SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-05-13, 11:53 PM   #6706
bandit484
Medic

Downloads: 523
Uploads: 0
SHO Happy to be back!!!

I've been away for 7 years do to circumstances. But today I was able to get my SH3 working on my Windows 7 system!!! I have truely missed this simulation, but no more. And the first thing I put on was GWX. Never have been able to play it until today. This is so cool.
bandit484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-13, 09:30 AM   #6707
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

SINK EM ALL!!

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-13, 12:21 PM   #6708
gi_dan2987
Weps

Downloads: 61

Anybody know how to shut off all the ridiculous radio reports in GWX3? Historically about only ONE enigma message per month was sent during the war. I'm sick of having to constantly turn TC back up after interruption by message after message. That kind of radio chatter did not happen historically. Every tiny little SOS signal did not get reported. I'm getting tired of it. If anyone can help me, please let me know.
gi_dan2987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-13, 12:26 PM   #6709
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Edit the messages_en.txt file found in the Campaigns\Campaign folder.
Old 12-25-13, 12:44 PM   #6710
gi_dan2987
Weps

Ok sweet thanks. Can you also tell me what is the optimal TC to run at?
Old 12-25-13, 12:47 PM   #6711
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

I never use more than 128 TC.

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-13, 12:48 PM   #6712
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi_dan2987 View Post
1x. You were complaining about historical accuracy.

Seriously, 128x seems to be the best. Any faster and you risk coming out of TC right as they start attacking you, or of missing possible encounters entirely. Any slower and you run the risk of dying from boredom.
Old 12-25-13, 12:49 PM   #6713
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Truthfully?
I rarely play any version of SH.
I mostly tinker with stuff.
Old 12-25-13, 01:03 PM   #6714
gi_dan2987
Weps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
1x. You were complaining about historical accuracy.
I was complaining about realism! And yes I would love to run at RT. Although, who would take the night shift skippering my sub?? I have let the game run for days before at RT, and honestly, it seems to become unstable after a while of doing that. It starts glitching at crashing. It's like the game was designed to be run at 1024x until an attack, then only RT for short amounts of time.

In the messages_en.txt do I just change the "1" values to "0" to shut them off? I'm assuming those numbers are binary code for on/off. I want some of the messages, but I want to keep it to the historical one per month or 75 total for the war.
Old 12-25-13, 01:07 PM   #6715
gi_dan2987
Weps

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post
Truthfully?
I rarely play any version of SH.
I mostly tinker with stuff.
Yes, I'm becoming more of a tinkerer-er myself

The thing is putzing around with modding this game is actually giving me a lot of helpful software experience and understanding how files work, etc.

I've started about 50 campaigns so far, finished a fat 0 LOL. I keep thinking "aw I wanna tweak this a little, make this a tad more, lessen this a bit, make that a little more fancy, make this more realistic, etc."

I've been using SH3 as my drawing board for quite some time. It's like an art easel where modders everywhere can practice without worrying if they're going to muck something up.
Old 12-25-13, 01:13 PM   #6716
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
In the messages_en.txt do I just change the "1" values to "0" to shut them off? I'm assuming those numbers are binary code for on/off. I want some of the messages, but I want to keep it to the historical one per month or 75 total for the war.
Open the file with Notepad then go to Format on the Menu bar and un-check word wrap.
The first line explains how the file is setup and what is what.
Old 12-25-13, 01:25 PM   #6717
gi_dan2987
Weps

I'm just going to use WB's mission orders. This will edit the Messages_en.txt file to only game relevant messages. Thank goodness, I was just about to break my + button I've been tacking on it so much
Old 12-25-13, 03:11 PM   #6718
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
I was complaining about realism! And yes I would love to run at RT. Although, who would take the night shift skippering my sub?? I have let the game run for days before at RT, and honestly, it seems to become unstable after a while of doing that. It starts glitching at crashing. It's like the game was designed to be run at 1024x until an attack, then only RT for short amounts of time.
And I was joking, of course. That is one of the complaints I've always had with people who do run it at 1x and claim it's more realistic. In real life even the captain has other things to do, including sleep. Running the game 24/7 while you do the dishes or go to work makes no sense to me, as I don't see the difference between letting it run while not there and using TC.

But that's just me.

Quote:
There I can't help you. I like all the messages. One interesting point came from someone who did run a patrol in real time. Golden Rivet pointed out that while people complain about the messages knocking the game back to real time every other minute, he found that while playing in real time they became a welcome relief, actually only coming every couple of hours.

When I was in we had a constant running loop of fleet messages that we monitored and transmitted up the ladder if we thought it was required. On the other hand we had teletypes that printed out automagically, so we didn't have to copy and translate them to English before handing them on. I suspect that the KM radiomen did indeed spend their days copying messages from general transmissions, only showing the duty officer and captain the ones pertaining to their boat. I would like to see that in the game, with special transmissions dragging the game down to real time, but general transmissions stored in a log for perusal whenever the player/captain felt like it. SH4 has something like that with regular and 'Fox' messages.
Old 12-25-13, 05:22 PM   #6719
gi_dan2987
Weps

Yes Steve I know you were joking. I was joking Playing in RT would be really cool if you could dedicate your whole life to running SH3 nonstop, 24/7. Of course, this is impossible, and so we settle for TC.

Upon doing research though, I actually did find out that BdU really wasn't all that hot on radio chatter. They would tell the boats things they NEEDED to know and only that. The allies were excellent at deciphering messages, and after the enigma code was broken, the Germans practiced even better radio discipline.

Well Steve-o, I found that WB's mission orders does the trick. I included some screenshots I took just now in mission. My first kill with my new mod soup? A whale factory ship for 12,000GRT no big deal If you notice, the ship that passed just after I hit the whale factory ship was a neutral American cargo.

I gotta say I've been liking the fixed wire formula. As long as you're 90 to the enemies track, approx. 90AOB, stationary, and with gyro set to 000, all you really need is to enter the speed and fire away. That whale ship was hit twice with two hastily-readied torps. I had originally been tracking the American one, but somehow I missed the British ship lurking alongside. It was kind of a hurried shot, but that's what fixed wire was intended for. When you need a solution fast, it's the only way. I won't attack convoys any other way. Just let them sail right into the eels.

Here's that formula again ((Ship length in meters) * 1.94)/(time in seconds). Don't ask me how, but it's accurate on getting speed as long as you're close to 90AOB. Error increases as AOB approaches 0 or 180 however. Both torps set to fast, impact pistol, 4m depth.

Here's my "Mod Soup" That I've spent all day fine-tuning.

GWX Optional Mods:
16km Atmosphere
Alternate Loadscreen-Full Circle
Alternative Flotillas
Axis Mediterranean Aircraft Skins
Enhanced Damage Effects
No Medals on Crew
VIIC41 Player Sub
Late War Sensors and Snorkel Antennas

Ala Carte Mods direct from Subsim:
Updated Recognition Manual Data
DarkWraith DC Water Disturbance v4
Your very own "No Jawohl"
Das Boot Sehrohr Sounds
Destroyer & Corvette Sound Pack
Hitman's Optics for GWX3 v1
Graphic Torpedo Damage v2
New Bases and Ports
Lifeboats & Debris v4
WB's Fuel Economy v1.2
WB's Mission Orders Lite v1.1
WB's Renown Replacement
Ultimate Aircraft Sound Mod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SH3Img@25-12-2013_15.35.22_531.jpg (63.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg SH3Img@25-12-2013_15.35.15_231.jpg (55.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg SH3Img@25-12-2013_15.35.31_531.jpg (48.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 12-27-13, 08:43 AM   #6720
Ignaz Woll
Swabbie

Downloads: 81

Hello Guys!

I´ve just installed the GWX3 Gold, so I run the .exe . It says me that the GWX can´t be installed because modified files were found! And I haven´t installed any mods ! Can somebody please help me?

PD: I have the SH3 Steam version.
Ignaz Woll is offline   Reply With Quote