SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-02-05, 03:16 PM   #1
stljeffbb1
Medic

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Fun with Wings 3D - Part 2

Hello again everyone.....

OK, I'm now having better luck!

Look Ma, no bulges!

I did a little bit of editing using the UV mapping tool on Wings 3d....I still don't quite understand how it works (as it applied a checkerboard pattern to the edited texture in the program), but at least the results are closer to what was desired....of course, the .tga is still all messed up, but at least it is progress.

Just in case, what I was trying to accomplish is removing the bulges from the BB Sao Paulo clone of the BB Revenge so it looks more like the Sao Paulo.....if only I had more time than the weekends

One last observation.....I vaguely recall a feature asking for like "2.00" size or something like that in the UV editor....then, noticing the texture on the "missing bulges" part of the ship, they do appear to be larger versions of portholes... :hmm:

-Jeff

:rotfl:
stljeffbb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-05, 03:36 PM   #2
Duke of Earl
Medic

Bravo!... glad to see you're on the right track...but, those dreadnaught 'outrigger poles' on the sides still look sorta weird..

Cordialement, Duke of Earl
Old 10-02-05, 05:40 PM   #3
stljeffbb1
Medic

Heh heh....

Quote:
...but, those dreadnaught 'outrigger poles' on the sides still look sorta weird..
...in testing, they actually do fire as they are supposed to!

Based on lurbz's revelation as to positioning of objects, I'm guessing they can be manually edited to fit into the sides.....

....now, I'm off to edit the superstructure...I'm guessing it won't be as hard as the bulges problem.

-Jeff

Old 10-02-05, 07:37 PM   #4
stljeffbb1
Medic

One thing I find interesting about editing objects in Wings is that the front (or line) that appears in the front is not always accessible from the front.....one has to swing around to the back to toggle them....in other words, what is visible and appears to be in the front of things often is manipulated from behind....a little unnerving at first.....however, I've had some luck in shrinking textures to a little more accurately look like the BB Sao Paulo. Still, when next weekend comes around, I think I will work on dismantling the superstructure a little more and add my look to the superstructure.

-Jeff

Old 10-02-05, 07:55 PM   #5
Sansal
Electrician's Mate

All this problems with textures are now solved. Sorry if i don't upload the last version but .... (forever) ... it never is ended. Now you don't worry with textures, only with vertex.

Sansal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-05, 08:52 PM   #6
stljeffbb1
Medic

Hi Sansal.....well, I think I still must figure out which part of the texture goes with which part of the ship......I can figure this one out!

-Jeff

Old 10-02-05, 09:42 PM   #7
stljeffbb1
Medic

OK, this is interesting.....I corrected the name of the .tga using Hex Workshop, so now the Sao Paulo has its own skin! However, it is doing something a little weird with the texture.....it is almost like it is taking the two oval shaped sections (where the bulges used to be) and putting them together as one long section, with the starboard side getting the front part of the texture (with the enlarged portholes), and the port side getting the back part (no portholes)....not only that, but as mentioned, they are larger than the original.....

I wonder, do I need to make my sections even smaller in the oval sections that replaced the bulges? I checked out the KGV textures, and the sides of the ship have fairly large sections. Also, the red that belons below the waterline also is appearing above deck.....any help or comments would be appeciated! I still think this one can be fixed with some tweaking....

-Jeff

Old 10-02-05, 10:47 PM   #8
Charlie901
XO

Downloads: 29

Eagerly awaiting this ship and hope you can do some much needed work on the Italian Navy, which was very active in the Med during WWII.

We need some Italian PT Boats, Cruisers, and some off their 6 Battleships.

Keep up the great progress!
Charlie901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-05, 05:42 AM   #9
AG124
Sea Lord

Downloads: 4

Didn't the Italian Navy have 7 battleships (not counting the incomplete Impero)?

Cavour Class

Conte de Cavour - Sunk in Taranto air raid - scrapped port-war.
Giulio Cesare - transferred to USSR post-war - sunk by mine.

Doria Class

Andrea Doria - Scrapped 1957
Caio Duilio - Scrapped 1957.

Littorio Class

Littorio - Scrapped 1948.
Vittorio Vineto - Scrapped 1948.
Roma - Sunk by German glider rocket 1943.
Impero - Not completed, hull captured by Germans.

We do need more Italian warships (cruisers and destroyers too), and I am sure we will see some after everything is worked out with Sansal's tool. I think that it is important that we do not rush those who are working on this - I'm sure they know what they're doing.

In the meantime though, we can put out some suggestions.
AG124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-05, 07:41 AM   #10
Commander1980
Engineer

Downloads: 7

Hi Jeff! Nice progress with your Sao Paulo!
I didn't succeed in importing an altered ship-model, the game crashes when exiting...

But another question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stljeffbb1
OK, this is interesting.....I corrected the name of the .tga using Hex Workshop, so now the Sao Paulo has its own skin!
How did you manage that? When i import a new texture with sansals tool, the ship still has the original texture. What changes in the tga-file must be done? Thx
Commander1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-05, 08:14 AM   #11
stljeffbb1
Medic

Hi Commander1980....

Oops.....well, when I did a little more testing, and when I clicked on the BB Revenge before the BB Sao Paulo, the game CTD.....I know it is quite possible to create separate textures, sergbuto and many others have talked about it and have done it......I'll have to tweak some more to get it to work properly.

Quote:
I didn't succeed in importing an altered ship-model, the game crashes when exiting...
I've had better luck here.....although I think this happened to me once, the latest version of the BB Sao Paulo did not cause this (this was an earlier test before I forced the aforementioned CTD)

-Jeff

Old 10-04-05, 03:38 AM   #12
Sansal
Electrician's Mate

No more problems with textures

http://rapidshare.de/files/5848151/Pack3D.jar.html

now works with mtl.

Cheers,