there, and kept causing the crashing problems.
Old 07-24-10, 09:05 AM   #329
Seminole
Ace of the Deep

That is unusual that JSGME did not remove them. Did the MFM overwrite anything when you applied them? Mine went in clean, overwritting nothing. Of course that is as it should be. MFM alters nothing and only adds the ships.

I've found it best to have JSGME set to Rollback on Exit.

In the past I have forgotten to do a rollback..added something with JSGME and confused it all to heck. Sometimes beyond redemption...
Old 07-24-10, 11:23 AM   #330
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

No, I have it set to Auto-Rollback. As I said, it's never happened before. I don't see how it could be the mod itself, I just don't understand why it did that.

Oh well, I'm happy enough for the time being, and I get to see some of the ships in SH4.