SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-16-06, 01:23 PM   #1
FERdeBOER
XO

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 1
Default how create a Frigate in another country that is controllabe?

Hello all.

I'm making tests and have created a mini Spanish Navy with a Perry frigate.
My question is if I can make it controllable and how.

I'm using DWEdit 1-1-22-1

Thank you in advance
Old 05-16-06, 07:32 PM   #2
Amizaur
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I can tell you it's possible and IIRC legal (SCS don't mind new controllable nationality if it's still same class - still a Perry, a Kilo. I asked about this few months ago, when I made australian Adelaide class (although using all the same weapons and sensors as US Perry) and polish ORP Pulaski and ORP Kosciuszko FFGs.. :-). Unfortunately, with Kilos it's not that easy, you have to sacrifice one playable variant to make another and can't change weapon loadout... But with FFGs it's no problem to ADD another playable national variants, only limitation is to have same sensors and weapons as Perry (so to be a clone of originall Perry, only with own physical characteristics and possibly 3D model).
But don't have time to explain in details how to do this, I'm sure someone else will. At least I can tell you it's possible and OK.
Amizaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-06, 04:07 AM   #3
FERdeBOER
XO

Thank you, I will investigate more.

About the legality... my intentions are only to create navys with items already present in the game, i.e: Spain has Perry variants (called Santa MarĂ­a class), Agosta variants (called Galerna class), etc.
The controllability is no what I search, my first thought y just to created AI navys.

I have no time nor knowlege, neither desire for more than that. I will have no problems with SCS, won't I?

Thank you.
Old 05-17-06, 02:33 PM   #4
Amizaur
Sonar Guy

AI units - no problems at all, controllable units - only clones of existing classes, so other navy's Perry or Kilo. Limitation - same sensors and weapons as original unit have to be used, for the new unit to be controllable. Making polish Perry which is same as US ship - works without problems. Making australian Adelaide class FFG with modified sensors and weapons - unit can't be controllable, only after reverting to original sensors and weapons unit works ok controlled by human.
After making what is needed in DWEdit, to get CONTROLLABLE unit, the controllers.ini file from DW directory has to be modified to add (Perry) or replace (Kilo) a playable unit.
I'm sure you'll find detailed how2do in Subsim forums archives. keywords: controllable units, controllers.ini. There were at least few descriptions IIRC. If you don't find anything, then I'll try to refresh my memory and describe it more detailed.
Old 05-17-06, 04:39 PM   #5
FERdeBOER
XO

Thank you very much!!

Your explanation was enought for me.

Despite that, the new search engine is, in my opinion, worst than the one before. I didn't found nothing

But now I have the Spanish Perry controllable.

Old 05-18-06, 03:07 AM   #6
FERdeBOER
XO

Sorry for being boring, but I want to be sure I'm not doing anything wrong, and my English is not good enought to feel sure about this point.

The controllable FFG, has to be named O.H. Perry class, or can be named as each country names it while all weapons and sensor remains original?

Thank you for your help and patient
Old 05-18-06, 09:53 AM   #7
Amizaur
Sonar Guy

You can name it whatever you want :-) at least this is my understanding of SCS policy, I don't work for them :-). It can be named for example Adelaide class, or be still a Perry class with only new ship names and nationality. All this is in fact only new hulls (ships) for one existing in-game platform - a Perry FFG. Making new platform would be making Type-212 u-boat or Udayou class... or to say it another way - all you can achieve by database (and controllers.ini) editing, is legal. Illegal is altering the game code, like SCU playable sub changer for Sub Command did. This is how I understand it.
Old 05-18-06, 01:00 PM   #8
FERdeBOER
XO

All right, thank you very much.
Old 05-20-06, 07:35 AM   #9
MaHuJa
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amizaur
You can name it whatever you want :-) at least this is my understanding of SCS policy, I don't work for them :-). It can be named for example Adelaide class, or be still a Perry class with only new ship names and nationality. All this is in fact only new hulls (ships) for one existing in-game platform - a Perry FFG. Making new platform would be making Type-212 u-boat or Udayou class... or to say it another way - all you can achieve by database (and controllers.ini) editing, is legal. Illegal is altering the game code, like SCU playable sub changer for Sub Command did. This is how I understand it.
I know that some of what SCU did was merely move the interface files around; e.g. LA ship control, SW sonar, akula tma, etc, to make a new platform. Though I guess in some cases it did some editing to give weapons their correct names, etc.

Anyway, they don't want us to provide any *new* playable platforms at all. Somebody once suggested you could make a virginia class ssn out of the seawolf interface files, plus the 688i weapons/loadout files, and appropriate edits to database and controllers.ini, but I think they'll be all over that one.

I doubt they'll be hitting "variants" of current platforms, like a "foreign perry", though...

Oh and... lastly... the thing they're against is distributing, more than making, such mods. Though I suppose clear instructions on how to do it might qualify.

Or at least, that's how I understood it. Either way, before anything is released, you should ask them directly.

Teaching DW newbies how to climb the food chain.
MaHuJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-06, 09:38 AM   #10
aaken
Planesman

Downloads: 42

Ok, this morning I fired up the neuron and I thought a little bit of this thing of the playable units problem. Given the fact that technically you can create new units just making the 3D model and properly creating the objects in the database (i.e. no dll or exe modification), you can make the newly created unit playable just "overwriting" an existing playable unit. In the process you do not alter any dll or exe. Of course, you will have to use the same interfaces of the playable unit you've just overwritten. But you can modify the sensitivity of the sensors as you like, you can modify the diving depth of the submarine or the maximum speed of the surface ship, and so on. What you won't be able to do is change the weapon load out or add/modify launchers to the playable unit.
This is a limit but still you can change a frigate with a frigate, a sub with a sub provided that they have similar load outs.
You are just modifing the database. Now, in my humble opinion, this is not only possible but also legal. I remind you that other mods, like the famous LwAmi realism mod, do modify the database. Therefore, if the modification of the database is legal and accepted by SCS, then it's possible to change (mind you, just change, not add) playable units. If, on the other hand, the modification of the database is illegal and not accepted by SCS, then also mods like LwAmi are illegal. Since the above mentioned mods like LwAmi seem to be accepted, it just seems logical to me that also the possibility to change playable units should be accepted.