SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-08-15, 04:25 PM   #241
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaMa View Post
My biggest concern at the moment is that this issue started when Ubisoft updated UPlay by including the OSI application into the game folders inside their browser.
It is amazing how UBI guys broke a game that they keep selling, and at the same time they have the nerve of washing their hands of it

Quote:
Despite being broken this application holds a lot of game informations (now stored locally, before they weren't accessible) and it could be a great chance to uncover an important part of the game tasks, allowing new gameplay possibilities on the game campaign for classical SH gamers and new ones alike... an expert like TDW could be of great help on that...
You say you are not a programmer, but it looks you know on game debugging much more than the average gamer.

It is more than one year now since the last appearance of TDW on this forum. I still hope he will be back anytime soon (it wouldn't be the first time he deserts this community and then pops up again). In the same time we could try getting in touch with some of the game developpers (some of them are appreciated members of this community, they visit the forum from time to time, and they have always been very helpful). If the OSI thing was intruced after SH5's release, I doubt they will be able to help us but, who knows, maybe they will be able to give us some clues.

Quote:
However, if anyone knows how to dig those contents he would be more than welcome !

In the meantime i'll continue my search...
Please do!
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-15, 09:16 AM   #242
RealGrognard
Watch

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 0

Great work MaMa!

As I am a programmer myself I can say you've done really good work to find this (I wouldn't have found it) and also you should forward that information again to Ubisoft, reporting it as a Uplay bug, not SH5 bug, and even include those debug logs as well.

This is because SH5 is no longer supported, but Uplay is supported ongoing. And this bug is actually part of Uplay (OSI is part of Uplay) and was introduced in a Uplay update.

From my experience working in a software company, so if you report the bug under a different category then it may get through to the engineers rather than getting blocked by customer support. If you report it as a SH5 bug then it gets filtered out but a Uplay bug may get through and be fixed. It's a long shot but worth a try. Also, if somebody reports a vague bug then it is less likely to get looked at but if you report exact information like you have found, it has a better chance of being acted on. So we should give detailed information like this.

As it stands, I think it would be difficult to actually fix this with a mod, apart from removing the tonnage bar completely as per Vecko's post above, since it seems to be hard coded into osi.

I had a look at the osi arguments in osi.args
Quote:
-osi_memmax 45000 -osi_cpumax 100 -osi_netmax 250
There are only 3 arguments in there, I guess memory max, CPU max and network max.
I guess the first means how much memory is allowed.
Perhaps one thing to try is changing the mem max value from 45000 to a higher value (perhap it sometimes runs out of memory)???
Perhaps another thing is to raise the net max value to a higher value (perhaps it needs more network bandwidth sometimes)???

So actions are:

1)

We on this forum should all keep reporting this Uplay bug to Ubisoft and if they keep on getting lots of reports about it then they may actually pay attention and 'escalate' it as a real issue. Include the debug logs provided from MaMa and provide a detailed explanation and it's more likely to go through than if we just report it vaguely. More details is better.

2)

MaMa maybe you can try running again with those changes to the osi.args file?? And see if there is any change in the behaviour for OSI?
Another thing to try might be setting net max or mem max to 0 (perhaps setting to 0 means 'no limit').
Perhaps if it looks at how much memory or network bandwidth is used, it doesn't do the operation properly (I'm only guessing here, it's a long shot)

Last edited by RealGrognard; 09-09-15 at 09:57 AM.
RealGrognard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-15, 03:27 PM   #243
MaMa
Bosun

Downloads: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGrognard View Post
Perhaps one thing to try is changing the mem max value from 45000 to a higher value (perhap it sometimes runs out of memory)???
Perhaps another thing is to raise the net max value to a higher value (perhaps it needs more network bandwidth sometimes)???
At the moment it's exactly what i'm looking at !

I also discovered that the OSI application is in fact the pack of files downloaded by UPlay when first launching the game... i deleted the OSI folder and verified that all files are downloaded again if the game is launched and UPlay is online... on the other hand if the browser is offline the game will stop working at the campaign start with a generic internet connection problem...

The first thing i've tried (and it didn't bring any result) is changing the netmax parameter (a bigger value). The application crashed demanding a valid parameter, however i have not tried the 0 value, let's do it ! Next step will point to the other parameters as you advised...

Regarding Ubisoft ... you're absolutely right about this, everyone should ask explanations and activate a support ticket as to bring attention to this issue. I'll do it again in a more detailed manner, addressing the problem to the UPlay browser this time !

EDIT : A little update... tried changing the paramaters values (the "0" theory seems correct !). No crashes or new problems but the OSI behaviour seems the same. To be honest this evening the percentage of games running correctly is higher but i doubt it depends from those changes, it's all so chaotic that a true stat isn't really possible to be made... anyway, i also forwarded again the issue to Ubisoft with more details and all my logs and statistics... let's wait an answer, finger crossed !

Last edited by MaMa; 09-09-15 at 04:55 PM.
MaMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-15, 05:06 PM   #244
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
We on this forum should all keep reporting this Uplay bug to Ubisoft and if they keep on getting lots of reports about it then they may actually pay attention and 'escalate' it as a real issue. Include the debug logs provided from MaMa and provide a detailed explanation and it's more likely to go through than if we just report it vaguely. More details is better.
Quote:
Regarding Ubisoft ... you're absolutely right about this, everyone should ask explanations and activate a support ticket as to bring attention to this issue. I'll do it again in a more detailed manner, addressing the problem to the UPlay browser this time !

[...]

... anyway, i also forwarded again the issue to Ubisoft with more details and all my logs and statistics... let's wait an answer, finger crossed !
If everything else fails, this is definitely the way to go; we cannot leave UBI alone until they fix the bug THEIR bug.

MaMa, please, post here the draft of the e-mail you sent them, and if UBI customer service ignores it I will open a tiket myself with the same query. If need be, I am sure many other forum members will follow our example.
Old 09-10-15, 03:24 AM   #245
MaMa
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
MaMa, please, post here the draft of the e-mail you sent them, and if UBI customer service ignores it I will open a tiket myself with the same query. If need be, I am sure many other forum members will follow our example.
Here we go GAP !

Find attached a TXT file with the query forwarded to UBI support. It is splitted in two parts since i sent more than one message at the moment and after those messages you can find the debug reports attached to the original request sent to UBI.

Feel free to ask if you need more infos or explanations...

EDIT : I forgot to tell that the UBI ticket request is written in italian... if needed i can translate the query in english. Ask me in case of need.
Attached Files
File Type: txt UBIsoft ticket.txt (9.1 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by MaMa; 09-10-15 at 04:51 AM.
Old 09-10-15, 09:18 AM   #246
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Here we go GAP !

Find attached a TXT file with the query forwarded to UBI support. It is splitted in two parts since i sent more than one message at the moment and after those messages you can find the debug reports attached to the original request sent to UBI.

Feel free to ask if you need more infos or explanations...
If they don't reply your query within the next few days I will resend it. Keep us informed and and let's put pressure on them

Quote:
EDIT : I forgot to tell that the UBI ticket request is written in italian... if needed i can translate the query in english. Ask me in case of need.

Scusa, pensavo di essermi presentato. Anch'io sono italiano...
Old 09-10-15, 11:10 AM   #247
MaMa
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post

Scusa, pensavo di essermi presentato. Anch'io sono italiano...
Scusami tu ! è mia abitudine avere a che fare con persone americane che parlano e scrivono bene l'italiano... pensavo tu fossi comunque di altra nazionalità !

I will however continue to write everything in english as to allow for everyone a good understanding of everything...
Old 09-10-15, 11:16 AM   #248
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gap
I Agree. Brilliant post
MaMa Not being technically adroit myself...if Gap says it's brilliant...than it must B SO!
Quote:
Scusami tu ! è mia abitudine avere a che fare con persone americane che parlano e scrivono bene l'italiano... pensavo tu fossi comunque di altra nazionalità !

Sentitevi liberi di inviare in italiano! Abbiamo bisogno di pratica. Disponiamo di traduttori. C'è un po' di Italiano a tutti!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 09-10-15 at 11:23 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-15, 11:58 AM   #249
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:

I will however continue to write everything in english as to allow for everyone a good understanding of everything...
Sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
MaMa Not being technically adroit myself...if Gap says it's brilliant...than it must B SO!

Sentitevi liberi di inviare in italiano! Abbiamo bisogno di pratica. Disponiamo di traduttori. C'è un po' di Italiano a tutti!

If there wasn't an Aktungbby on subsim... we would need one
Old 09-10-15, 12:11 PM   #250
MaMa
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Maybe we can start a new thread in italian but i must admit that i'm a terrible cook so don't expect any pizza recipe !

Back on topic now...

Well guys... first round with UBI completed...

My request has been forwarded from the UBI italian support to the Headquarters (they even asked me to translate the query in english... ).

Let's see where this match lead us... as Always i don't trust those guys but who knows !
Old 09-10-15, 12:20 PM   #251
RealGrognard
Watch

Downloads: 68

Well done MaMa, let's see what happens.
RealGrognard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-15, 12:31 PM   #252
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Maybe we can start a new thread in italian
Not enough italian speakers here, except for you, me and Aktungbby

Quote:
Well guys... first round with UBI completed...

My request has been forwarded from the UBI italian support to the Headquarters
You should print that e-mail and frame it; I think this is the first time they take one of our reports seriously

Quote:
(they even asked me to translate the query in english... ).
Why not in french?

Quote:
Let's see where this match lead us... as Always i don't trust those guys but who knows !
Fingers crossed
Old 09-13-15, 02:26 PM   #253
MaMa
Bosun

A little drawback on my researches...

One of my first assumptions is not verifiable...

I can't check if the previous versions of UPlay had the OSI filese installed because i can't reproduce the game launch (those files were probably downloaded as it currently happen at the first launch of a new installment of SH5), unfortunately there is no way to stop the UPlay browser from being updated automatically thus stopping me from doing any trial with older versions of the browser (i can only do a simple check of a fresh installation of an older browser without connecting to the web)...

This issue leave now an hole on my collected data, probably this OSI application was updated to a newer version ? who knows...

A Ubisoft answer on the issue become more important now... i'm not happy about it...

On the other hand i found a good decompiler which allowed me to see the .exe file of the OSI application... digging into it now ! i don't know the C++ Language well but i recognize some part of the program... let's see what i can find !
Old 09-15-15, 12:42 PM   #254
Choum
Sparky

Downloads: 343
Uploads: 3

Great news.
Choum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-15, 12:21 PM   #255
MaMa
Bosun

Back to school !

Learning the basics now ! Finally i understand something of the executable file of the OSI application...

So far no errors found... and a question came to my mind :

is anybody around using SH5 (modded or not, it doesn't matter) Always experiencing NO problems with this bug ?

Maybe the problem it's outside of the application or a conflict with some other programs ?

An answer on this matter would be of great help... if someone is using SH5 with no problems on the campaign updates i'm curious to learn what's happening on their PC... thus stopping my search probably in the wrong direction.

Any answer would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance !