SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-02-11, 05:07 PM   #1
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6
Default Help me to get a proper rated PSU

I'm going to buy a few components which I haven't changed since my last new build.

In the end the system will be

Intel i7 2600 CPU
NVidia GTX 560 Ti
6 Gb DDR3 RAM
1 Tb HDD 7200rpm
1 DVD-RW optical drive
Gigabyte Ultra Durable 3 motherboard
1 External HDD to power from time to time
1 Mic and headphone to power

And I'm thinking to get a 850 Watt good PSU. Would that be good enough?

Should I get an additional 2Gb DDR3 RAM?

Last edited by Castout; 03-02-11 at 05:42 PM.
Castout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 05:17 PM   #2
the_tyrant
Admiral

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

i believe 600w should be more than enough

http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/
check it out, its a psu calculator
Old 03-02-11, 05:27 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tyrant View Post
i believe 600w should be more than enough
That ^. I got a 750W just because it was the same price than their 600W.

And 6 or 8 GB RAM depends on whether your mainboard supports dual or triple channel.
Old 03-02-11, 05:35 PM   #4
Castout
Silent Hunter

Thanks My mobo supports dual channel. So does that mean I'm better off with even number of RAM stick?

As for the PSU I always aim a tad high because you need to put in the power factor of 0.8 and I'd like a stable power fed in. Higher power rating usually mean longer lasting PSU in general to my understanding.

I had had a horrible experience where my GPU was fried because the PSU failed. I was advised then to buy a local PSU and though it was rated a 700+W PSU it failed after 2 weeks. The main culprit was the total war game I played. So I only buy proper well known PSU now and with higher rating than what I need.
Old 03-02-11, 06:21 PM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout View Post
Thanks My mobo supports dual channel. So does that mean I'm better off with even number of RAM stick?

As for the PSU I always aim a tad high because you need to put in the power factor of 0.8 and I'd like a stable power fed in. Higher power rating usually mean longer lasting PSU in general to my understanding.

I had had a horrible experience where my GPU was fried because the PSU failed. I was advised then to buy a local PSU and though it was rated a 700+W PSU it failed after 2 weeks. The main culprit was the total war game I played. So I only buy proper well known PSU now and with higher rating than what I need.
Dual channel always: 2x or 4x RAM-Bar. These today have 2 or 4 GB per bar.

So with dual channel you either have 4, 8 or 16 RAM

RAM is cheap. Take 8 GB, therefore. I planned for 4 initially, but now I'm happy I did not make that a gospel. I took 8.
Old 03-02-11, 07:58 PM   #6
Castout
Silent Hunter

Yeah I will add another stick to make it 8.

It seems I have been mistaken about the CPU. I will be getting either i7 880 or i7 875K. It's the socket.
picked me a LGA1156 mobo and I didn't know better.

I can live with either i7 875K or 880. I assume 880 price has come down to reasonable value. If not I'll settle with 875K.
Old 03-02-11, 11:54 PM   #7
Castout
Silent Hunter

No i7 8 series available in stock .

I have decided to buy a whole new motherboard to go with i7 2600 rather than buying for socket LGA1366 i7 and mobo. The vendor picked me LGA1156 socket in December. Damn the guy for wasting my money. I was without internet so I couldn't research before buying. Well there's the cellphone but internet on cell is just yuck.
Any advice? I'll definitely buy Gigabyte's ultra durable series but I'm not sure which is the best for my setup.

So it will be

i7 2600
4x 2Gb DDR3
1 Tb 7200 rpm HDD
GTX 560 Ti 1Gb
850 W PSU

And

Gigabyte's ultra durable LGA1155 socket motherboard but which one would be best for my setup.

I'm ill equipped to understand motherboard.

Any advice is appreciated. I intend to upgrade the GPU about 3 years into the life. Maybe the memory too if needed. I only need to run Shogun 2 Total War and Arma 2 Combined Operation flawlessly currently. It doesn't need to run at the highest setting.
Old 03-03-11, 01:45 AM   #8
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Jeesh, er... anything with a P67 chipset, basically. Unless you want to use the onboard GPU of the new Sandy Bridge CPUs, in which case you want H67 chipset.

Beyond that you'll need to compare features and see which one satisfies your needs.

*and of course consider the brand of the PSU. Crappy 750W is no better than a good 500W one, not too mention it's more likely to damage your system.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 03:05 AM   #9
Castout
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
Jeesh, er... anything with a P67 chipset, basically. Unless you want to use the onboard GPU of the new Sandy Bridge CPUs, in which case you want H67 chipset.

Beyond that you'll need to compare features and see which one satisfies your needs.

*and of course consider the brand of the PSU. Crappy 750W is no better than a good 500W one, not too mention it's more likely to damage your system.
Thanks Yeah I trust Enlight for my PSU. I realize it's not well known in the US but it has made a name here.

I'll keep the H67 in mind, won't need them but I'll check them out anyway. Thanks
Old 03-03-11, 03:22 AM   #10
Castout
Silent Hunter

Umm one more thing it's kind of stupid probably but If I use H67 my GTX 560 will still work fine right?

H67 is cheaper than P67 mobo!

Is there any drawback of using both integrated graphics from the CPU and GPU both at the same time?

Edit:

All B3 chipset LGA 1155 motherboard hasn't even arrived. The B2 is a defective product. I'm postponing changing the motherboard and CPU for a couple months until the B3 mobos are stocked.

So all those i7 2600 and any LGA1155 users may be using a defective mobo out there without realizing it.

Last edited by Castout; 03-03-11 at 03:58 AM.
Castout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 04:46 AM   #11
Arclight
Navy Seal

No, everyone knows it. Was a big recall by Intel. Think all manufacturers got reimbursed for the callbacks.

I can't tell you much about Sandy Bridge, will have to read up on that. But normal onboard GPUs don't interfere with dedicated graphics cards normally, so I think it will work. Boards with integrated graphics are usually targeted at lower end users: you'll probably notice that the cheaper H67 boards have less features than the more expensive P67 boards.

I'd avoid it though. Onboard graphics on a gaming system is absolutely useless imo.

Old 03-03-11, 04:57 AM   #12
Castout
Silent Hunter

Thanks B2 LG1155 motherboards are still WIDELY sold here . There's even not a single B3 motherboard on the market.

No one is going to tell you they are defective.
Old 03-03-11, 06:32 AM   #13
Skybird
Soaring

i5 2500 is better value for the money and more bang for the buck than i7 2600 Consider if those minimal performance increases are really worth the much higher price! In all hardware tests I looked at in German sites, the 2500 gets recommended to be preferred over the 2600, for that reason.

http://www.tecchannel.de/_misc/galle...150&fk=2141445

click on the graphic in the article to increase it, and then wade through 28 more graphs.

The two CPUs are almost identical in performance. Don'T throw away your money. The money you save here you can use for an external HD, for example.
Old 03-03-11, 06:42 AM   #14
Castout
Silent Hunter

In my knowledge i5 2500 doesn't come with hyper threading. Yes you do get 4 physical cores but no HT.

But the graphs is astounding those i5 2500s are really fast huh.

I've taken a look at the price of i7 2600. Imo it's worth having the extra threads. It's about 300 bucks here. Arma 2 and Shogun 2 and Empire or Napoleon could make use of those. Better still it looks like I'll be postponing buying the CPU an motherboard altogether for a few months until B3 motherboards are fully stocked. All more time to save.

I know buying 4 cores 8 thread CPU is not much useful if it's just running daily chores but the games which I play however few could make use of those threads
Old 03-03-11, 06:54 AM   #15
Arclight
Navy Seal

Just grab a 760 and clock it to 3.4GHz, done.

* and hyperthreading is more likely to cause lesser performance in games, than an increase.

Last edited by Arclight; 03-03-11 at 07:11 AM.