SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-10-08, 08:14 AM   #166
Crazy Ian
Torpedoman

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

I have one problem myself.. I can install SHIII, get Starforce working and patched up to 1.4

Unfortunately then GWX wont install.. it says I'm not patched up to version 1.4
Old 11-11-08, 10:49 AM   #167
Michael_manchester_uk
Nub

Downloads: 8
Default Solution for SH3 in Vista 64

Hi all,

I Have tried to make my old copy of SH3 run under Vista 64 sp1 without success. I got the starforce error message same as others and had tried the various suggested fixes without success.

Today i was in WH Smiths and saw the "Focus Essential" / "Ubisoft EXclusive" branded SH3 at £9.99 and thought that it was worth a try, especially as my existing copy dates from the games release and is mightily scratched .

I can now confirm that it installed very easily, is pre-patched to version 1.4 and does NOT need the disk in the CD drive to play (i.e no Starforce

it runs a treat on Vista 64 and is, as you would expect, blindingly fast to startup and loadup. Only small issue is that it is a tiny bit too streched on my 22" monitor and looks a tiny bit jaggily in places, but i am working on getting it running in a window so i can shrink it down a little.

hope that this info is of some use to others who are having problems.

Mike
Michael_manchester_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-08, 11:08 AM   #168
Elektranaut
Sailor man

Downloads: 51

Yes indeed,the FOCUS edition I have is enabled for Vista and installs and runs without a problem in sight.Ten Pounds in PC World.
Elektranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-08, 08:35 PM   #169
Spike88
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 36

I'm moving in with my girlfriend and her computer will become "ours". I was planning on getting the D2D version of SH3. Does this method work? Or should I just pay for the shipping and handling and get the amazon version?
Spike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-08, 11:49 PM   #170
fenian
Loader

Downloads: 966

I wish to thank the great shipmates for posting the Amazon information, since upgrading to Vista I thought I had lost SH3. BUT saw this and spent the $ was well worth the wait and now have it with GW and such and it runs and looks fantastic! this with SH4 Gold has been a treat and many a evening lost playing. (ok not every evening, as I am still looking for the bar owning redheaded lass or wishing Jimmie Kimmel ill health so I may provide comfort to Sara Silverman, a man can dream)

Thanks again!

\"Im Irish...which often gets confused for lonely and horny\"
fenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-08, 07:56 PM   #171
Herr Limpet
Watch

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ian
I have one problem myself.. I can install SHIII, get Starforce working and patched up to 1.4

Unfortunately then GWX wont install.. it says I'm not patched up to version 1.4
Just wanted to add my experience in case someone's coming across the same issue;
I just got my new system up and running (new Christmas gift to myself) with Vista 32 and was installing/reinstalling sw that I'd previously had on my XP system. So, after downloading GWX 3.0 (thanks again Wolves team!), I was ready to do a fresh install of SH3/GWX 3 but, with the DVD, got the starforce protection driver error - downloaded the update driver and got SH3 installed then tried to patch it with 1.4b. Though the patch ran fine and even stated that it successfully updated the SH3 install, when I test ran the program and got to the main menu screen it was missing the lower right corner patch upgrade stamp. So, after installing GWX 3.0 and launching it, the load bar progressed as far as 3/4 of the way and freeze and Windows gave me the error "There is a new (not implemented) page <Page Ingame Options>" followed by a box with "Menu ID not found: 0x1a000008".
I uninstalled everything again, reinstalled SH3, ran the patch (again, it runs like it's completing the task without issue), loaded the game to the menu and still no patch upgrade indication in the lower right corner (so I knew it wouldn't take the GW install if I attempted again).
Anyway, the short of it is (and it's been mentioned before, so it needs reiterating) the fix was simply to run the patch as administrator. It'll run successfully just as before, but this time the upgrade will have a valid patch stamp at the menu screen.

Installed GWX 3.0 and it came up fine.
You Grey Wolf dudes are a pretty talented lot.
Herr Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-08, 09:14 PM   #172
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

Also helps to install it out side Program files
I have installed everything bar the OS on D drive
Worked first time and continues to play well

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 01:37 AM   #173
TriskettheKid
Planesman

Downloads: 13

Alright, here's how I got it to work:

I did everything listed so far in this thread, but nothing worked. I still got the Starforce error.

The reason is that Starforce flat out doesn't work with Vista-64. So, there are no drivers to update, no drivers present, nada.

The only work around I have found so far is to "bypass" Starforce by using a NOCD hack. I'm not condoning piracy, but this has been the only way that I've found to get my copy to actually work in Vista 64. Prior to this, I couldn't even get the game to boot up.

I'll be back after I get GWX 3.0 installed.

ETA:

GWX 3.0 boots up fine.
TriskettheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 02:14 AM   #174
A Very Super Market
The Old Man

Downloads: 0

For anyone living in NA and with a fairly fast connection, Steam is a cheap way to get SH3 without starforce. Completely moddable (No real problems for me)

The entire German garrison of Vanviken, right here in your thread!
A Very Super Market is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 01:46 PM   #175
owner20071963
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_acheson
Actually, I have SH3 working now.

1. Delete everything releated to SH3 from your computer after you burn your mods, campign files, etc., to a cd. Somehow Vista finds any files on your computer when you try to update.

2. Reinstall SH3.

3. Load 1.4.

4. Load GWX.

5. Load SF updates.

6. Restart the computer.

7. Everything should work.

SH3, seems to me at least, to run better and load faster with Vista.
With Vista You Need to Run All Games,Patches,etc,etc,As Administrator,
As Above Delete The Compatability Files Too,
Best If You Now Run SH3 GWX3.0 exe File As Administrator,
Over A Clean Install Of SH3 1.4,Happy Hunting.
Old 01-05-09, 02:21 PM   #176
Velko
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Default Vista 64, eXclusive SH3, not working...

Hi! Just read through this all, and couldn't get my Ubisoft eXclusive SH3 working on my brand new Vista 64. I installed normally, the game is already patched to 1.4, found no Starforce thingies anywhere, set compatibility to XP, run as admin: error. 'Protection system - this program works only on etc etc' or something like that.

Now, someone said that Ubi eXclusive works with Vista 64. Wouldn't work for me though... Any solutions that require no further use of money?
Velko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-09, 08:48 PM   #177
owner20071963
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer
Contact Owner and the Guys at Com Sub Pac.
http://www.comsubspac.spruz.com/?pag...d=approval&a=1

You'll have to register but they have a lot of know how with Vista.
Thanks Privateer,
Registrations Are Closed,
Invite Only,
PM Me For An Invite,
With Your Email Address,
We will Sort Your Vista Game Problem,
Whatever It may be,Happy Hunting.
Old 01-10-09, 08:54 PM   #178
owner20071963
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velko
Hi! Just read through this all, and couldn't get my Ubisoft eXclusive SH3 working on my brand new Vista 64. I installed normally, the game is already patched to 1.4, found no Starforce thingies anywhere, set compatibility to XP, run as admin: error. 'Protection system - this program works only on etc etc' or something like that.

Now, someone said that Ubi eXclusive works with Vista 64. Wouldn't work for me though... Any solutions that require no further use of money?
Its a Disc Protection,
Best to buy SH3 From Focus,
No Key Needed,
I Use 64 bit Vista,
No Problems,
Get Rid Of that Old Disc,
SH3 Is Now Without Protection Key,
Download It Here Through Subsim,
Need More Help?
Just PM Me Here
Old 01-17-09, 02:46 PM   #179
Redeagle
Sailor man

Downloads: 1

I got that correct? The only way to get SH3 under Vista 64Bit is to buy it again?

Man this will raise their sell-numbers Although i'm not sure if i want to buy a game i already own again just to go hunting once in a while. As my CD is scratch-free (yet)... And mentionig i'm not sure to get that "Encore" in Germany.

Last edited by Redeagle; 01-18-09 at 07:16 AM.
Redeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 02:37 PM   #180
Lzs von swe
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 66

OK, if you follow these steps you will not need to "right click run as admin" to get patches or mods to work.
This will elevate your privileges to the games folder and Vista´s UAC will no longer hinder you from writing to the folder.

OK, first open the Explorer, go to your Program Files folder and find the Ubisoft folder.
Right click on the folder and click

properties.

In the next window click

security tab, or what it is called in your language:hmm:

In the next window click

on the edit button in the middle of the window.

Then highlight User (your name-computer\User) by clicking once on it.
Then

check the first box, full rights or something, depending on your language.
This will fill in all boxes below. Click OK and sit back for a while.
Vista will now give all folders and files in the Ubisoft folder new flags to allow you to write to and change files without problems.

This will apply to all files present and all files later added to the Ubisoft folder. Incl. any other game you may have installed in that folder.

If you use the Sh3 Commander do this to the SH3 Commander folder too.

Now patching, modding, using JSGME etc will work.