SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-26-19, 10:32 AM   #1
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Default about images bit

Previous posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olamagato View Post
But almost all GUI's waste RAM with nonsense big 32-bit textures as example. This is especially true for full HD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94
Hello Olamagato,

this is something that bothered me some time ago and i want to ask you if i am somewhere wrong at the followings conclusions i had made.

As far i had the knowledge there is noway to make a transparent image less than 32-bit without losing its transparency. is this correct?
So , as the game ingame (i am not talking for the menu screens here but i am talking for when you have entered the action) uses more than 99+% images with transparency i came to the conclusion that when you are actually playing the game it is only 3-4 images (crew background,radio messages background,mission orders background, log book background... if i am not missing anyone right now) that are not using transparency so just these 3-4 could be reduced to 24-bit. (as far i can tell , you can't reduce a tga image to less than 24-bit).

Am i correct at the aboves or i am missing something ? please inform
Quote:

Yes. But SH3 does not use the alpha channel at all in the largest background textures, most of which are in the "data\menu\Data" directory and two in the "data\menu\Gui" directory (MOrderBgnd.tga and RadioMsg.tga). You can safely remove the alpha channel from them because the alpha channel is unnecessary. Only backgrounds overlayed on a 3D view or video require an alpha channel (e.g. periscopes, main menu)
In addition, any entries in menu1024x768.ini type CropX = 0,0,1, Y (Y <1, e.g. 0.75) to CropX = 0,0,1,1 and reduce the multiple-purpose textures into two different textures should be reduced. Especially when the truncated or uncut section does not need an alpha channel.
The alpha channel is only needed for big background textures of both periscopes, uzo, binoculars, deck gun, main menu (mask512.tga) and perhaps a museum (museu.tga). All other textures either are alpha-channel themselves or they do not need it at all.

yes, but the largest background textures ingame without alpha are ONLY the three-four we mentioned ( CLog.tga , MOrderBgnd.tga , RadioMsg.tga and BackPap2.tga ) so only these three-four can be reduced to 24-bit as concerned the ingame big images. (do you know if there is a way that we can reduce a tga image to less than 24-bit without losing its quality ?).
I insist on the ingame big images becuase i have the sense that all the rest big background images (for the menu screens before entering the game) are not running when you play the game.Is this correct or they are running all the time ?

Quote:
All other textures either are alpha-channel themselves or...
about the small images-items
can you explain this a little further ? as i get it ,you are saying that we can have an alpha channel without the image being at 32-bit. What do you mean by "textures either are alpha-channel themselves" ? To make more clear my question: All of the items that you see at , for example , periscope station need alpha channel (buttons,clock...etc) so, can we have them without being at 32-bit ? Can you give an example of a specific small item that appearing on periscope station and doesn't need an alpha channel ?

Quote:
In addition, any entries in menu1024x768.ini type CropX = 0,0,1, Y (Y <1, e.g. 0.75) to CropX = 0,0,1,1 and reduce the multiple-purpose textures into two different textures should be reduced. Especially when the truncated or uncut section does not need an alpha channel.
this is a very good idea , have you eliminate these crops at your setup ? if yes , what was the gain at ram usage when you are ingame ?

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods

Last edited by makman94; 03-26-19 at 10:41 AM.
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote