SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-18-10, 12:22 PM   #1
BLITZKRIEG4590
Swabbie

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default GWX 3.0 Crashes After Loading

Hopefully this is a good place to post this, Ive searched the forums and found nothing. For some reason right after I get done loading singleplayer, career, or multiplayer it crashes with a game has stopped working message.
Ive ran it without SH3 Commander and the problem still occurs.
Old 01-18-10, 12:56 PM   #2
moscowexile
Navy Dude

Downloads: 206

Which OS are you using? I bought a new rig just before Christmas with Windows 7 and that's been happening to me ever since. Vanilla SHIII seems to be working fine: it's the GWX3 I think, that may be the problem, especially when undertaking individual missions. I've tried all other supermods as well, and so far it seems that only LSH is compatible with W7. According to what I've found out browsing, you have to install a virtual XP program into W7. Problem is, this program is only downloadable into W7 Home Premium and upwards. My W7 that came with the computer is Home Basic.

(The lust for destruction is at the same time a creative lust.- Mikhail Bukhanin.)

Last edited by moscowexile; 01-19-10 at 06:33 AM.
moscowexile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-10, 02:56 PM   #3
Kaleun Cook
Chief

Downloads: 25

Funny, I just wanted to start a new thread about exactly this problem. But in my case several carreers worked fine - until a specific date, or so it seems. It is 1940. The last patrol in the end of 1939 worked fine, the next one in January 1940 will crash after loading.

Instead of discussing a crack, there is a method approved by SUBSIM and UBISOFT Check out the SH3 Stickies for the link. ( reallydedpoet-Moderator )

edit: The activated mods:

GWX - Lite Harbor Traffic
LifeBoats&Debris_v4
OLC's Modified Searchlight Beams for GWX3
WBNN Mission Orders Lite
Waterstream+Exhaust KombiMod V1.0
OLC 'Gold' MkII ~ Option 4 ~ Environment with EDE and GUI with LRT
OLC 'Gold' MkII ~ MkIId Update (Enable After MkIIc)
TMT v2
Q Ship mod GWX3.0

Last edited by ReallyDedPoet; 01-19-10 at 08:02 AM.
Kaleun Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-10, 05:28 PM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

This seems to only be happening to people using Windows 7. I'd focus my attention there.
Old 01-19-10, 06:47 AM   #5
moscowexile
Navy Dude

Sehr Geehrter Kapitän-Leutnant Cook,

What you have described is just what has been happening to me. A few weeks ago somebody asked on another thread if anyone was having problems with W7. I straightaway replied that everything was hunky-dory with me in this respect, for I had only just installed SHIII GWX3 into my new W7 rig.

I spoke too soon, because I had just started a 1939 career from Wilhelmshaven and was chugging around Helgoland at the time and I had also just slotted three eels into the unfortunate HMS Barham on a try-out of the individual missions and everything was running A1, or so it seemed to me at the time.

And then...CTD during patrols, CTD after 90% loading of a saved patrol, CTD at 90% loading an individual mission.

I've done everything that I can think of to get the game running as it had done before, everything apart from a compete system restoration. And I do not wish to do that because all my other games are running just fine, which games include SH4 RFB RSRD, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 1 & 2, Call of Duty World at War, Asssassin's Creed and Batman Arkham Asylum.

I am now seriously thinking of undertaking a dual operating system installation so that I can have Windows 7 and XP on my machine: I can see no other way out of this problem.

(The lust for destruction is at the same time a creative lust.- Mikhail Bukhanin.)
Old 01-19-10, 09:04 AM   #6
moscowexile
Navy Dude

reallydedpoet (moderator) wrote above:

"Instead of discussing a crack, there is a method approved by SUBSIM and UBISOFT Check out the SH3 Stickies for the link."

And that's what's really bugging me about this issue: I bought my SHIII in England 3 years ago. It's a genuine, Starforce free, 1.4b version.

I have come across a lengthy discussion about SHIII/W7 incompatibility on another forum, and the folks there are non too pleased with Ubisoft since that firm is still marketing SHIII and yet there seems to be a very serious issue concerning its playability in W7: the opinion has been voiced that Ubisoft should do something about this

Old 01-19-10, 10:58 AM   #7
Kaleun Cook
Chief

Well, I am no expert at all and admire the GWX-guys for their skills, but as a novice I would think this:

From 1940 on (later years don't work for me either) there's something loaded additionally that crashes everything. But what does change from December 1939 to January 1940?

Last edited by Kaleun Cook; 01-19-10 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-19-10, 12:19 PM   #8
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscowexile View Post
reallydedpoet (moderator) wrote above:

"Instead of discussing a crack, there is a method approved by SUBSIM and UBISOFT Check out the SH3 Stickies for the link."

And that's what's really bugging me about this issue: I bought my SHIII in England 3 years ago. It's a genuine, Starforce free, 1.4b version.

I have come across a lengthy discussion about SHIII/W7 incompatibility on another forum, and the folks there are non too pleased with Ubisoft since that firm is still marketing SHIII and yet there seems to be a very serious issue concerning its playability in W7: the opinion has been voiced that Ubisoft should do something about this
I'll forward this to Neal to see if he can find anything out regarding Windows 7 and the problem with SH3.

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 12:46 PM   #9
Kaleun Cook
Chief

Okay, back to the problem now because I'm sick of those four months long carreers. ;D
Old 01-19-10, 01:16 PM   #10
Kaleun Cook
Chief

I'm rather new to Windows 7, that's why I couldn't post the exact error code before. Now I found this:

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Application Error

- EventID 1000

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 100

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2010-01-19T18:02:27.000000000Z

EventRecordID 5505

Channel Application

Computer Saturn-PC

Security
- EventData

sh3.exe

sh3.exe

c0000005

000b9912

eb4

01ca993111c782cc

D:\Games\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\sh3.exe

D:\Games\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\sh3.exe

cd581c7c-0524-11df-84ca-002511ae2a50
Old 01-19-10, 03:20 PM   #11
Kaleun Cook
Chief

Update: Some possible solutions that I found in other forums but didn't help in my case:

- deleting older savegames (e.g. you're about to start patrol 6, deleting folders 0 to 4)

- installing the 4gbPatch that comes with LSH

- running the game in any compatibility mode or the administrator mode
Old 01-20-10, 03:54 PM   #12
Kaleun Cook
Chief

Quote:
According to what I've found out browsing, you have to install a virtual XP program into W7. Problem is, this program is only downloadable into W7 Home Premium and upwards.
Even worse: It has to be Win 7 Professional and upwards. My Home Premium 64 bit wasn't enough either.

I'd like to raise this question again: Is there anybode who could imagine what is being loaded into the game additionally from 1940 on that is not being loaded in 1939?

To explain the problem one more time:

Carrers in early war work fine in 1939. Also, if the patrol begins in 1939 and ends in 1940, there's no problem. But when the next patrol, BEGINNING in 1940, is loading, the game crashes at about 3/4 of the loading screen. Same happens to a fresh carrer starting in 1940 and all later years of the war.
Old 01-23-10, 03:31 PM   #13
Panser
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 43

I know it doesn't really help you guys who are having issues, but I'm not so sure that windows 7 is neccesarily the root of the problem. I'm running the game on both my desktop and a new laptop that I got three days ago. The only common denominator between the two systems is that they are both running on Windows 7 64, albeit different flavours. Everything else between the two setups differs.

Both have the same install procedure, which is as follows:
Install of Stock SH3 (then patched, if necessary) followed by GWX3 Gold and SH3Commander. Mods enabled in GWX are:
GWX 16km mod
GWX integrated orders
GWX enhanced damage effects
GWX no medals on crew
GWX open hatch mod
Lifeboats&Debris_v4

Desktop specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate Edition, 64bit
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, (quad core, 2.4GHz)
4GB RAM
Geforce 8800 with v191.07 nvidia drivers
Steam install of game
Desktop resolution: 1280x1024

Laptop specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit (OEM)
AMD Turion II (dual core, 2.2GHz)
3GB RAM
ATi Mobility Radeon 4200HD with ATi Catalyst drivers v9.9
Version 1.0 EMEA retail DVD, manually patched to 1.4b following the approved method of bypassing starforce.
Desktop resolution: 1366x768

On the desktop (ultimate) I had to set SH3.exe to run in compatability mode for XPSP3 to allow it to play, whereas the laptop (home premium) fired the game up and ran first time with no problems whatsoever. I am playing the same career on both, just swapping the latest save files over to whichever system I'm playing on. The end result is that the game plays just fine on both systems, even though they are two very different systems. Both major graphics card and CPU makes are represented, both systems have different capabilities and different resources available.

Kaleun Cook: My current career began in 09/1939 and is now in 01/1940 and had no issues with the transition between years. Maybe this has to do with the date change happening while I was at sea rather than in the base?

Again, I appreciate that this enormous wall of text doesn't help you folks that can't get SH3 and GWX to run on your systems, but I just wanted to show that some of us can run SH3+GWX3.0 without any problems, even on differing system hardware. I suppose this could boil down to the 32bit version of windows 7, or maybe a certain set of circumstances and hardware configuration. I do find it odd that the ultimate version would require compatability mode where the home premium did not, but that could just be due to the steam DRM.

And in case anyone is wondering why I have two different versions of the game - for the longest time I'd mislaid my disc and relented when I saw SH3 on Steam for a daft price. Sure enough, my DVD turns up three weeks later when i'm going through my box of computer bits!

Last edited by Panser; 01-23-10 at 04:13 PM.
Panser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-10, 06:35 AM   #14
Kaleun Cook
Chief

Quote:
Again, I appreciate that this enormous wall of text doesn't help you folks that can't get SH3 and GWX to run on your systems, but I just wanted to show that some of us can run SH3+GWX3.0 without any problems, even on differing system hardware. I suppose this could boil down to the 32bit version of windows 7, or maybe a certain set of circumstances and hardware configuration. I do find it odd that the ultimate version would require compatability mode where the home premium did not, but that could just be due to the steam DRM.
Hey Panser,

yeah, it was too easy to blame it on the OS. Found that out when frau kaleun reported the same problem with XP over there: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=160612
Old 01-24-10, 02:38 PM   #15
vigilante
Watch

Downloads: 51

Got nothing to do with the OS. I run GWX3 on XP Pro SP3 and it crushes as hell on loading saves. Same error, sh3.exe issue. I've started making multiple saves in a row before exit a mission, but that's no good: all will crush before or after "Not so long ago..."
There is no way to overrun this, I have to go back in port and re-start mission, the current mission I've started 4 times and it'd down again. It's happen ONLY with GWX3, the standard SH3 NEVER gave error.
I've tried everything, even replacing sh3.exe with a cracked no-DVD version, just to be able to continue mission, save the game and replace it back with the genuine version. No chance, same error.
Considering SH3 with GWX3 seems to be the game with the longest loading time in history, it's not fun anymore to wait hours trying in vain to load multiple save points.
vigilante is offline   Reply With Quote