SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-28-08, 03:37 PM   #361
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Hello,
first thanks for this phantastic mod - really a new sim ! And yes you documented the changes quite well, but you are sure OLCE or the GUI do not interfere with the GWX 2.1 mod, and its recent "GWX_2.1_Minor_bugfixs_26til.7z" update ?

What i did - and all worked:
1. Installed SH3 and latest patch, ran it once.
2. Installed SH3 Commander.
3. Installed JSGME in SH3 commander.
4. Installed GWX 2.0, JSGME installed itself automatically, together with some mods that could be enabled via JSGME.
5. Installed GWX 2.1 update.
6. Installed "GWX_2.1_Minor_bugfixs_26til.7z" update.

Then i enabled some mods that were put into the mods folder from GWX automatically, and the lifeboat mod.

Now i copied OLCE2 (part1) into the mod folder, and the GUI version also (part2), and wanted to enable both.
I found out, or better JSGME told me, that there were some files already changed by the GWX minor update (the last one), and if i wanted to overwrite them.
Apart from the warnings, which i ignored (overwrite yes), the sim starts with SH3 commander and works, i am only not able to roll it back JSGME-wise because of the multiple overwrites.

Before i try a new installation: Do i need the Double mast file, or is it included in OLCE and the GUI files ?
Does the OLCE Ubermod really contain the OLC GUI, or is it another GUI version ?

Thanks a lot and greetings,
Catfish

Last edited by Catfish; 04-28-08 at 03:51 PM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 03:48 PM   #362
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish
Now i copied OLCE2 (part1) into the mod folder, and the GUI version also (part2), and wanted to enable both.
I found out, or better JSGME told me, that there were some files already changed by the GWX minor update (the last one), and if i wanted to overwrite them.
Which files were in conflict, according to JSGME?
Old 04-28-08, 03:58 PM   #363
Catfish

Hi,
it complained about almost all - the only ones that were not mentioned were the "merged campaign", the "no medals" and another one.
Files already changed were in any case the 16 km mod, the extended tools one, and most others - including the last update for the GWX 2.1 update, the basic update one with the new locks and minor fixes "GWX_2.1_Minor_bugfixs_26til.7z".
I did not activate the indian ocean, the black sea and the late war sensor mod for obvious reasons.

I will test it once again thoroughly, and report (if tomorrow) only thing i need to know before i try a new installation:
Do i need the Double mast file, or is it included in OLCE and the GUI files ?
Does the OLCE Ubermod really contain the OLC GUI, or is it another GUI version ?

Thanks and greetings,
Catfish
Old 04-28-08, 04:04 PM   #364
Samwolf
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Hi,
it complained about almost all - the only ones that were not mentioned were the "merged campaign", the "no medals" and another one.
Files already changed were in any case the 16 km mod, the extended tools one, and most others - including the last update for the GWX 2.1 update, the basic update one with the new locks and minor fixes "GWX_2.1_Minor_bugfixs_26til.7z".
I did not activate the indian ocean, the black sea and the late war sensor mod for obvious reasons.

I will test it once again thoroughly, and report (if tomorrow) only thing i need to know before i try a new installation:

Thanks and greetings,
Catfish
Don't enable the GWX 16km Mod id you're using OLCE2. OLCE2 is a replacement for the entire GWX 16km Mod.

GWX 3, JSGME 2.3, Sh3 Commander 3.2 SH3 Gen 8.1, Water Stream for U-boats, LRT LITE 2.0, Lifeboats for SH3

Samwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 04:15 PM   #365
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks and greetings,
Catfish
I see.
Post 1 answers all of your questions.
Old 04-28-08, 04:37 PM   #366
Catfish

Hello,
thanks, read and understood. I must have had a problem 1ith 123 and 1.6 also. Will check back tomorrow, any way it looks phantastic and i am really looking forward to it.

B.t.w. where did you get the information of how targeting was done on the german U-boats ? I have read quite some books, but never got the info you used here
Only thing now missing is storing different target setups (up to four targets, one for every t.) in the electro-mechanical torpedo circuits.

Greetings,
Catfish
Old 04-28-08, 06:03 PM   #367
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

@OLC

I'm using 1.6 and have just spent 11 days in BE sighting or detecting not a single ship. So i'm curious....what conditions would cause the watch crew sensors to be blind to ships ? Also, i'm loath to installing mods whilst not in port so tell me, is it okay to upgrade to 1.7 whilst on patrol ? The alternative, if my crew are indeed blind, is to abandon my WaW patrol and start it again
Old 04-28-08, 06:14 PM   #368
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Gruber
@OLC

I'm using 1.6 and have just spent 11 days in BE sighting or detecting not a single ship. So i'm curious....what conditions would cause the watch crew sensors to be blind to ships ? Also, i'm loath to installing mods whilst not in port so tell me, is it okay to upgrade to 1.7 whilst on patrol ? The alternative, if my crew are indeed blind, is to abandon my WaW patrol and start it again
They're not that blind! But I understand why you asked.
The answer is: it's the aspect ratio (whether an enemy ship is facing you or is sideways to you).
- In 1.6, in excellent visibility for example, your crew will spot a ship at 16km if it is showing some profile. But if it is perfectly facing you then they won't spot it until maybe 12-14km (depending on other factors). So...
- In 1.7 I've fixed this and now they have perfect visibility at all times. Whatever the NO reports as visibility distance, that's what distance they'll spot at, every time! Also, within that distance they will maintain a perfect "lock" on every ship, so no more repeated "ship spotted" messages over and over when a convoy is near - but not actually on - the edge of visual range. All of this is great IMO except for one thing: at night your watch crew are a bit too uber (no pun intended) so...
- In 1.8 I'll be reducing the watch crew night vision just a little.

As an aside... I originally wanted to stay away from sensors but now I'm quite glad I ended up delving into them, as it looks like I'll be able to get visual sensors exactly as I wanted them (something I've never had, and never attempted to do before because sensors have such a reputation for being difficult to mod).
Old 04-28-08, 06:16 PM   #369
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
B.t.w. where did you get the information of how targeting was done on the german U-boats ?
Hitman!
Old 04-28-08, 10:01 PM   #370
Graf Paper
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 2

Yet again you manage to astound and amaze me with your skills, OLC! Awesome work!

Some real-world things demanded my attention for a while but I'm back in the saddle again and hope to have some work of my own done very soon.
Old 04-28-08, 11:02 PM   #371
KptLt Lindemann
Loader

Downloads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
The answer is: it's the aspect ratio (whether an enemy ship is facing you or is sideways to you).
- In 1.6, in excellent visibility for example, your crew will spot a ship at 16km if it is showing some profile. But if it is perfectly facing you then they won't spot it until maybe 12-14km (depending on other factors). So...
Indeed...in my last patrol I had shells hitting the water around me and the watch crew spotted nothing (in excellent visibility)! Turned out it was a DD coming straight at me. I thought they were just having a Bernard moment.
KptLt Lindemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 11:18 PM   #372
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Thanks GP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KptLt Lindemann
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
Indeed...in my last patrol I had shells hitting the water around me and the watch crew spotted nothing (in excellent visibility)! Turned out it was a DD coming straight at me. I thought they were just having a Bernard moment.
Yah, sorry about that
In 1.7 your watch crew will if be, if anything, a bit too uber, seeing anything and everything with 100% accuracy. On a clear day (or night) they'll spot a Sloop the second it gets within 16,000m of your boat... but at least they won't get you killed! I'm fine-tuning these settings for 1.8, to get at least a little bit of a "grey area" in which the crew might or might not spot an enemy, while still maintaining a sharp crew who will spot anything which is plainly visible to the player.
Old 04-29-08, 05:36 AM   #373
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
They're not that blind! But I understand why you asked.
Phew...the last 11 days haven't been in vain then, the brits must be on prolonged tea break.

So can I update to 1.7 mid patrol ? If not then i'll stay with 1.6 till end of current WaW patrol and take the risk with low profile shipping.

Good luck with the sensor work, if beery was still around i'm sure he'd be able to give you some valuable insight. You might want to mine the NYGM threads as there was a great deal of discussion re sensors quite a while back.
Old 04-29-08, 07:23 AM   #374
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Gruber
So can I update to 1.7 mid patrol ? If not then i'll stay with 1.6 till end of current WaW patrol and take the risk with low profile shipping.
You should be OK to enable it mid patrol. All that changed was some cfg files IIRC.
Old 04-29-08, 07:40 AM   #375
Catfish

Hi,
as far as i understand the new 1.7 GUI does not need the double mast exe files to work ? In the new (short) tutorial mast height is normal (1x) again.
Good tutorials b.t.w. - thanks - so much better to just see it !
I take it there's no way to program different torpedoes with different target solution settings with SH3, but the attack disk is nice - and it is really "original" ?
The UZO had no other purpose (as you said) than sending the current direction of view to the "computer" (if you would call it so), thus adding or substracting it from the boats course, transmitted by the gyocompass.
I wonder if this thing was stabilized, but i doubt it. Is there any internet site dealing with WW2 targeting and german boats ?
Thanks and greetings,
Catfish