SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-14-16, 03:33 PM   #1
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Default Need some good advise on some good simulations game

As you may know I have bought a new computer with a little stronger graphic and CPU

So does anyone of you have advice to a good simulationsgame that a medium strong graphic card and medium to strong CPU can handle without getting lags.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-16, 04:33 PM   #2
VirtualVikingX
Captain

Downloads: 40

Have you tried the Arma series?

Sent from my iPhone so pardon any autocorrect bollocks
VirtualVikingX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-16, 05:14 PM   #3
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

No

Can you tell me more about this game or type of game ?

Markus
Old 07-14-16, 08:32 PM   #4
macjim
Sailor man

Downloads: 23
Default ARMA

I thought everyone knew.

ARMA is a military virtual simulator. You may control a soldier from the first person point of view or control groups of AI soldiers from any vantage point. There is a multitude of weapons and vehicles available that can be used over many different maps. These maps (or islands) are virtual worlds that vary in size, some as large as 1600 km sq. As a player you can can pick up and use items, put them in their backpacks, change clothing, use earplugs, flashlights, flares, smoke grenades, enter buildings, drive or ride in vehicles, fly planes, climb, crawl, lean, squat, use handsignals, bleed, punch, stab, carry and drag other players, eat, drink, go deaf, get fatigued

Best of all is the interaction between other players your voice is 3d situational which enables you to shout or whisper to those who are close enough to hear. Radios can enable longer range comms and objects and terrain may interfere with reception and transmission.

Maps are scaled and representative . Constellations are useful. Moon light is variable and linked to the date.

Players can make their own maps or worlds, mods and missions. The editing features are fairly versatile.

Never heard of ARMA ... interesting. Google that.

Old 07-15-16, 03:26 AM   #5
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

For modern aircraft and helos: DCS series

For WW1 aircraft: Rise of Flight (free version comes with 3 planes)
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-16, 04:21 AM   #6
VirtualVikingX
Captain

Downloads: 40
Default Need some good advise on some good simulationsgame

In Arma you can also control vehicles, airplanes, helicopters and all other sorts of military equipment like mortars. The list is endless. The fidelity/challenge can also be a pretty high.

Some screenshots:

Sent from my iPhone so pardon any autocorrect bollocks
VirtualVikingX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-16, 10:48 AM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Tanks, mechanised warfare 1950s-present: Steel Beasts Pro 3.0/4.0. See tanksim subsection in this forum, two threads there, one stickied info thread, one new on upcoming version 4.0. Serious simulation, hardcore. Its training tool in over one dozen Western armies. Challenge lies in tactics. Interface is easy to learn, mission is difficult to master. Be prepared to die a lot. - One of the best simulations I have ever come across in the past 25 years, and the dominator in its field since over 15 years.

Simulation-heavy driving, I mean: really realistic physics: Assetto Corsa. Persoinally, I also like Raceroom Racing, wich is a bit more laid back on physics, but also has many strengths. AC was the first simulator doing a lasersacanned Nordschleife. - This title is my primary PC activity today.

The flightsims of DCS.

Prepar3D 3.0

Still so: Falcon 4.0 .

ArmA
is a very nice infantry simulator. But the vehicles are terrible, awful, and hopelessly unrealistic. Best used as an infantry-only simulator.

Personally I still play The Hunter, but the business model is not for everybody. Yes, its a hunting sim.The best there is. -

Fallout 4
and Skyrim may not be sims, but I cannot leave without mentioning them. Maybe the two most-played games in my history. Open World themes just are my thing.

Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm
is a classic hex-field cosim - and a very well-done, complex and "realistic" one - but also: a very lethal one. Nicely depicts how potentially devastating a Sowjet onslaught durign the cold war would have been in Germany, I never believed that NATO would have easily stopped it. These old hexfield cosims somehow just have something about them. Sovjet artillery and helicopters this game will teach you to fear. - Not to be mistaken with Operation Flashpoint, which was before ArmA.

This is Subnautica. -
Link: Subsim Thread

And finally - don't laugh - Tennis. A PC without a chess program and a tennis game simply is not complete. And Tennis Elbow 2013 is easily the most realistic and superior tennis simulation that has ever been done so far. The lloks are a bit aged, but the gameplay trumps that of any other tennis title. On Steam, for little money. Play it with mouse - and learn to appreciate how intuitive and diverse ball control options are.

Last edited by Skybird; 07-15-16 at 11:34 AM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-16, 12:53 PM   #8
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Thank you all for your excellent advice to what type of game there is, that a medium graphic card can handle

I'm been looking into some game type, lets start with the non-aggressive game type(the game itself, if some player have a short fuse that's another story)

Eurotruck
http://www.eurotrucksimulator2.com/

Some kind of Farming
https://www.farming-simulator.com/

Next in line is these type of first person shooter game
Haven't really decided what I want. I have Far Cry 1 and 2. MOH, COD and some other FPS war game laying on my shell
Are mostly looking for a FPS during WWI(will be my first ever), WWII and modern warfare

Flight Sim during my computer life I had some of these both military and civilian-Here I'm looking mostly after military game I have been looking into this-"Rise of Flight" I have never played a flight sim with old WWI plane so it looks interesting. -Before I purchase such game I need to find a good joystick

So here it's
Rise of Flight
Falcon 4.0

This Arma war game looks like my old Battlefield Midway.

Markus
Old 07-15-16, 01:19 PM   #9
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Occasionally an ETS2 trucker myself, I remind you there is an alternative now, American Truck Simulator. For the li'l difference. - ETS is nice, a relaxed, laid-back experience, good for recreation.

If you like ETS/ATS, consider OMSI 2 plus X10 Berlin addon. Most realistic bus simulator there is. Setting it up correctly can be a bit rough an experience, but the realism is superb. I lived in West-Berlin of that time, i know those busses and even the lines - I even can identify the flat where my old dentist was located. Physics, sounds, handliung and recognition value of the environment are superb. - Track IR recommended, also for ETS/ATS.
Old 07-15-16, 03:40 PM   #10
Oubaas
Frogman

Downloads: 65

+1 for DCS World

+1 for Rise of Flight

IL2: Cliffs of Dover with the Team Fusion mods and SweetFX is very nice.

+1 for ArmA II and ArmA III

+1 for Eurotruck Simulator and American Truck Simulator, and for training to drive the big rigs, I also like Scania Truck Simulator.

+1 for OMSI 2.

IL2: Battle of Stalingrad and Battle of Moscow are both very nice if you don't mind flying Russian (or German) aircraft.

Train Simulator 2016 is amazing if you like trains and don't mind investing in DLC.

Attila: Total War is shaping up to be quite amazing. I'd also plug Shogun 2 with all the DLC.

Codemaster's F1 20XX series is uniformly great, though F1 2013 Complete Edition is the best of the lot in my opinion.

Assetto Corsa is fun if you like to drive a variety of cars on tracks all over the world.

rFactor 2 is very good.

Dirt Rally is outstanding.

NASCAR '15 Victory Edition is a solid entry if you like to stand on it and turn left.

Automobilista is also great.

Wreckfest is a lot of fun is you're into the local track/demo derby type stuff.

Steel Beasts Pro PE is probably the best thing on tanks, though it is looking a little dated.

Prepar3D is very good if you like General Aviation.

And of course, the Silent Hunter series and all that, but if you're here, I'm assuming you know all that.

Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-16, 01:41 PM   #11
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Default Hey, Markus

The best thing for you to do is go to "Ebay", select 'Shop by category' then select 'Video Games', then 'PC Gaming (to the right of screen), which will then allow you to browse any game genre you want, just by clicking a button. This way you'll be able to browse through games of every kind and from way way back right up to the present. It's a very good way of discovering stuff you never even knew existed.

Happy hunting
Old 10-07-16, 10:01 AM   #12
VikingGrandad
Torpedoman

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Are mostly looking for a FPS during WWI(will be my first ever), WWII and modern warfare
For WWI, try VERDUN.
  • It's tactical trench warfare. Your team tries to cross No Man's Land to capture the other team's trench, then you try to defend it so they can't re-capture it, then you try to capture the next trench, and so on.
  • There are many different squad types for the Entente (France, UK, Canada, US, Belgian) and Central Powers (only German squad types so far).
  • There are snipers, deployable machine guns, squad leader commands (call in artillery strikes, gas attacks, reconnaissance aircraft patrols, smoke screens), flamethrowers, trenchguns (shotguns), grenades, melee weapons...
  • Realistic gameplay (usually one shot to kill or be killed).
  • It's a hard game but a very rewarding one if you persevere with it and learn the maps, weapons and tactics.
  • Very nice graphics too, especially the environments and weapons.

There's "Battlefield I" too, but that's a much more "arcade" interpretation of WW1 combat (it's more like a WW2 FPS with WW1 weapons).

-------------------

For WWII, maybe wait for these new games:

BATTALION 1944:

DAYS OF WAR:

TRACTION WARS:
http://www.tractionwars.com/

-------------------

For modern warfare, nothing beats multiplayer in Battlefield Bad Company 2.
  • It has perhaps the best gameplay of any multiplayer FPS!
  • Perfect maps - well-balanced, good variety - especially in 'Rush' mode (destroy the objectives)
  • Perfect mix of player classes and weapon/equipment loadouts. Enough choice but not a crazy number of options.
  • Graphics still look good enough, even though the game was released in 2010
  • Very nice sound effects
  • Shooting weapons has a realistic feeling

Last edited by VikingGrandad; 11-11-16 at 06:37 AM.
VikingGrandad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-16, 02:12 PM   #13
biosthetique
Lieutenant

Downloads: 652

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
As you may know I have bought a new computer with a little stronger graphic and CPU

So does anyone of you have advice to a good simulationsgame that a medium strong graphic card and medium to strong CPU can handle without getting lags.

Markus
As a rule of thumb, if simulating, you don't sweat, if you are not afraid, burn less than 1000 calories, don't hold the similar handles or grip of the weapon system simulated, don't get dirty or wet and very cold, moreover don't have an instructor in your headphones breathing down your neck to increase the pressure, this is not a simulator.

Now, if you are sitting comfortably in your living room on your smooth couch, eating a warm pizza with a warm beer, and you have a controller in your hands resting on your fat bear belly, and you are facing your tv flat screen with the "O" ring on your face, this is an X-Box.

Got to call a wildcat a wildcat!
biosthetique is offline   Reply With Quote