SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > Subsim Events & Activities > Eternal Patrol
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-07-09, 04:03 AM   #1
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358
Uploads: 0

I read with sadness of the passing of Capt Alford. A remarkable man, a consumate seaman, trusted and accomplished Captain, and I am sure, a fine shipmate to all who knew and loved him, as well as a beloved father and husband and freind. What a tribute to him as well, the posts by you four daughters, what finer tribute can a man have than to be loved by those he loved?

To go to sea, and to be at sea on a tour of duty, a voyage, one is far from home, far from port, and far out under the sky commanded only by one's compass, and the Lord of the Waters. Each time, one never knows what may come, yet men like Capt Alford have folowed that duty with cheer, strong hearts and the courage and compassion that character brings. Reading the tale of his career one can sense behind and between the words the immense dedication, attention and care given, and a life lived fully.

A life is like a voyage too, we are all of us far from the port that we were launched from, and none know when we may be called to make that final port of call. I had tears many times as i read these posts and thought of a life of duty and service and then folllowed by earnest and valiant additional work to help us all described here. I am only sorry i never will be able to meet this fine man. I am from a Naval family, and have been on two of Capt Alford's commands over past years, thought not I believe when he was in command. We are all here shipmates of a kind, and no better word describes the bonding and the fellowship that comes from service at sea and for shared goals and voyaging.

Fair winds, Captain, and though you have departed on your final voyage from us here, out there in that vast Ocean none of us may know yet, you are surely sharing your voyage with shipmates and loved ones both in spirit from here and who may have also passed on that journey as well.

I made a little picture of what i see as your final leave taking, a view I am sure you saw many times in the service.....and a wonderful last port of call to depart from...and to journey forth bearing so much love from those you leave behind your heart will be warmed forever and a day.

Salute

Old 08-07-09, 04:06 AM   #2
Loud_Silence
Planesman

Downloads: 0

Rest In Peace
Loud_Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-09, 04:08 AM   #3
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Sorry to hear that. May he rest in peace.
Old 08-07-09, 01:55 PM   #4
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142

*Salute*
Rest in peace, Captain.
Old 08-08-09, 02:10 AM   #5
ichso
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 57

R.I.P. Zeb Alford
ichso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-09, 03:14 AM   #6
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358

Katie, i am glad you liked the picture of the Golden Gate, it came to me as a symbol of your dad's times at sea and i figured you all had lived in California, either up there or San Deigo both having sub bases..i have lived in both and grew up myself out there too, and know that pattern of moves, having moved 24 times before i was 21 Peggy, that was a very touching tribute to your mom, Margaret and our hearts to out to you and to her and all that you describe. Life is not always easy but it is always precious, and it is clear that your parents gave you all a full cargo of love, care and the best of values which all are the foundations of character.

If i could come i would but am recoving from a long series of operations...but your sharing with us and this chance to honour dad has uncovered in all of us i think a deep welling up of love and respect that we all feel, and we will be there in spirit for the serivce, and with you in the days, months and years ahead when you feel the void that your dad's passing has left...but remember he did not leave really, he is jost gone on ahead, under the stars that shine far out to sea....and he and what he is and what you love in him will be part of you always. HUgs to all of you girls and all your family. Thank you so much for sharing with us all, and we will be with you.

Chris Gerlach
aka Adm Von Gerlach
Old 08-08-09, 04:01 PM   #7
patti
VIP

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Von Gerlach View Post
Katie, i am glad you liked the picture of the Golden Gate, it came to me as a symbol of your dad's times at sea and i figured you all had lived in California, either up there or San Deigo both having sub bases..i have lived in both and grew up myself out there too, and know that pattern of moves, having moved 24 times before i was 21 Peggy, that was a very touching tribute to your mom, Margaret and our hearts to out to you and to her and all that you describe. Life is not always easy but it is always precious, and it is clear that your parents gave you all a full cargo of love, care and the best of values which all are the foundations of character.

If i could come i would but am recoving from a long series of operations...but your sharing with us and this chance to honour dad has uncovered in all of us i think a deep welling up of love and respect that we all feel, and we will be there in spirit for the serivce, and with you in the days, months and years ahead when you feel the void that your dad's passing has left...but remember he did not leave really, he is jost gone on ahead, under the stars that shine far out to sea....and he and what he is and what you love in him will be part of you always. HUgs to all of you girls and all your family. Thank you so much for sharing with us all, and we will be with you.

Chris Gerlach
aka Adm Von Gerlach
Chris,
thank you again for your kind words, I keep coming back to this site to read more about my Dad and find it so comforting in my loss.

Patti (Navy Junior #1)

Last edited by patti; 08-08-09 at 05:56 PM.
patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-09, 03:44 AM   #8
Captain Nemo
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 54

Rest in peace Captain Zeb Alford.

Sir John Slessor GCB, DSO, MC, DL
AOC-in-C Coastal Command RAF
Old 08-07-09, 03:17 AM   #9
OneShot
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 9

R.I.P. Sir
OneShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-09, 12:11 PM   #10
Growler
A long way from the sea

Downloads: 21

Neal, my sincere condolences on the loss of a patriot and a friend.

[salute] Fair winds, and following seas, Capt. Alford. [/salute]
And pledge to love and beauty.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-09, 12:18 PM   #11
geosub1978
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 229

The loss of a submariner is a loss of our community!

Rest in peace Captain Zeb!!!
Old 08-07-09, 12:38 PM   #12
flag4
Watch Officer

Downloads: 147

an extraordinary career, sounds like a man of great energy and persistence. my condolences to his family.

Flag4.
Kurt Vonnegut
flag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-09, 12:49 PM   #13
K Gunz
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 22
Default Very sad day: Capt. Zeb Alford passes away

I never knew this gentleman of the seas. I am sure he will be missed by many. Sympathy is expressed to those he leaves behind.

K Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-09, 07:01 PM   #14
Dutch
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 19

I never had the chance to meet Capt. Zeb Alford but from everything that I have seen here, I am assured that he was an excellent man. I wish I would have had a chance to meet him.

I pray that his friends and family will be comforted, I can't imagine the level of loss you guys are feeling. But my prayers are with you.
Old 08-07-09, 07:06 PM   #15
patti
VIP

Downloads: 1
Default Patti

Well we finally have a date and time for the Memorial for my Dad.

the memorial will be at the 2nd Baptist Church in Houston and I will get the address or you can look it up on the net. The service will be at 10AM on August 21, 2009 and there will be a reception afterward.

I am looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible when we say our final good byes to Capt. Zeb:salute :

Patti( Navy Junior #1)
patti is offline   Reply With Quote