SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5 > Silent Hunter Online
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-03-12, 06:23 AM   #181
PL_Andrev
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 91
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmilk View Post
For me this only shows one thing. The developers do not care. There gonna go with the name "guild" because thats what kiddies know. They are just gonna take SH franchise and slap it on a Farmville simulator. Thats all.
From german SHO interview and translation:
target user: 'mature' user, with sim / naval interest...

Mature guild...

PL_Andrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 08:20 AM   #182
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Now that I've had some time to mull this over, I'm getting something of the same sense of disappointment as others have had here. Not over dumbing the game down, or even turning it into a MMO (even though I hate multiplayer games, so I'll probably pass on this).

What gets me is that they're trying to squeeze more money out of the Silent Hunter franchise while leaving SH5 woefully broken. Ubi has shown time and time again that they don't have a commitment to doing this series right. And I'm not talking about design philosophy and how hardcore the realism is, but just having an experience where game breaking bugs are kept to a minimum. We had to beg for a 1.3 patch for SH4 to fix such minor things as being able to create a torpedo solution that actually, you know, worked. You can point the finger at developers for letting these things happen in the first place, but hey, bugs are a fact of life with games. Where I lay the blame is at Ubi's doorstep for not allowing the team to go back and patch out the bugs adequately.

It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth that Ubi is trying to cash in on the Silent Hunter name when they've prematurely abandoned the last outing and shown a worrisome disregard for fans of the series.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 10:45 AM   #183
the_tyrant
Admiral

Downloads: 58

I just saw this, and I have to say, I'm not impressed

Is this really going to be a browser based flash game?!

Considering how often flash crashes in chrome, I believe I will not be liking this

flash will also not be supported in metro IE 10

I'm not impressed, at least make it have a client (like world of warcraft)
Old 05-03-12, 07:11 PM   #184
McKenzy
Swabbie

Downloads: 55

Hell yeah. FB and Twitter. "John "kaleun Killer100" Smith has changed status to "had one 800-toner today!", BigBoy2000 has created a community "Seriouzzzz guyzzz wolfpack school 12, Manitoba", twitter @Dud torpedoes suck!". Jesus. We're doomed.

Gone to run my Kilo aground somewhere in the Pacific to think this all over.
McKenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 09:35 PM   #185
Peter Cremer
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 141

If they pay me to play it, I might consider it. They would have to pay me a lot though.
Peter Cremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-12, 12:20 AM   #186
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antar View Post
From german SHO interview and translation:
target user: 'mature' user, with sim / naval interest...

Mature guild...

"Mature user"?!

The only way Ubi is going to attract the "mature" user it wants is to make a true subsim that works. There is no way around it. Why in the world would I want to play a game that invites the general MMO community (read: immature children and trolls who, by nature, are incapable of teamwork) ? I have the other sims. I don't need this flash based disaster-in-the-making.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-12, 02:13 AM   #187
PL_Andrev
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinrich Schwab View Post
"Mature user"?!

The only way Ubi is going to attract the "mature" user it wants is to make a true subsim that works. There is no way around it. Why in the world would I want to play a game that invites the general MMO community (read: immature children and trolls who, by nature, are incapable of teamwork) ?
It is not completely true - World of Tanks is not real game (not true sim) but very playable MMO game.
The main hint is that "mature" players shall use its brain to win in game vs. trolls.
But SHO will be poor graphics flash game with "pay to play" system...
...for "mature" players...

PL_Andrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-12, 06:33 AM   #188
BigBANGtheory
Officer

Downloads: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanaiba View Post
I'd say just this, the problem with the simulation market is that the buyers cant even agree on whats wrong with the products.
I dunno I'd say Eagle Dynamics has it about right, and to be fair SH5 did somethings very well too.

I think you need a system where players pay to beta test with a good level of communication between the two parties, don't do the development behind closed doors, and don't ignore your community.

If Silent Hunter Online reaches out to the community they would likely get better support IF they listen and ACT on what is being said. The community might say 'we don't want a new F2P, we want you to get SH5 upto scratch first' in which case Ubisoft best have some straight answers forthcoming.

Have you had any thoughts about developing another sim out side of the clutches of Ubisoft ?
BigBANGtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-12, 05:19 PM   #189
KeldorKatarn
Helmsman

Downloads: 0

I'd like to break a little lance here for this game. I'm an old community member but haven't been around in a while, also because no SH has really interested me since SH3 and my job hasn't allowed me to play much anymore but I was a huge fan of SH3 and also modded a little for it.

The reason why I want to break a lance for this game is that I am working for the developer studio that is creating it. I am not part of the team working on it, but I know these guys and see them everyday. I just wanted to emphasise, no matter what you think about Ubisoft and the former Silent Hunters, this one is developed by a totally different developer so please don't punish us for whatever that other studio did in terms of bugs. Also whatever you might think of Ubisoft (I have my own opinion about some of the stuff they pulled too), give these guys a chance. There are quite a few big SH and WW2 sim fans in that team and they're really doing their best.

All I can ask is, just take a look at it and work with the team on improving the Beta and the final product. There will be a live team that will continue to work on the product once it has gone live. This is a huge project and they've never really done anything this size before but they're really putting a lot of sweat and blood into it. All they'd really like you to do is try it out and help them make it the best game it can be.

Just 2 cents from someone who's been on both sides of the fence
KeldorKatarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-12, 07:59 PM   #190
Seeadler
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 169

Only an indication for the interface designers at Blue Byte, the inevitable slide-out panel that the game must have necessarily

Seeadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-12, 08:05 PM   #191
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeldorKatarn View Post
I'd like to break a little lance here for this game. I'm an old community member but haven't been around in a while, also because no SH has really interested me since SH3 and my job hasn't allowed me to play much anymore but I was a huge fan of SH3 and also modded a little for it.

The reason why I want to break a lance for this game is that I am working for the developer studio that is creating it. I am not part of the team working on it, but I know these guys and see them everyday. I just wanted to emphasise, no matter what you think about Ubisoft and the former Silent Hunters, this one is developed by a totally different developer so please don't punish us for whatever that other studio did in terms of bugs. Also whatever you might think of Ubisoft (I have my own opinion about some of the stuff they pulled too), give these guys a chance. There are quite a few big SH and WW2 sim fans in that team and they're really doing their best.

All I can ask is, just take a look at it and work with the team on improving the Beta and the final product. There will be a live team that will continue to work on the product once it has gone live. This is a huge project and they've never really done anything this size before but they're really putting a lot of sweat and blood into it. All they'd really like you to do is try it out and help them make it the best game it can be.

Just 2 cents from someone who's been on both sides of the fence
I've applied for a beta key a few days ago, but no word yet. Your post here has convinced me to try and give it a fair shake and be as objective as possible.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 12:26 AM   #192
USS Drum
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 126

I applied for beta to see if it is a "good" game.
Now, SH4 was the last GOOD Silent Hunter game, SH5 made you want to throw your computer out the window, and this, I predict is gonna make me want to throw my computer out the window and then do gamer rage in front of the devs.
USS Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 01:53 AM   #193
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeadler View Post
Only an indication for the interface designers at Blue Byte, the inevitable slide-out panel that the game must have necessarily

Excellent.

I can see it now. I hear the radioman calling from the SHO radio shack:

Funker: 157 New Radiograms Herr Kaleun! All Spam!!!!
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 05:15 AM   #194
eviljezza
Seaman

Downloads: 73

I just heard about this, and I feel against it. I have signed up for the Beta, you know I gotta try it before I rate it sort of thing but I have my doubts.

I reckon I'll be sticking with SH5 and the great mods that the Subsim community has made.
eviljezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 12:25 PM   #195
USS Drum
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 126

The Beta page said this: You will receive and email shortly.

Errrrr, I don't think a whole night and STILL not getting it is shortly.
USS Drum is offline   Reply With Quote