SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5 > Silent Hunter Online
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-15-12, 08:42 PM   #286
Brandon01
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 0

Well love it or hate it it seems that its gonna be here to stay (until UBI looses interest or the player base collapses) either way its free and its not gonna kill us to try it. Just wish they would merge games like they did with Destroyer Command and SH2. Even though SH5 is unfinished and a dog of a game i do like the fact that they put in the VIIA and the SMS Deutschland pre-dreadnought class Battleship. They did a great job on the modeling for that ship given all they had to work off of was a bunch of old photographs and files.
Brandon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 07:18 AM   #287
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon01 View Post
either way its free to try
Fixed.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 04:50 PM   #288
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

The more i think about this the more it seems like anti piracy . Just make a great finished subsim game and it will sell itself .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 09:12 PM   #289
Seeadler
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 169

People should not expect a simulation of SHO, the devs never said they develop a simulation, it will be just a game with submarines
Old 05-17-12, 04:43 AM   #290
Broe116
Nub

Downloads: 68

I am wroung to think this is along the lines of World of tanks. trying to copy there succes.

XP/gold grind with a bonus if you spend $ to buy xxx
Broe116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-12, 04:57 PM   #291
kapitan_zur_see
Commodore

Downloads: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
The more i think about this the more it seems like anti piracy.
Cleverly thought. Concordantly, that's also why we can see bizarre, or rather forced through, online contents flourishing in single player game that are not really made for them to happen. Like in mass effect 3 and etc. Online is a "get around" hit to piracy. And not the less clever, for a change compared to cumbersome DRM that are however instantly hacked.

Worrisome counterpart to that, tough, could be the flourishing of half-backed games tailored to browser based experience or the like, literally pushing the concept of in-app purchase too far. See the all too annoying current trend of in-app purchase in iphone games, this time in order to circumvent people getting too much used to pay not more than 2$ or so for a game on this platform... Roxio with their last angry birds iteration have gone too far in that respect for example, regarding their past prices vs. contents and free update with new levels.

kapitan_zur_see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-12, 09:10 AM   #292
Kaluen Miechiel
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegRepKing View Post
Well i just saw it relax besides im new. thanks for the welcome...
I've been around for a couple of years and have listened to all the pros and cons. I, myself, play SH3 and have been doing just fine with the vanilla mods. However, I've played SH4 and find it to a bit difficult not like SH3 in any way. I've had my share of virus and malware and I refuse to play any game that that has to be played on line. Period !!!!! Kaleun Miechiel
Kaluen Miechiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-12, 01:27 PM   #293
7thSeal
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon01 View Post
Well love it or hate it it seems that its gonna be here to stay (until UBI looses interest or the player base collapses) either way its free and its not gonna kill us to try it.
Try it... yeah its free of course, well which part of the game requires green cash to try it? But you haven't ponied up yet, why?

Quote:
People should not expect a simulation of SHO, the devs never said they develop a simulation
Why posting on sim forum of the newly highly next experience is welcoming but of what excatly? O wait, I haven't paid yet....
7thSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-12, 02:53 PM   #294
Sonarman
The Old Man

Downloads: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeadler View Post
People should not expect a simulation of SHO, the devs never said they develop a simulation, it will be just a game with submarines

To be exact they said (in the SHO FAQ)...

Q: The Silent Hunter games have always been very complex simulations. Is Silent Hunter Online now focusing exclusively on casual gamers?

A: No. The switch to a browser-based game means that Silent Hunter Online will be accessible to everyone, and will therefore remain faithful to the game’s basic concept. While we are always delighted to attract all kinds of new players, Silent Hunter Online is in no way a simplistic arcade action game. The game is geared to submarine simulation fans as well as players who enjoy strategic and tactical naval combat in a realistic World War II scenario. Every battle still requires a meticulous tactical approach, careful preparation and precise execution.
Old 05-18-12, 10:26 PM   #295
PL_Andrev
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonarman View Post
A: No. The switch to a browser-based game means that Silent Hunter Online will be accessible to everyone, and will therefore remain faithful to the game’s basic concept. While we are always delighted to attract all kinds of new players, Silent Hunter Online is in no way a simplistic arcade action game. The game is geared to submarine simulation fans as well as players who enjoy strategic and tactical naval combat in a realistic World War II scenario. Every battle still requires a meticulous tactical approach, careful preparation and precise execution.
Sound too good to be true...

PL_Andrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-12, 02:47 PM   #296
tonschk
Admiral

Downloads: 172

The most important thing here is the continued (to some extent) development of a u-boat sim, no matter the area on which the development is made
Old 05-19-12, 03:36 PM   #297
7thSeal
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonschk View Post
The most important thing here is the continued (to some extent) development of a u-boat sim,
U-boat sim based on a browser.... damn, grab everything you need to hold on to hope? SH5 is alive because of mods... o crap, not supported in the next release of a so called sim.?
7thSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-12, 05:31 AM   #298
Sonarman
The Old Man

A new screenshot on the SHO facebook page illustrates the flotilla management screen ,a first for the series, where you will select between your boats at sea & in port.

The game is actually beginning to remind me more of the classic Novalogic game "Wolfpack" than any of the Silent Hunter series.

Last edited by Sonarman; 05-20-12 at 06:17 AM.
Sonarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-12, 11:07 AM   #299
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonarman View Post
A new screenshot on the SHO facebook page illustrates the flotilla management screen ,a first for the series, where you will select between your boats at sea & in port.

The game is actually beginning to remind me more of the classic Novalogic game "Wolfpack" than any of the Silent Hunter series.
Kind of reminds me of STO, except with subs instead of starships. Notice the range is listed in statute miles instead of nautical miles?
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-12, 11:27 AM   #300
Sonarman
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinrich Schwab View Post
Notice the range is listed in statute miles instead of nautical miles?
Unless of course the "sm" they are using the German term for nautical miles "SeeMeile"